G.O.A.T.

Re: Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice new trailer

Post by Kingcarl24 »

Both look great. Good find.
rtiff68
Hall of Famer

Post by rtiff68 »

Kobeunderbite wrote:"Yor sacrifice will mean our survival" - Magneto would do anything necessary for the sake of the race in the comics as well, including attempt to wipe out humanity on multiple occasions. Additionally he had already tried the machine with himself on Sen. Kelly and it went poorly, and was still touching Rogue for the whole process to work, severely weakening him and putting his life in danger, so it's not like he wasn't putting himself at risk.

I think the portrayl of Magneto by Singer/McKellen has been the best and most authentic feeling aspect of all of the films.
He also snickers to Mystique about the grey streak in Rogue's hair in X2-- was making fun of the children he attempted to sacrifice really a Magneto trait?

Yeah, the machine nearly killed him, and it would have absolutely killed Rogue. Using the machine meant death.

The comics' version of Magneto was not a petty pussy who would sacrifice a child in his place to achieve his end game-- he was absolutely willing to wipe out humanity to achieve what he views as the greater good, but he sure as shit wouldn't throw a kid under the bus when he could do it himself and then tease her about it to her face.

Outside of those minor quibbles, I think they did a pretty good job with the character overall, and absolutely nailed it in "Days of Future Past."
kobeunderbite
Proud supporter of President Trump.

Post by kobeunderbite »

I pretty much disagree. He shot up Quicksilver's (his son's) kneecaps when he thought he did a bad job of leading of the brotherhood in the comics, ripped Wolverine's adamantium out of his skin, attempted to kill thousands/millions on a number of occasions. Whether or not he's a villain depends on your perspective some of the time but he does pretty blatantly evil things, making fun of Rogue does not seem wholly beneath him to me. I don't think Rogue was a child in X2 either, I think she was supposed to be an adult legally.
rtiff68
Hall of Famer

Post by rtiff68 »

Kobeunderbite wrote:I pretty much disagree. He shot up Quicksilver's (his son's) kneecaps when he thought he did a bad job of leading of the brotherhood in the comics, ripped Wolverine's adamantium out of his skin, attempted to kill thousands/millions on a number of occasions. Whether or not he's a villain depends on your perspective some of the time but he does pretty blatantly evil things, making fun of Rogue does not seem wholly beneath him to me. I don't think Rogue was a child in X2 either, I think she was supposed to be an adult legally.
Fair enough.

There's been dozens of renditions of him over the years, so perspective on his character can certainly vary, and several different perspectives can all provide solid source material and/or canon to back up their respective positions.

He was also a member of the X-Men at one point. He also expressed shock once during a battle because Wolverine attempted to kill him ("That was a killing attack!"...from the early 90's Blue Team/Red Team period).

Depending upon the writer, Magneto has been more/less "dark." One thing I always loved about the character is the fact that he's always been an extremely self righteous villain; he's always after his own twisted version of the greater good, not all about self-serving narcissistic gloating.

Like I said, I think they really nailed the character in DoFP, and I loved the rendition of him in the "Age of Apocalypse" storyline.
kobeunderbite
Proud supporter of President Trump.

Post by kobeunderbite »

Agreed on several fronts. Many (most film adaptations of) comic book villains believe themselves to be the hero/acting for the greater good but Magneto takes it to another level and in many instances he's actually right. Makes for the greatest anti hero that there is imo.

It's nice that the films have managed to feature Magneto and the X-Men working together a lot of the time despite not featuring the more traditional X-Men villains that have warranted the partnership, like Apocalypse (as in AoA as you mentioned) or Mr. Sinister like in X-Men vs the Avengers, which I hope they adapt if the studios ever work together.

The only problem I have with the movie iteration is McKellen's accent, or lack thereof, although I've mostly gotten over that.
Macrotus
Hall of Famer

Post by Macrotus »

visually it looks very impressive...i just worry it revealed too much in the trailer.
thatoothpick45
All-Time Great

Post by thatoothpick45 »

https://instagram.com/p/5FjBySQO1v/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
thatoothpick45
All-Time Great

Post by thatoothpick45 »

[youtube]JIBSEBj6YhQ[/youtube]
Bush4Ever
Board Alpha Male

Post by Bush4Ever »

Is Batman better than Superman?

When healthy?

Guys?

When healthy?

:noidea:
Taking a break from the board. Please reference my last post for more details if you are interested.
elmouse03
Mount Rushmore

Post by elmouse03 »

Bush4Ever wrote:Is Batman better than Superman?

When healthy?

Guys?

When healthy?

:noidea:
Yao is better than both.....when healthy
elartman1973
El Padrino

Post by elartman1973 »

Waste of time thread
"I'm drivin Caddy, you fixin a FORD"