72%
No
28%

Total votes: 25

somberbostonian
All-Time Great

Re: Do you play video games?

Post by somberbostonian »

The 90s GOATs of the NBA and WWE have their own 2K16 covers!
ImageImage
PoLIEtics is for gay fags.
AbeVigodaLive
Clean-Up Crew

Post by AbeVigodaLive »

Bush4Ever wrote:
AbeVigodaLive wrote:
I don't know what an "indie" game is... please explain.
From what I can tell, it's basicallly games that suck, but since they are almost always more simple (and can be played in casual settings like the bus), they go great with people who a) "find beauty and value in simplicity" (see note for additional comments on this), or b) suck at more serious games and so retreat to indie games out of a sense of ego protection.

Note: People who say this are almost always full of shit, and wouldn't *dare* put their money where their mouth is in a tangible way by trading down their house, cutting their stupid wardrobe in half, cutting down entertainment outlets like internet and TV, etc...

Oh. Your assumptions/comments seem odd in response to what I wrote. But, run with it, I guess...
elmouse03
Mount Rushmore

Post by elmouse03 »

So wait. Artman is fat?
Bush4Ever
Board Alpha Male

Post by Bush4Ever »

AbeVigodaLive wrote:
Oh. Your assumptions/comments seem odd in response to what I wrote. But, run with it, I guess...
Your assumption is to assume I read what you wrote.

Nice job. You should be more careful in the future.
Taking a break from the board. Please reference my last post for more details if you are interested.
AbeVigodaLive
Clean-Up Crew

Post by AbeVigodaLive »

Bush4Ever wrote:
AbeVigodaLive wrote:

Damn. You went all Artman on me. Nice.

[Note: Just realized the last game I played was The Walking Dead on the iPad. Is that an indie game?]
Bush4Ever
Board Alpha Male

Post by Bush4Ever »

AbeVigodaLive wrote:

[Note: Just realized the last game I played was The Walking Dead on the iPad. Is that an indie game?]
I don't know.

It's just one of those things that bugs me more than it should.

It's just insane to me that people enjoy the types of games you find on Facebook and the like. I have a difficult time believing them.
Taking a break from the board. Please reference my last post for more details if you are interested.
Kingcarl24
G.O.A.T.

Post by Kingcarl24 »

Madnessssss wrote:[youtube]2Ep8f-ChSbE[/youtube]

Easily one of the best stories in a video game. Easily.
Kingcarl24
G.O.A.T.

Post by Kingcarl24 »

Madnessssss wrote:
AbeVigodaLive wrote:
Bush4Ever wrote:

Yeah, and Jurassic world is an indie movie
By definition I'm pretty sure The Walking Dead was an indie game. I could be wrong though.
AbeVigodaLive
Clean-Up Crew

Post by AbeVigodaLive »

Madnessssss wrote:
Kingcarl24 wrote:
Madnessssss wrote: Yeah, and Jurassic world is an indie movie
By definition I'm pretty sure The Walking Dead was an indie game. I could be wrong though.
Oh, maybe. I didn't think an indie studio would be able to land the rights.

So, all I've learned in this thread is that I still don't know what an indie game is.

[Note: And that The Last of Us looks pretty cool.]
Kingcarl24
G.O.A.T.

Post by Kingcarl24 »

Madnessssss wrote:
Kingcarl24 wrote:
Madnessssss wrote: Yeah, and Jurassic world is an indie movie
I don't think it was made by a major studio.
Bush4Ever
Board Alpha Male

Post by Bush4Ever »

Madnessssss wrote:
The best story in a game I've played, and I've had a tough time getting into any game since. I'm sure Fallout 4 will be great. I loved fallout 3 when it came out.
I saw that video, and actually went out of my way to find a clip on YT that just had the story (minus gameplay).

So, so good.
kobeunderbite
Proud supporter of President Trump.

Post by kobeunderbite »

Madness disrespected me2, the most critically acclaimed game ever, what a moron.
Kingcarl24
G.O.A.T.

Post by Kingcarl24 »

AbeVigodaLive wrote:
Madnessssss wrote:
Kingcarl24 wrote:

So, all I've learned in this thread is that I still don't know what an indie game is.

It's a game made by a small independent company. They normally don't have the money or the backing that major studios have so their games are normally more innovative and creative because they can't afford the huge graphic or size boost.
Kingcarl24
G.O.A.T.

Post by Kingcarl24 »

Madnessssss wrote:
Kingcarl24 wrote:
Madnessssss wrote:[youtube]2Ep8f-ChSbE[/youtube]

Easily one of the best stories in a video game. Easily.
The best story in a game I've played, and I've had a tough time getting into any game since. I'm sure Fallout 4 will be great. I loved fallout 3 when it came out.
I skip a lot of cutscenes because I find most to be boring and pretentious (See any Metal Gear game). Naughty Dog games do it right. I didn't skip one scene in The Last of Us. It was too good of a story to miss out on. It's reason alone to buy a PS4.
Kingcarl24
G.O.A.T.

Post by Kingcarl24 »

Madnessssss wrote:
AbeVigodaLive wrote:
Madnessssss wrote: Oh, maybe. I didn't think an indie studio would be able to land the rights.

It's just like movies. There's big studios that spend $50-$100 million developing a game, and there's smaller studios that don't have the budget but they try make up for it by making the games more artful. They're generally simpler games and often cheap or free downloaded right from playstation store, or on phones and tablets.
If you're into indie games, Playstation is the place to be. They seem to get the best of those games.
elartman1973
El Padrino

Post by elartman1973 »

My brother in law worked for EA sports here in Orlando for about 12 years....he fucking hated it..badly run and mismanaged..they constantly fucked him over despite his being a supervison for the college hoops game and others like Madden,
just a couple months ago he quit and took a real job with a tech company that is a defense contractor (there's a lot of those here in Orlando, it's a hub for tech people, especially in defense since we are near NASA and Lockheed Martin)
Says it's the best carer move he ever made...video games are for children and the people making them are losers and have no concept of how to use thier large pay and are the types to buy a brand new Porsche but still rent a one bedroom shack...fucking idiots...almost like hood rich brothas
"I'm drivin Caddy, you fixin a FORD"

Kingcarl24
G.O.A.T.

Post by Kingcarl24 »

Madnessssss wrote:
Kingcarl24 wrote:
Madnessssss wrote: It's just like movies. There's big studios that spend $50-$100 million developing a game, and there's smaller studios that don't have the budget but they try make up for it by making the games more artful. They're generally simpler games and often cheap or free downloaded right from playstation store, or on phones and tablets.
If you're into indie games, Playstation is the place to be. They seem to get the best of those games.
I'm not into indie games. I like my games to have $100 mil worth of production lol. I only play 1-2 a year so I try get the cream of the crop.
I'm honestly not into them either. I don't get the fascination with games that would have been cool 10 years ago.
Macrotus
Hall of Famer

Post by Macrotus »

indie music, indie movie...indie game.

basically, anything that is not mainstream popular.
AbeVigodaLive
Clean-Up Crew

Post by AbeVigodaLive »

Kingcarl24 wrote:
AbeVigodaLive wrote:
Madnessssss wrote: Oh, maybe. I didn't think an indie studio would be able to land the rights.

It's a game made by a small independent company. They normally don't have the money or the backing that major studios have so their games are normally more innovative and creative because they can't afford the huge graphic or size boost.

So better stories and gameplay and originality... but worse graphics?
Bush4Ever
Board Alpha Male

Post by Bush4Ever »

AbeVigodaLive wrote:

So better stories and gameplay and originality... but worse graphics?
No, not even that.

I think most people have a bias towards ranking the *best* indie games against the *average* mainstream game when they make statements like that.

IMO, there is no area whatsoever indie games match well against mainstream games, on average, and they certainly do not on the whole (how many people would buy farmville if it cost 30-50 dollars?).