Do you feel sorry for Peyton Manning..

Talk about anything here.
vcsgrizzfan
Mount Rushmore

Do you feel sorry for Peyton Manning..

Post by vcsgrizzfan »

Never mind that he has a bajillion dollars etc.... but do you feel sorry for him for how he has shit the bed in the playoffs a few too many times.
FPL
Hall of Famer

Re: Do you feel sorry for Peyton Manning..

Post by FPL »

vcsgrizzfan wrote:Never mind that he has a bajillion dollars etc.... but do you feel sorry for him for how he has shit the bed in the playoffs a few too many times.
After tonight, where does he rank among the all-time great QBs?

OT - When did the modern era begin for you in each major sport? 54-55 is probably near unanimous for NBA, but NFL and MLB are tougher (I'm sure NHL is as well, but I don't watch that much hockey). For baseball, there's this article:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/story?id=2471349" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

suggesting 1969. NFL I've heard 1950 (unlimited substitution introduced). No clue about hockey.
vcsgrizzfan
Mount Rushmore

Post by vcsgrizzfan »

fpliii wrote:
vcsgrizzfan wrote:Never mind that he has a bajillion dollars etc.... but do you feel sorry for him for how he has shit the bed in the playoffs a few too many times.

OT - When did the modern era begin for you in each major sport? 54-55 is probably near unanimous for NBA, but NFL and MLB are tougher (I'm sure NHL is as well, but I don't watch that much hockey). For baseball, there's this article:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/story?id=2471349" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

suggesting 1969. NFL I've heard 1950 (unlimited substitution introduced). No clue about hockey.
Thanks for the questions, but I really don't have an intelligent answer for the second question. Probably late 50s or so for hockey, just prior to the great Canadiens dynasties.

As far as Peyton goes, he's still a top 5 all time QB or so, with apologies to fans of Otto Graham etc that I don't know. I just think that he could easily be consensus number 1 if he had performed as well in the post season as he has in the regular season. It's an impossible question with too many defensible answers, but to me, I still rank Joe Montana number 1. I can't really explain why I feel that way, but I've never felt a sense of confidence in a QB when I was watching a game as much as I did when Joe was playing. He didn't always win, but it almost seemed a surprise when he didn't find a way to win.
somberbostonian
All-Time Great

Post by somberbostonian »

He's a Top 5 QB all-time and nothing's going to change that. Although missing an opportunity to be the first QB ever to win SBs with two different teams is not something you forget easily.
PoLIEtics is for gay fags.
somberbostonian
All-Time Great

Post by somberbostonian »

fpliii wrote:

I like to view the post merger years as the modern NFL era, but that's just me.
PoLIEtics is for gay fags.
CleveTown™
Three-Time Fantasy Champion King

Post by CleveTown™ »

Yes. His center set the tone for the whole game with the botched snap.
October 16th, 2020. Thank you Pastor John (P)
January 7th. (D)
dwcmwa
All-Time Great

Post by dwcmwa »

Last edited by dwcmwa on Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:17 am, edited 6 times in total.

FPL
Hall of Famer

Post by FPL »

Other than Montana and Brady, who is definitely ahead of Manning as of today? Who else has a case?
Max
Coach

Post by Max »

vcsgrizzfan wrote:
fpliii wrote:

Thanks for the questions, but I really don't have an intelligent answer for the second question. Probably late 50s or so for hockey, just prior to the great Canadiens dynasties.

As far as Peyton goes, he's still a top 5 all time QB or so, with apologies to fans of Otto Graham etc that I don't know. I just think that he could easily be consensus number 1 if he had performed as well in the post season as he has in the regular season. It's an impossible question with too many defensible answers, but to me, I still rank Joe Montana number 1. I can't really explain why I feel that way, but I've never felt a sense of confidence in a QB when I was watching a game as much as I did when Joe was playing. He didn't always win, but it almost seemed a surprise when he didn't find a way to win.
You feel that way because Joe is the GOAT.
dwcmwa
All-Time Great

Post by dwcmwa »

fpliii wrote:Other than Montana and Brady, who is definitely ahead of Manning as of today? Who else has a case?
Elway
Jim McMahon
Otto Graham
Favre
Steve Young
Terry Bradshaw
Marino
Namath

Repeat3peat
Repeat Fantasy BBall Champ

Post by Repeat3peat »

dwcmwa wrote:
fpliii wrote:Other than Montana and Brady, who is definitely ahead of Manning as of today? Who else has a case?
Elway
Jim McMahon
Otto Graham
Favre
Steve Young
Terry Bradshaw
Marino
Namath

lol
LookAway
All-Time Great

Post by LookAway »

No, I hate the entire Manning family. From Archie down to the cat
CleveTown™
Three-Time Fantasy Champion King

Post by CleveTown™ »

dwcmwa wrote:Image
Why is Gjjs's head on my daughters body?
October 16th, 2020. Thank you Pastor John (P)
January 7th. (D)
ripper76
Accounts will be settled.

Post by ripper76 »

CleveTown™ wrote:
Why is Gjjs's head on my daughters body?
That's what happens when you share your pics here.
elmerjfudd
The Lurker

Post by elmerjfudd »

No I realize its a team sport.

He lost to a better team, similar to when Elway lost all those super bowls before getting a dominant running game and Kelly losing 3/4 Super Bowls.

He's still the GOAT.
Y2K
One Mizzou. Then. Now. Always.

Post by Y2K »

nope. Not a fan of his but maybe now the Media will quit with this GOAT nonsense. Joe Montana is the greatest QB of all time. Point. Blank. Period.

I'm a baaaddd motherfucker!!
Y2K
One Mizzou. Then. Now. Always.

Post by Y2K »

Elway

I'm a baaaddd motherfucker!!
Ali Natural
Superstar

Post by Ali Natural »

y2ktors wrote:
Elway

No. Elway has only one more title, less MVPs, never threw for 30 tds in a season and had only one year over 4,000 yards. He was the poster child for SB failure until the bills 4peat of failure and didn't do anything in the 90 until Terrell Davis carried them.
Robceltsfan
Pick 'Em League Champion

Post by Robceltsfan »

dwcmwa wrote:
Elway
Jim McMahon
Otto Graham
Favre
Steve Young
Terry Bradshaw
Marino
Namath

Do you watch football?
Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are dumber than that.

~George Carlin~
denali4eva
Queen Bee

Post by denali4eva »

:shock: