Sports talk between bartender and older patron last night.

Talk about anything here.
Havlicekstealsit
G.O.A.T.

Sports talk between bartender and older patron last night.

Post by Havlicekstealsit »

Nets game on tv.

Older fellow, probably a few drinks in: Now I know PHI stands for Philadelphia, but I don't know what BKN is. Brooklyn?
Bartender, probably in his 20s: Yeah...uhhh...I'm not really sure. I think the Nets are coming from New Jersey.
Older fellow: Oh New Jersey is moving to Brooklyn?
Bartender: Uhhh...I think so. They have to build a new stadium first.
OF: So New Jersey is moving to Brookyln? Where's Brooklyn again?
B: Uhhh...maybe like near Manhattan? Some rich Russian guy and...uh...damn, what's that rappers name...bought the team and moved them.

Soon the talk delved into the NCAA tournament, where both were convinced it is a 128 team tournament. Couldn't take it anymore, so I paid my tab and left.

Every grown man should have SOME knowledge of sports, no?
Buckets
Repeat Fantasy BBall Champ

Re: Sports talk between bartender and older patron last nigh

Post by Buckets »

I usually run into this more often than not when I'm out with the GF, her friends, and their boyfriends/guy friends. In an effort to make small talk I'll throw something out there that's being commonly discussed about in the current sports world. If they don't know about it then I tend to avoid sports talk almost in entirety. It sucks and the conversation then switches to weather.

However you'd be amazed how many guys actually don't follow sports. They're in the minority but its more than you think.
AbeVigodaLive
Clean-Up Crew

Post by AbeVigodaLive »

I don't mind if people don't know about sports.

UNLESS they pretend that they do. Now, if those guys were the loudmouthed types of guys who railed on and on about something they obviously knew nothing about... big difference.
Kingcarl24
G.O.A.T.

Post by Kingcarl24 »

I work with a bunch of old men who watch nearly every BYU basketball game but have very little understanding of what's actually going on. I just keep quiet. I was in a meeting with a bunch of VPs and Directors and they were all talking about the Gonzaga game the other night. I mentioned how frustrating it was that our coach didn't make the defensive adjustments necessary to stop the 3 ball that was just killing us. They all looked at me with a kind of glossed over look and then continued to talk about how many points Tyler Haws scored. I don't speak up anymore because it's obvious we're on different levels when it comes to understanding of the game.
AbeVigodaLive
Clean-Up Crew

Post by AbeVigodaLive »

Kingcarl24 wrote:I work with a bunch of old men who watch nearly every BYU basketball game but have very little understanding of what's actually going on. I just keep quiet. I was in a meeting with a bunch of VPs and Directors and they were all talking about the Gonzaga game the other night. I mentioned how frustrating it was that our coach didn't make the defensive adjustments necessary to stop the 3 ball that was just killing us. They all looked at me with a kind of glossed over look and then continued to talk about how many points Tyler Haws scored. I don't speak up anymore because it's obvious we're on different levels when it comes to understanding of the game.

Mr. Bossman #1 knows about basketball. He just gets a little Fusuy-ish with the stats he uses.
Kingcarl24
G.O.A.T.

Post by Kingcarl24 »

AbeVigodaLive wrote:
Kingcarl24 wrote:I work with a bunch of old men who watch nearly every BYU basketball game but have very little understanding of what's actually going on. I just keep quiet. I was in a meeting with a bunch of VPs and Directors and they were all talking about the Gonzaga game the other night. I mentioned how frustrating it was that our coach didn't make the defensive adjustments necessary to stop the 3 ball that was just killing us. They all looked at me with a kind of glossed over look and then continued to talk about how many points Tyler Haws scored. I don't speak up anymore because it's obvious we're on different levels when it comes to understanding of the game.

Mr. Bossman #1 knows about basketball. He just gets a little Fusuy-ish with the stats he uses.
Don't argue with Mr. Bossman #1. He knows basketball because he's the boss.

I wonder what it would be like to so used to be the top knowledge guy in all areas of work but then have to recognize that one of your peons may know more about something unrelated? Does that make sense?
wailuaFC
All-Time Great

Post by wailuaFC »

No matter how much shit we give eachother on this board, Id say pretty much all of our posters basketball knowledge and understanding is far greater then the common mans
AbeVigodaLive
Clean-Up Crew

Post by AbeVigodaLive »

Kingcarl24 wrote:
AbeVigodaLive wrote:

Don't argue with Mr. Bossman #1. He knows basketball because he's the boss.

I wonder what it would be like to so used to be the top knowledge guy in all areas of work but then have to recognize that one of your peons may know more about something unrelated? Does that make sense?

Mr. Bossman #1 is pretty cool. Granted, he does write me a paycheck, but it's not the typical office setting. We're sorta peers.

But yeah... I don't argue with him. He gives me free tickets to games he doesn't want.
lettherebehouse
Clean-Up Crew

Post by lettherebehouse »

AbeVigodaLive wrote:I don't mind if people don't know about sports.

UNLESS they pretend that they do. Now, if those guys were the loudmouthed types of guys who railed on and on about something they obviously knew nothing about... big difference.
I have a family member who falls into this category. I'd love to put you in a room with him throughout an entire 4 quarters of basketball or football one day, just so you can get a glimpse of what I have to endure a handful of times throughout the year. Labeling him a "loudmouth", would be a gross understatement when describing this guy. Mentally and vocally exhausting, and a surefire way to eliminate any remnants of a buzz if one was ever present. One of those guys who believes, the louder they speak, the more correct their opinion is over yours. Brutal.
ripper76
Accounts will be settled.

Post by ripper76 »

I've had to pay more attention to college basketball lately because my girlfriend's 82 year old grandmother either watches or listens to every Dayton Flyers basketball game. She knows I like basketball too so she always wants to talk about specific plays and moments in the games. She'll say stuff like "Oh they came out so flat in the 2nd half. I couldn't believe they ended up with 12 turnovers after having only 1 in the first half!" I usually don't pay much attention to college ball or the Flyers, but I can't have her embarrass me further.
AlaskaHawks
Mount Rushmore

Post by AlaskaHawks »

ripper76 wrote:I've had to pay more attention to college basketball lately because my girlfriend's 82 year old grandmother either watches or listens to every Dayton Flyers basketball game. She knows I like basketball too so she always wants to talk about specific plays and moments in the games. She'll say stuff like "Oh they came out so flat in the 2nd half. I couldn't believe they ended up with 12 turnovers after having only 1 in the first half!" I usually don't pay much attention to college ball or the Flyers, but I can't have her embarrass me further.

Shamed by grandma. Ouch.
"The idea is not to block every shot. The idea is to make your opponent believe you might block every shot."
Bill Russell

"I'm just 'bout that action, boss"
L.O.B. = Love our Brothers.