Should Jordan relace Jerry West as NBA Logo?

Talk about anything here.
Buckets
Repeat Fantasy BBall Champ

Should Jordan relace Jerry West as NBA Logo?

Post by Buckets »

SAS brought up that Jordan is as iconic of a basketball player as there is and that it should be him on the NBA logo and not Jerry West.

I agree that Jordan should be an icon somewhere in the NBA for how much he did for the sport globally but disagree he should be the new NBA logo....Maybe put an icon of him on the ball?

Thoughts?

UPDATE:

Per Jordanzone's post on page 3, the NBA could go with a simple update for the silhouette of Jordan

Last edited by Buckets on Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
AbeVigodaLive
Clean-Up Crew

Re: Should Jordan relace Jerry West as NBA Logo?

Post by AbeVigodaLive »

The NBA logo isn't iconic enough?

Jordan doesn't receive enough adoration?

Keep it as is.

kobeunderbite
Proud supporter of President Trump.

Post by kobeunderbite »

Michael Jordan is severely under-celebrated, and his presence not felt in today's NBA, so obviously this should be done.
LookAway
All-Time Great

Post by LookAway »

That Jordan logo on the ball would cost the NBA too much. Jerry West logo isn't on anything aside NBA stuff. Jordan has Jumpman and Nike and all these other groups using/paying for his likeness. Aside from that, you don't replace Jerry West even for MJ
Buckets

Post by Buckets »

LookAway wrote:That Jordan logo on the ball would cost the NBA too much. Jerry West logo isn't on anything aside NBA stuff. Jordan has Jumpman and Nike and all these other groups using/paying for his likeness. Aside from that, you don't replace Jerry West even for MJ
I agree using the Jumpman logo would cost too much in licensing but I'm sure MJ would allow using his "likeness" with a different image if it meant he would be immortalized on the NBA ball. Maybe something like this below?

Buckets

Post by Buckets »

AbeVigodaLive wrote:The NBA logo isn't iconic enough?

Keep it as is.
I agree the logo should remain untouched but possibly adding something to the ball would be kinda cool...Just a thought, not like I think it will ever happen but just bringing it up for discussion sake
AbeVigodaLive
Clean-Up Crew

Post by AbeVigodaLive »

Buckets wrote:

Keep it as is.
I agree the logo should remain untouched but possibly adding something to the ball would be kinda cool...Just a thought, not like I think it will ever happen but just bringing it up for discussion sake

I think it will happen at some point. Look at the West logo closely. The hair. Shorts.

Does it resemble a modern NBA player in any way? Eventually, somebody will notice and make it part of their agenda...
zombiesonics
Mount Rushmore

Post by zombiesonics »

It should be Bill Russell, the dude with 11 rings.
Laughing Man
All-Star

Post by Laughing Man »

Keep as is or else every ten years it will have to be changed due to something or another.
You know what the worst thing about the end of the day is? Tomorrow, it starts all over again.
CleveTown™
Three-Time Fantasy Champion King

Post by CleveTown™ »

keep the 3-4th best player OFF the label/logo. Jordan isa bitter little chump nowadays and if bron played in his era would've been taken to task.
Thats the stupidest logo Ive ever seen, looks like a shoe. It looks too hip hoppish/too nike modernized for me. no thanks.
October 16th, 2020. Thank you Pastor John (P)
January 7th. (D)
CleveTown™
Three-Time Fantasy Champion King

Post by CleveTown™ »

Buckets wrote:
LookAway wrote:That Jordan logo on the ball would cost the NBA too much. Jerry West logo isn't on anything aside NBA stuff. Jordan has Jumpman and Nike and all these other groups using/paying for his likeness. Aside from that, you don't replace Jerry West even for MJ
I agree using the Jumpman logo would cost too much in licensing but I'm sure MJ would allow using his "likeness" with a different image if it meant he would be immortalized on the NBA ball. Maybe something like this below?

What is that, MJ in the midst of flopping? Getting shot?
October 16th, 2020. Thank you Pastor John (P)
January 7th. (D)
elmouse03
Mount Rushmore

Post by elmouse03 »

Kwame should be on the new nba logo
LookAway
All-Time Great

Post by LookAway »

Buckets wrote:

I like the new logo idea but you can bet Jordan would want to get paid largely. He is a business man first. :mj:
LookAway
All-Time Great

Post by LookAway »

AbeVigodaLive wrote:
Buckets wrote:

Keep it as is.

I think it will happen at some point. Look at the West logo closely. The hair. Shorts.

Does it resemble a modern NBA player in any way? Eventually, somebody will notice and make it part of their agenda...
The Logo is steeped in tradition. Who cares what the fashion was 50 years ago. There is a reason why we get nostalgic over the things we do. Modern is not nostalgic. If there is anything we learned is don't change things that are successful. (I miss the old NBA on NBC theme song, can you tell?)
Shill Jackson
Mount Rushmore

Post by Shill Jackson »

the reason many want it changed is because West is a white.
You can't use jumpman without it costing the $ of a franchise - aint going to happen.
"Educated people make the world a better place, they mercilessly attack misery and cruelty, and eventually they win."
--Henry Rollins

**zombiesonics is a feckless cunt!**
AbeVigodaLive
Clean-Up Crew

Post by AbeVigodaLive »

LookAway wrote:
AbeVigodaLive wrote:
Buckets wrote:

The Logo is steeped in tradition. Who cares what the fashion was 50 years ago. There is a reason why we get nostalgic over the things we do. Modern is not nostalgic. If there is anything we learned is don't change things that are successful. (I miss the old NBA on NBC theme song, can you tell?)

1. I don't really get the fascination with the NBC stuff on this board... other than it's what many grew up with so that has a lot to do with their affinity for it.

2. I tend to agree with you on the West logo. I like it. I think it's nostalgic iconic.

3. I wouldn't be the one leading the charge to change it. I don't want to... nor do I have the clout. But somebody does... and I bet they add it to their agenda eventually.
Carpediem77
Superstar

Post by Carpediem77 »

How did West even get to be the logo...these are guys who shoulda been before West - Mikan or Russell.
vcsgrizzfan
Mount Rushmore

Post by vcsgrizzfan »

Leave well enough alone. There are a lot of things to worry about before that.
AbeVigodaLive
Clean-Up Crew

Post by AbeVigodaLive »

Carpediem77 wrote:How did West even get to be the logo...these are guys who shoulda been before West - Mikan or Russell.

It was more about the aesthetics of the logo more than honoring any specific player.

Mikan was a goofy-looking lanky dude with an ugly shot. Imagine that silhouette.
vcsgrizzfan
Mount Rushmore

Post by vcsgrizzfan »

AbeVigodaLive wrote:
Carpediem77 wrote:How did West even get to be the logo...these are guys who shoulda been before West - Mikan or Russell.

It was more about the aesthetics of the logo more than honoring any specific player.

Mikan was a goofy-looking lanky dude with an ugly shot. Imagine that silhouette.
Also, he wore glasses. I don't think that would be too great.