All-Time Great

Re: better pure scorer: Kobe or LeBron

Post by wailuaFC »

Define pure scorer
DorianRo
Superstar

Post by DorianRo »

I can stay objective as I can't stand either guy.. But. Prime for Prime I would say Kobe. . Just way more diverse on the offensive end with more tricks up his sleeve. Lebron's offense is very one dimensional (though efficient but no so much anymore) and it should result in MANY Offensive fouls but hes the poster boy for the NBA (Despite these constant egg laying finals) so he gets a free pass.

Lebron's offensive numbers also rely HEAVILY on Ref aid. While some of Kobe's offensive numbers obviously did too, it wasn't NEARLY on the same level as Lebron's
Last edited by DorianRo on Sat Jun 13, 2015 12:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
elmouse03
Mount Rushmore

Post by elmouse03 »

wailuaFC wrote:Define pure scorer
A guy who can score in a variety of ways and can make it look easy at times is the only definition I can think of.

LeBron has the better efficiency but I think Kobe has the better creativity.
PhutureDynasty
Mount Rushmore

Post by PhutureDynasty »

Kobe for volume, LeBron for efficiency.
wailuaFC
All-Time Great

Post by wailuaFC »

elmouse03 wrote:
A guy who can score in a variety of ways and can make it look easy at times is the only definition I can think of.

I think you need a clear definition before asking this question, and the aesthetic of the shot has no impact on the effectiveness, so I don't see why that would affect who is the better scorer. Lebron averages more points on better percentages, I love kobe but lebron is better at putting the ball in the hoop. That being said, kobe is quite a bit more of an explosive scorer, but that's due to the nature in which they both score (easier to get a hot hand and pull up from deep then to continually back guys down all game)
elmouse03
Mount Rushmore

Post by elmouse03 »

wailuaFC wrote:
elmouse03 wrote:

I think you need a clear definition before asking this question, and the aesthetic of the shot has no impact on the effectiveness, so I don't see why that would affect who is the better scorer. Lebron averages more points on better percentages, I love kobe but lebron is better at putting the ball in the hoop. That being said, kobe is quite a bit more of an explosive scorer, but that's due to the nature in which they both score (easier to get a hot hand and pull up from deep then to continually back guys down all game)
oh quit being so picky.
wailuaFC
All-Time Great

Post by wailuaFC »

elmouse03 wrote:
wailuaFC wrote:
elmouse03 wrote:

oh quit being so picky.
My apologies, I thought you were wanting responses
Y2K
One Mizzou. Then. Now. Always.

Post by Y2K »

I don't belive in "pure scorers" honestly. You're either a scorer or you're not.

But if I had to pick, I'd go with Kobe.

I'm a baaaddd motherfucker!!
elmouse03
Mount Rushmore

Post by elmouse03 »

wailuaFC wrote:
elmouse03 wrote:
wailuaFC wrote: I think you need a clear definition before asking this question, and the aesthetic of the shot has no impact on the effectiveness, so I don't see why that would affect who is the better scorer. Lebron averages more points on better percentages, I love kobe but lebron is better at putting the ball in the hoop. That being said, kobe is quite a bit more of an explosive scorer, but that's due to the nature in which they both score (easier to get a hot hand and pull up from deep then to continually back guys down all game)
oh quit being so picky.
My apologies, I thought you were wanting responses
I accept your apology and I do want responses.
elmerjfudd
The Lurker

Post by elmerjfudd »

LeBron

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
somberbostonian
All-Time Great

Post by somberbostonian »

Bryant's offensive skillset better suited for a 1-on-1 game. James' offensive skillset is better suited for a 5-on-5 game.
PoLIEtics is for gay fags.
Titan18
In Theo we trust

Post by Titan18 »

Rose
sportswise1
All-Time Great

Post by sportswise1 »

Pure shooter is possibly a better way to separate the two
it usually means someone like Curry who has good range and can score anywhere on the court with accuracy and while guarded closely
based on that-i would take Kobe
if you just say pure scorer -which is IMO a different thing--I take Lebron by a close margin, because he can penetrate and score inside much easier and also in transition

Obviously we are talking both in their prime because Kobe can't compare in any area of the game now to Lebron!
sportswise1
sportswise1
All-Time Great

Post by sportswise1 »

somberbostonian wrote:Bryant's offensive skillset better suited for a 1-on-1 game. James' offensive skillset is better suited for a 5-on-5 game.
just the opposite
sportswise1
Odogg
Hall of Famer

Post by Odogg »

Kobe. Better natural shooter, more creative.
thedangerouskitchen
G.O.A.T.

Post by thedangerouskitchen »

When it comes to Scoring Kobe is an Alpha... his efficiency/shot selection sucks, and his horrific chuck-fests are legendary; however you can't argue the fact that he's got Scoring in his DNA.

LeBron not so much... and by his own admission. Sure, he can drop 40 on you; however he does so because he HAS TO (like Pippen). Kobe Scores because he WANTS to.

So the answer is Kobe.
"Today's NBA is soft, the Defense is weak, and the rules 'really' favor the Offense."

"Lebron doesn’t guard for a full game and our game plan was to get him to play defense and he left me open all game."
rtiff68
Hall of Famer

Post by rtiff68 »

thedangerouskitchen wrote:When it comes to Scoring Kobe is an Alpha... his efficiency/shot selection sucks, and his horrific chuck-fests are legendary; however you can't argue the fact that he's got Scoring in his DNA.

LeBron not so much... and by his own admission. Sure, he can drop 40 on you; however he does so because he HAS TO (like Pippen). Kobe Scores because he WANTS to.

So the answer is Kobe.
It sounds like you're saying that poor shot selection should be considered a positive in this debate, and I definitely do not agree with that.

Overall, it's certainly very debatable. One thing I find interesting is the notion that everyone seems to agree that Kobe is/was the more versatile scorer. Around the rim, LeBron is absolutely superior; in the mid-range, Kobe is unquestionably superior; from beyond the arc, they both have averaged 4.0 attempts per game for their respective careers (the fact that these were identical was surprising to me), and while neither has impressive efficiency on said shots, LeBron has the slight edge (.342 to .334).
AtiliusRegulus
Mount Rushmore

Post by AtiliusRegulus »

Kobe is a chucker.
Check the method from Bedrock, 'cause I rock your head to bed
elmouse03
Mount Rushmore

Post by elmouse03 »

Max. wrote:Kobe.

I love Lebron, but he's basically T-Mac with better teammates.
:o

Thats gonna ruffle some feathers