LOL did they really find this impressive in the 90's?

Talk about anything here.
CleveTown™
Superstar

Re: LOL did they really find this impressive in the 90's?

Post by CleveTown™ »

:pjaxlol:
My RAPTURE LETTER to Angergeneral: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=129641&p=1841888
zombiesonics
Mount Rushmore

Post by zombiesonics »

:jayz:
Bush4Ever.
All-Time Great

Post by Bush4Ever. »

I remember the first dunk contest I saw live had Dee Brown winning by tucking his eyes into this arm/elbow to be "blindfolded" at the point of dunk.

Magic Johnson laughed his head off like it was the most devilish, clever thing he had ever seen (he does have a great laugh though no homo).
Bush4Ever.
All-Time Great

Post by Bush4Ever. »

ElJorge
All-Star

Post by ElJorge »

LeBronMonsterDunk
Clean-Up Crew

Post by LeBronMonsterDunk »

ElJorge wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2024 10:48 am
Holy fuck, listen to how CRAZY everyone went over that mundane shit. People were so easily impressed in the 90s.

:haha2:
You never liked me, probably don't like me still, but a ***** liking me aint never paid my bills
Havlicekstealsit
G.O.A.T.

Post by Havlicekstealsit »

Bush4Ever.
All-Time Great

Post by Bush4Ever. »

To give a little bit of credit to the OG's, this dunk is one of the most aesthetically beautiful dunks I've seen:

zombiesonics
Mount Rushmore

Post by zombiesonics »

thedangerouskitchen
G.O.A.T.

Post by thedangerouskitchen »

Players actually DRIBBLED the ball up the court AND had only one (1) chance to make the dunk in the 90's... as opposed to getting 3 chances (lolol) and NOT dribbling up court today.

2024 = weak/pussy-ass Era confirmed.

:kobefacepalm:

:mjlaugh:
"Today's NBA is soft, the Defense is weak, and the rules 'really' favor the Offense."

"Lebron doesn’t guard for a full game and our game plan was to get him to play defense and he left me open all game."
LeBronMonsterDunk
Clean-Up Crew

thedangerouskitchen wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2024 2:26 pm Players actually DRIBBLED the ball up the court AND had only one (1) chance to make the dunk in the 90's... as opposed to getting 3 chances (lolol) and NOT dribbling up court today.

Was dribbling before the dunk in the dunk contest considered a high skill ability in the 90s?

You never liked me, probably don't like me still, but a ***** liking me aint never paid my bills
Bush4Ever.
All-Time Great

Post by Bush4Ever. »

Jordan and Nique were good (Jordan) and great (Nique) in-game dunkers, but neither of them have matched even the B-tier dunks of Gordon/Levine or even Jordan Kilganon in *any* setting, any format (game, contest, open court/empty gym, etc...).

Anthony Edwards puts them both to shame in-game, obviously
thedangerouskitchen
G.O.A.T.

LeBronMonsterDunk wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2024 2:44 pm
thedangerouskitchen wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2024 2:26 pm Players actually DRIBBLED the ball up the court AND had only one (1) chance to make the dunk in the 90's... as opposed to getting 3 chances (lolol) and NOT dribbling up court today.

Was dribbling before the dunk in the dunk contest considered a high skill ability in the 90s?

It takes more skill to dribble the ball up court and then execute your dunk (on the first try) than it does to run freely up the court and grab the ball out of someone's hand, or elevate and have someone else toss you the ball via alley-hoop style.... and THEN get Not 1, Not 2, but three (3) chances to get it right.

:lol: :roll: :L

Original, completely independent of others, and do-or-die-1-try-or-bust (90's Dunk Contest) >>>>>>>> unoriginal, dependent on someone else with NUMEROUS chances to get it right (today's NBA Dunk Contest).

Walk it off...
"Today's NBA is soft, the Defense is weak, and the rules 'really' favor the Offense."

"Lebron doesn’t guard for a full game and our game plan was to get him to play defense and he left me open all game."
thedangerouskitchen
G.O.A.T.

Bush4Ever. wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2024 2:46 pm Jordan and Nique were good (Jordan) and great (Nique) in-game dunkers, but neither of them have matched even the B-tier dunks of Gordon/Levine or even Jordan Kilganon in *any* setting, any format (game, contest, open court/empty gym, etc...).

Anthony Edwards puts them both to shame in-game, obviously
You KNOW your Era of basketball is inferior when you use Dunks to measure greatness... :lol: :roll: :L

:asskicking:

Bush4Ever.
All-Time Great

Post by Bush4Ever. »

I don't.

It's just one of a laundry list of things, and a perfect litmus test to see what boomers can be immediately ignored on basketball matters.

Anyone who says the old school matches the new on dunks (in-game or contest) can be immediately dismissed on all other matters, because it's an indication the person is either retarded (low IQ) or compromised (emotional investment, glory days syndrome, anger at Black players actually having empowerment, etc...).
thedangerouskitchen
G.O.A.T.

Bush4Ever. wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2024 4:20 pm I don't.
You just did, Sherlock.

:verdum:

Bush4Ever.
All-Time Great

Post by Bush4Ever. »

thedangerouskitchen wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2024 4:22 pm

You just did, Sherlock.
Yes, I used dunks to measure greatness of dunks. What else would you use?

I can tell you are intoxicated. It's still early, but it's Friday, so whatever...enjoy the brews bro

:suds:
LeBronMonsterDunk
Clean-Up Crew

thedangerouskitchen wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2024 4:06 pm
LeBronMonsterDunk wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2024 2:44 pm

It takes more skill to dribble the ball up court and then execute your dunk (on the first try) than it does to run freely up the court and grab the ball out of someone's hand, or elevate and have someone else toss you the ball via alley-hoop style.... and THEN get Not 1, Not 2, but three (3) chances to get it right.

:lol: :roll: :L

Original, completely independent of others, and do-or-die-1-try-or-bust (90's Dunk Contest) >>>>>>>> unoriginal, dependent on someone else with NUMEROUS chances to get it right (today's NBA Dunk Contest).

Walk it off...
It's wild how you typed all that gibberish, and yet the 90s dunk videos posted ITT immediately prove you're lying as several of them didn't dribble, took multiple dunk attempts, and were still completely mediocre and unimpressive (by modern standards) in every way.

Must be the alcohol typing.
Bush4Ever.
All-Time Great

Post by Bush4Ever. »

Dunks aren't generally a reflection of basketball ability in an environment like the NBA where even the 20th percentile is extremely athletic, but the best of contest dunks before Vince Carter would barely get a second glance at any major city playground that had a steady flow of African-American participants.