Why is Richard Sherman getting so many racist Tweets?

Talk about anything here.
zombiesonics
Mount Rushmore

Why is Richard Sherman getting so many racist Tweets?

Post by zombiesonics »

I don't get it.... Someone please explain.
town bidness
All-Star

Re: Why is Richard Sherman getting so many racist Tweets?

Post by town bidness »

zombiesonics wrote:I don't get it.... Someone please explain.
oh you know why.
Havlicekstealsit
G.O.A.T.

Post by Havlicekstealsit »

Because it's better to hide behind the anonymity of a screen than saying it to his face.
Ali Natural
Superstar

Post by Ali Natural »

People who aren't even racist act like it on the Internet.
AbeVigodaLive
Clean-Up Crew

Post by AbeVigodaLive »

As I noted before, Sherman trolls.

And now the trolls troll him back online.

It's part of the social media game where anonymity enables people to be assholes in unspeakable ways that only muddy the waters of the original story. At least Sherman trolls as himself.
zombiesonics
Mount Rushmore

Post by zombiesonics »

town bidness wrote:
oh you know why.
It just further proves my point that today's social media world is much more critical and hateful for top athletes (Lebron, etc...).
AbeVigodaLive
Clean-Up Crew

Post by AbeVigodaLive »

zombiesonics wrote:
town bidness wrote:
oh you know why.
It just further proves my point that today's social media world is much more critical and hateful for top athletes (Lebron, etc...).

It is. But conversely, in our disposable, more accessible, more immediate news cycle, those same guys are heralded in new and wider-reaching ways than ever before.

It works both ways. And, let's be honest... in today's society... almost any news is good news for a celebrity or athlete.
kobeunderbite
Proud supporter of President Trump.

Post by kobeunderbite »

Because his buffoonery is similar to a lot of the common negative African American male stereotypes.

This seems obvious, to me.
town bidness
All-Star

Post by town bidness »

zombiesonics wrote:
town bidness wrote:
oh you know why.
well there's that, the age old double standard and americas basically schizophrenic issues with black masculinity.

this whole sherman fracas and other stories like this are always very interesting although it's been repeated time and time again. remember how ali was portrayed while he was in his moment of ascendancy?

lebron got a taste when he left cle, which he had a right to do.... legacy issues aside to a bball aficionado.
Deez
G.O.A.T.

Post by Deez »

No need for racial comments just because he said some moronic things.
town bidness
All-Star

Post by town bidness »

Ali Natural wrote:People who aren't even racist act like it on the Internet.
very true. some just want to strike as low a blow as possible even if they are not outwardly racist in the traditional sense. then again, 'soft racism' can often time be a part of that sort of phenomenon also.
AbeVigodaLive
Clean-Up Crew

Post by AbeVigodaLive »

deezna10 wrote:No need for racial comments just because he said some moronic things.

The boorish assholes harassing him have actually helped to deflect attention from his boorish, attention-seeking behavior and made him into a bit of a victim.
Deez
G.O.A.T.

Post by Deez »

AbeVigodaLive wrote:
deezna10 wrote:No need for racial comments just because he said some moronic things.

The boorish assholes harassing him have actually helped to deflect attention from his boorish, attention-seeking behavior and made him into a bit of a victim.
The people calling him racial slurs or whatever need to grow up too. He was fired up when he was interviewed. It was stupid to reply how he did but it doesn't warrant stupidity from others.
AbeVigodaLive
Clean-Up Crew

Post by AbeVigodaLive »

deezna10 wrote:
AbeVigodaLive wrote:

The people calling him racial slurs or whatever need to grow up too. He was fired up when he was interviewed. It was stupid to reply how he did but it doesn't warrant stupidity from others.

The boorish assholes harassing him are much worse than anything Sherman did.

They're doing it just to be assholes, because they can. Sherman's "more contrived than most people realize" behavior is done to give him more money/popularity/notoriety. It has a purpose.
AtiliusRegulus
Mount Rushmore

Post by AtiliusRegulus »

he's a vulgar, violent, dreadlocked testosteroned beast.
Check the method from Bedrock, 'cause I rock your head to bed
lettherebehouse
Clean-Up Crew

Post by lettherebehouse »

I never use Facebook for social commentary, but some asshole I grew up with (black guy) wanted to challenge me after I posted the same thing I posted here Sunday night about Sherman being my favorite new player (obviously an exaggeration) with a picture of the Welcome To Compton sign photo attached, all in the spirit of joviality as everyone who knows me was aware. This was his exact post to me, and I quote,

As an African American his actions exemplify what white America uses to put us down. He is an educated person act like it. At least Crabtree responded with class when he coulda said a 5th round pick making less than 10 percent of what I make should shut up. But what can I expect from a dead skin fan

End quote.

Obviously I could have ripped this poor guy (he's 35 mind you) for his elementary use of grammar (or lack thereof) as he ironically called out a Stanford grad for his immaturity and ignorance. But it was MLK day, and I took the high road with him with this response.

Jon, I'm not trying to desensitize the issue you have with Sherman, nor the vantage point you choose to view this issue from. But when you lend credence to those shallow enough to not look at things/people beyond its face value out of fear of perpetuating perceived stereotypes, then you've given credibility to voices that should never be heard to begin with. In other words, be above the ignorance. Who cares what ignorant racists have to say, they don't have my ear #DrKing

Its small minded drones like this who lack perception, who are numb to the pulse of what really plagues minorities in America. White America isn't caught up with sideline interviews in a game, it's just a game. If you want to take issue with how you're perceived, aim your venom toward the right people, not the star athlete with a college degree and a clean criminal record who pays his taxes and raises money and awareness about the lack of goals inner city kids have for higher education.

Mothafawka!
AbeVigodaLive
Clean-Up Crew

Post by AbeVigodaLive »

lettherebehouse wrote:I never use Facebook for social commentary, but some asshole I grew up with (black guy) wanted to challenge me after I posted the same thing I posted here Sunday night about Sherman being my favorite new player (obviously an exaggeration) with a picture of the Welcome To Compton sign photo attached, all in the spirit of joviality as everyone who knows me was aware. This was his exact post to me, and I quote,

As an African American his actions exemplify what white America uses to put us down. He is an educated person act like it. At least Crabtree responded with class when he coulda said a 5th round pick making less than 10 percent of what I make should shut up. But what can I expect from a dead skin fan

End quote.

Obviously I could have ripped this poor guy (he's 35 mind you) for his elementary use of grammar (or lack thereof) as he ironically called out a Stanford grad for his immaturity and ignorance. But it was MLK day, and I took the high road with him with this response.

Jon, I'm not trying to desensitize the issue you have with Sherman, nor the vantage point you choose to view this issue from. But when you lend credence to those shallow enough to not look at things/people beyond its face value out of fear of perpetuating perceived stereotypes, then you've given credibility to voices that should never be heard to begin with. In other words, be above the ignorance. Who cares what ignorant racists have to say, they don't have my ear #DrKing

Its small minded drones like this who lack perception, who are numb to the pulse of what really plagues minorities in America. White America isn't caught up with sideline interviews in a game, it's just a game. If you want to take issue with how you're perceived, aim your venom toward the right people, not the star athlete with a college degree and a clean criminal record who pays his taxes and raises money and awareness about the lack of goals inner city kids have for higher education.

Mothafawka!

Some believe it's in bad form to end sentences with prepositions, House.
lettherebehouse
Clean-Up Crew

AbeVigodaLive wrote:
lettherebehouse wrote:I never use Facebook for social commentary, but some asshole I grew up with (black guy) wanted to challenge me after I posted the same thing I posted here Sunday night about Sherman being my favorite new player (obviously an exaggeration) with a picture of the Welcome To Compton sign photo attached, all in the spirit of joviality as everyone who knows me was aware. This was his exact post to me, and I quote,

End quote.

Mothafawka!

Maybe. But, I'm a poor writer, and not the one on the offensive attacking another person's ignorance with ignorance of my own. Feel me playa?
AbeVigodaLive
Clean-Up Crew

Post by AbeVigodaLive »

lettherebehouse wrote:
AbeVigodaLive wrote:

End quote.

Mothafawka!

Maybe. But, I'm a poor writer, and not the one on the offensive attacking another person's ignorance with ignorance of my own. Feel me playa?

Well, you kinda ripped him for being ignorant while he was ripping another guy for being ignorant.

And yes... I am now open for criticism. Damn it! When will this cycle ever end!?!?!
lettherebehouse
Clean-Up Crew

AbeVigodaLive wrote:
lettherebehouse wrote:
AbeVigodaLive wrote:

Well, you kinda ripped him for being ignorant while he was ripping another guy for being ignorant.

And yes... I am now open for criticism. Damn it! When will this cycle ever end!?!?!
Defensive attacks are given more leniency for hypocritical errors than offensive attacks. This is common knowledge.