No
28%

Total votes: 25

Bush4Ever
Board Alpha Male

Re: Do you play video games?

Post by Bush4Ever »

elartman1973 wrote:
You diss all ki ds of shit other people do...video games are dumb...wasted too much time on that crap when I was younger...as a child..we would only llay video games when we couldnt play outside ecause of rain..but making them first option is pathetic... you will understand when you grow up and are actually an adult...if you make it that far
I'm an adult with more responsibilities than you (but less fatness), and you are 100 percent incorrect.

You are also fat.
Taking a break from the board. Please reference my last post for more details if you are interested.
gaskill15
You go, we go... forever

Post by gaskill15 »

Arty insinuating kub will die young because of a video game thread.

:susp:
americaninfidel
All-Time Great

Post by americaninfidel »

Master Spade wrote:Not nearly as much as I used to. But that is more the result of the fact that there seems to be a Huge, Long, Drought as far as Good Games go.

I started back in the Atari/Coleco Vision days when I was a kid. Also the Arcade days. Now, I still have the:

Super Ninetendo
Nintendo 64
Nintendo Gamecube
XBOX
XBOX 360

I haven't purchased the Newer Systems simply because they have ZERO games that I want/need to play! Up until this Generation, when the newer ones were being released, you had to buy the new one for all the games it already had, and you HAD to play!! But not anymore...... :noidea: Their Loss of $$$

-------BTW OP, what games have you played, that you can say you don't like Video Games? Maybe you simply haven't played the good one?

:noidea:
I also played the Atari games: Pacman, Defender, Galaga (sp?), Centipede, etc. Donkey Kong. The last video game I was really into was Metal Gear, which I played while deployed in Bosnia back in 1998-99.
Fear is the mind killer. We are not afraid.
elartman1973
El Padrino

Post by elartman1973 »

gaskill15 wrote:Arty insinuating kub will die young because of a video game thread.

:susp:
No..but there no guarantee he makes it to 30 much less 40...so he shouldnt make fun of those who have lived that long...theyve already accomplished more than he has
"I'm drivin Caddy, you fixin a FORD"

americaninfidel
All-Time Great

Kingcarl24 wrote:Everyone has their own ways of wasting time. I'm not sure why anyone thinks their way of wasting time is better than another's.

I play games and probably always will. I love it and it gives me a great escape.
I do understand that different things interest different people, and I can certainly see how my OP came across as needlessly judgmental. It's just that, for me anyway, video games will forever be tied to my youth; hence, I consider them children's games. YMMV.
americaninfidel
All-Time Great

gaskill15 wrote:There may not be a bigger turn on in the world than when a woman plays video games.
I suppose you are a big Meg Turney fan then?
elartman1973
El Padrino

Post by elartman1973 »

Bush4Ever wrote:
elartman1973 wrote:
You diss all ki ds of shit other people do...video games are dumb...wasted too much time on that crap when I was younger...as a child..we would only llay video games when we couldnt play outside ecause of rain..but making them first option is pathetic... you will understand when you grow up and are actually an adult...if you make it that far
I'm an adult with more responsibilities than you (but less fatness), and you are 100 percent incorrect.

You are also fat.
Im not fat and you dont even know what a responsibility is...a d you sure as hell dont have more than I do..thats for damn sure..
Any moremstupid assumptions that expose your total immaturity?
"I'm drivin Caddy, you fixin a FORD"

manchild98
Hidden Member

Post by manchild98 »

My wife bought me a playstation for Christmas back in the late 90's. I hardly ever used it. So I haven't played a video game in about 15 years.
vcsgrizzfan
Mount Rushmore

Post by vcsgrizzfan »

gaskill15 wrote:There may not be a bigger turn on in the world than when a woman plays video games.
I had you pegged more as a guy who got turned on by a woman who can ride a John Deere tractor in a straight line.
Kingcarl24
G.O.A.T.

Post by Kingcarl24 »

americaninfidel wrote:
Kingcarl24 wrote:Everyone has their own ways of wasting time. I'm not sure why anyone thinks their way of wasting time is better than another's.

I play games and probably always will. I love it and it gives me a great escape.
I do understand that different things interest different people, and I can certainly see how my OP came across as needlessly judgmental. It's just that, for me anyway, video games will forever be tied to my youth; hence, I consider them children's games. YMMV.
I grew up with video games and they've been a part of my life since I was born. Games have evolved and grown right with me. I think it's a great way to relax. Most of the games I play involve great puzzle solving skills which is why I enjoy them. Even games like Call of Duty force you to think things through and plan accordingly. If I'm playing the SP, there is always a level or a section that I have to stop and figure out the patterns and decide how to attack.

Like most of you, I enjoy other things as well. I love playing basketball and do so up to 3 times a week for 2 hours at a time. I enjoy running on my treadmill as well as road tripping with my wife. I love working on my yard and garden. I love to read and have already read more than a few books just this year. Off the top of my head, I've read, American Sniper, Lone Survivor, Gone Girl, The Girl on the Train, I finished the third Game of Thrones book and now I reading Modern Romance. I come home from work and normally play with my kids until bed time and play video games once my wife falls asleep or she wants to watch one of her shows on Netflix.

Attacking video games is like the old guy at work that complains about the younger kids wasting so much time on social media sites while reading his newspaper at his desk and drinking his coffee.
gaskill15
You go, we go... forever

Post by gaskill15 »

americaninfidel wrote:
I suppose you are a big Meg Turney fan then?
I had never heard of her before but after looking her up I'd dip.
Deez
G.O.A.T.

Post by Deez »

I don't anymore. I used to and maybe would once in a blue moon if i had a good system but then again I don't want my kids sitting in front of a TV all the time.
gaskill15
You go, we go... forever

Post by gaskill15 »

vcsgrizzfan wrote:
I had you pegged more as a guy who got turned on by a woman who can ride a John Deere tractor in a straight line.
Back in the day those were my stipulations but nowadays tractors basically drive themselves!

However, driving one of those trashy International Harvester tractors into a deep ditch would earn some lucky lady a ticket to Pound Town.
vcsgrizzfan
Mount Rushmore

Post by vcsgrizzfan »

There's a lot of ways to waste time - including posting here.

Two of my kids are big gamers - my oldest son and my middle son. My youngest son plays some but not that much, and my daughter pretty much has entirely given them up. My daughter by nature works hard and makes the most of her time. Her "off time" usually involves sports. She plays soccer mostly (several leagues both indoor and outdoor), field hockey and hoops (one league each). My boys play sports as well, but not as much, but game more than I would like. To me, the line is drawn at when the gaming affects your potential and interferes with you achieving it. To me, my two oldest boys and in particular my middle son devote too much time to it and it affects their performance at more important things. It doesn't interfere to the point where I can make a federal case out of it (they both have good grades in university), not to mention they are too old for me to nag them, but enough that I know there's no free lunch. The "opportunity cost" is nebulous, but it is real.

When I see someone explain it like Kingcarl24 and how he uses it, that to me is above reproach. I think a lot of people have trouble putting gaming in that healthy compartment though.
Kingcarl24
G.O.A.T.

Post by Kingcarl24 »

vcsgrizzfan wrote:There's a lot of ways to waste time - including posting here.

Two of my kids are big gamers - my oldest son and my middle son. My youngest son plays some but not that much, and my daughter pretty much has entirely given them up. My daughter by nature works hard and makes the most of her time. Her "off time" usually involves sports. She plays soccer mostly (several leagues both indoor and outdoor), field hockey and hoops (one league each). My boys play sports as well, but not as much, but game more than I would like. To me, the line is drawn at when the gaming affects your potential and interferes with you achieving it. To me, my two oldest boys and in particular my middle son devote too much time to it and it affects their performance at more important things. It doesn't interfere to the point where I can make a federal case out of it (they both have good grades in university), not to mention they are too old for me to nag them, but enough that I know there's no free lunch. The "opportunity cost" is nebulous, but it is real.

When I see someone explain it like Kingcarl24 and how he uses it, that to me is above reproach. I think a lot of people have trouble putting gaming in that healthy compartment though.
I think it's like anything else though. If any activity is affecting your potential and interferes with you achieving it than it's a bad thing. I've even met people that I would say exercising has affected their potential because of how much time they devote to it. My little brother ran Iron Man's during college and made that his focus. He dropped out of school to train. Now he's nearing 30 and has no real job and is kind of floating through life. He's in great shape though and at least he didn't waste it playing video games am i right? (sorry that came off kind of snarky)

I think a healthy amount of video games can help someone to understand problem solving and is great for socializing. For example, I'd MUCH rather my girls play video games then watch mindless cartoons all day long (if those are the only two available options). I have a ton of fun playing Lego Marvel Super Heroes with my oldest and watching her try to figure out how to beat the different bosses.
Macrotus
Hall of Famer

Post by Macrotus »

elartman1973 wrote:
Bush4Ever wrote:
elartman1973 wrote:

You are also fat.
Im not fat and you dont even know what a responsibility is...a d you sure as hell dont have more than I do..thats for damn sure..
Any moremstupid assumptions that expose your total immaturity?
AbeVigodaLive
Clean-Up Crew

Post by AbeVigodaLive »

I don't play video games.

But what I've seen out there... there are some pretty cool games. So it's probably better if I continue to stay away. Inherently, I'm a procrastinator, so I don't really need another distraction that keeps me from being "productive."

I will say that I hope any kids I might have stay away from them as much as possible. I don't want them to choose to play NBA games online instead of going to play basketball at the park. I know they're cool and they have a place. (I grew up playing video games AND playing in the neighborhood a lot) but I think kids entertaining themselves should be the first option.
Bush4Ever
Board Alpha Male

Post by Bush4Ever »

AbeVigodaLive wrote:I don't play video games.

But what I've seen out there... there are some pretty cool games. So it's probably better if I continue to stay away. Inherently, I'm a procrastinator, so I don't really need another distraction that keeps me from being "productive."

I will say that I hope any kids I might have stay away from them as much as possible. I don't want them to choose to play NBA games online instead of going to play basketball at the park. I know they're cool and they have a place. (I grew up playing video games AND playing in the neighborhood a lot) but I think kids entertaining themselves should be the first option.
You seem like the guy who would go out of his way to play indie games over XBox/PS4 type games, not realizing or caring that most indie games suck.
Taking a break from the board. Please reference my last post for more details if you are interested.
AbeVigodaLive
Clean-Up Crew

Post by AbeVigodaLive »

Bush4Ever wrote:
AbeVigodaLive wrote:I don't play video games.

You seem like the guy who would go out of his way to play indie games over XBox/PS4 type games, not realizing or caring that most indie games suck.

I don't know what an "indie" game is... please explain.
Bush4Ever
Board Alpha Male

Post by Bush4Ever »

AbeVigodaLive wrote:
I don't know what an "indie" game is... please explain.
From what I can tell, it's basicallly games that suck, but since they are almost always more simple (and can be played in casual settings like the bus), they go great with people who a) "find beauty and value in simplicity" (see note for additional comments on this), or b) suck at more serious games and so retreat to indie games out of a sense of ego protection.

Note: People who say this are almost always full of shit, and wouldn't *dare* put their money where their mouth is in a tangible way by trading down their house, cutting their stupid wardrobe in half, cutting down entertainment outlets like internet and TV, etc...