hey grizz

Talk about anything here.
LeBronMonsterDunk
Clean-Up Crew

Re: hey grizz

Post by LeBronMonsterDunk »

You're going to need to be a lot more specific than that.
You never liked me, probably don't like me still, but a ***** liking me aint never paid my bills
vcsgrizzfan
Mount Rushmore

Post by vcsgrizzfan »

Just hitting the sheets. Fire away any questions and I'll answer tomorrow. Cheers.

By the way, just flew back from Arizona today. It was freaking roasting down there.
vcsgrizzfan
Mount Rushmore

Post by vcsgrizzfan »

Max. wrote:
LeBronMonsterDunk wrote:You're going to need to be a lot more specific than that.
Well I was waiting for him to respond.

My problem is that I've been bulking for the last 2 years and I've surpassed my goal. I want to trim down a little but I'm not sure how to do so.

It's not that complicated but requires discipline. I'll give you details tomorrow that I promise if you follow, will work. Goodnight chief.
LeBronMonsterDunk
Clean-Up Crew

Post by LeBronMonsterDunk »

Max. wrote:
LeBronMonsterDunk wrote:You're going to need to be a lot more specific than that.
Well I was waiting for him to respond.

My problem is that I've been bulking for the last 2 years and I've surpassed my goal. I want to trim down a little but I'm not sure how to do so.
Well first things first.

You will absolutely lose strength when you cut if you are not on gear, there is no way around it.

Now that's out of the way, the easiest way to cut by far is to simply reduce caloric intake. If you've been eating 3kcals a day, drop it to 2.25 or 2kcals.

If you want to retain as much mass as possible then you can slightly reduce your caloric intake (3k to 2.5k as an example) and carb cycle at the same time. You can google carb cycling for an easy guide on how to do so.

There is no secret to cutting besides consuming less calories than you have been and maintaining that for 8-10 weeks.
You never liked me, probably don't like me still, but a ***** liking me aint never paid my bills
vcsgrizzfan
Mount Rushmore

Post by vcsgrizzfan »

A few things.

First, while you need to cut calories to lose weight, you really want to ensure that as big a portion of the weight you lose is fat as possible, and as much muscle as possible is spared. Building up muscle naturally is difficult and you sure don't want to lose more than you have to when you are cutting.

To that end, when you cut calories, try to make sure you aren't cutting protein. Keeping protein intake high is proven to lessen muscle loss during weight loss.

Secondly, don't try to cut by doing a lot of steady state cardio. That also takes a big toll on muscle. I'm a big proponent of high intensity interval training or HIIT. You can do them on ellipticals, stationary bikes or other equipment. I favor the elliptical at my gym because tension adjusts instantly on those. There are many variations, but basically do a decent warmup (I go 5-8 minutes or so usually) and then start the intervals. One variation would be to go all out for 20 seconds, rest 40 seconds (reduce the setting dramatically and going slow) and repeat up to 11 times. Then an easy cool down. It's only 4 minutes of actual work but it's brutal. You might need to build up to 12. I'll also do it where I go 30 seconds with 90 seconds rest and do 8 of them, which again is 4 minutes of actual work. The variations are obviously many. I suggest you only do these 2 times a week, maybe 3 on occasion. They really do kick the crap out of you and require recovery. It's amazing how effective they are in building cardiovascular fitness, reducing weight while sparing muscle.

Thirdly, in your weight lifting, emphasize the big compound exercises. These include deadlifts, squats, lunges, leg press, bench press, military press, dips, chins and incline bench press. You can throw in isolation exercises like curls and triceps presses but it's really about the big compound exercises. Try to work in a range where you can do 4-6 reps before failing. When you can do 6, add a bit of weight and work to build the reps back to 6. I favor 1-2 easyish warmup sets and 3 difficult work sets in that 4-6 rep range per exercise.

Eat real food as much as possible. I avoid flour products and get my carbs from sweet potato, baked potatoes and occasionally rice. I eat a lot of vegetables and a lot of berries which are nutritionally really dense while carrying few calories.

Lift maybe 3-4 days a week and intervals 2 days a week. Obviously, split the weightlifting exercises into different days.

It's all about trying to spare muscle. Keys again are lots of protein, cut calories to around 2000 a day, use HIIT and lift regularly and heavy emphasizing the big compound exercises.

Cheers and good luck.