Michael Jordan shooting splits over his last 15 NBA Finals games

Talk about anything here.
thedangerouskitchen
G.O.A.T.

Re: Michael Jordan shooting splits over his last 15 NBA Finals games

Post by thedangerouskitchen »

Bush4Ever. wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 2:05 pm
thedangerouskitchen wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 2:03 pm
Jordan didn't "shoot that well" because his TS% on the Bulls was = league average in 2024.

YOU said that bush-league. Thus, YOU implied that TS% measure good or bad "shooting".

Now, after TDK exposed your idiocy, you want to clarify your drivel in an effort to try and save face.

Not gonna work.

TS% is a worthless stat IF you're going to use it in the manner that YOU did regarding Jordan.

Round 5 to TDK in dramatice beat-down fashion!

:slapping:
Yes, shoot as in "shooting percentage", hence the references to shooting percentage and not empty gym shooting or three-point competitions, etc...
Spoiler:
Drunk
Ahhhh, shooting percentage.

Jordan: .497%
2024: .474%

"Jordan didn't shoot very well relative to today"
Signed,
Bush-league

:lol: :lol: :lol:

You're tripping all over yourself now, bub.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
"Today's NBA is soft, the Defense is weak, and the rules 'really' favor the Offense."

"Lebron doesn’t guard for a full game and our game plan was to get him to play defense and he left me open all game."
Bush4Ever.
All-Time Great

Post by Bush4Ever. »

And now I got TDK spinning in a circle pretending I was talking about raw, dumb FG percentage.

I think that's a wrap, especially since my conference call just ended.

Thanks for being a funny distraction from a boring meeting, TDK.
manchild98
Hidden Member

Post by manchild98 »

I get all my NBA data from nostalgia.com.
_Vcsgrizzfan_
Role Player

Post by _Vcsgrizzfan_ »

thedangerouskitchen wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 2:24 pm
_Vcsgrizzfan_ wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 2:05 pm
thedangerouskitchen wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 2:03 pm

Jordan didn't "shoot that well" because his TS% on the Bulls was = league average in 2024.

YOU said that bush-league. Thus, YOU implied that TS% measure good or bad "shooting".

Now, after TDK exposed your idiocy, you want to clarify your drivel in an effort to try and save face.

Not gonna work.

TS% is a worthless stat IF you're going to use it in the manner that YOU did regarding Jordan.

Round 5 to TDK in dramatice beat-down fashion!

:slapping:
Dude, you've gotten smoked the entire day. You don't understand a stat so you belittle it in favor of a stat that is truly extremely limited. Bush exposes you. I expose you. You're just incapable of admitting you are full of shit.
I understand it perfectly meatball. What I'm doing is trolling/mocking you and bush (see my last post).

:asskicking:
Baloney TDK. Like Artie, when you get smoked and backed into a corner, you occasionally pull out the "I'm just trolling" card. The problem is, we all know its bullshit. You take MJ and his place in history way too freaking seriously and are always the one being trolled, not the other way around, as a result.
_Vcsgrizzfan_
Role Player

Post by _Vcsgrizzfan_ »

manchild98 wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 2:36 pm I get all my NBA data from nostalgia.com.
manchild with yet another kill shot. Most underappreciated funny guy here.
thedangerouskitchen
G.O.A.T.

Bush4Ever. wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 2:34 pm And now I got TDK spinning in a circle pretending I was talking about raw, dumb FG percentage.

I think that's a wrap, especially since my conference call just ended.

Thanks for being a funny distraction from a boring meeting, TDK.
You clearly don't know what you're talking about bush.

First you claimed Jordan wasn't a good "shooter" BECAUSE OF his TS%, and after TDK exposed your foolishness (by bringing up LeFraud's TS% vs. Bird / Klay) THEN you decided to add context to your TS% argument... and when that still didn't work you brought up "shooting percentages" to try and weasel your way out of the embarrassment you suffered for suggesting MJ wasn't a good shooter.

In short: You painted yourself in a corner, and you got eviscerated.

Run along now...
"Today's NBA is soft, the Defense is weak, and the rules 'really' favor the Offense."

"Lebron doesn’t guard for a full game and our game plan was to get him to play defense and he left me open all game."
thedangerouskitchen
G.O.A.T.

_Vcsgrizzfan_ wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 2:42 pm
_Vcsgrizzfan_ wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 2:05 pm

Dude, you've gotten smoked the entire day. You don't understand a stat so you belittle it in favor of a stat that is truly extremely limited. Bush exposes you. I expose you. You're just incapable of admitting you are full of shit.
I understand it perfectly meatball. What I'm doing is trolling/mocking you and bush (see my last post).

Baloney TDK. Like Artie, when you get smoked and backed into a corner, you occasionally pull out the "I'm just trolling" card. The problem is, we all know its bullshit. You take MJ and his place in history way too freaking seriously and are always the one being trolled, not the other way around, as a result.
It's nice to see you fighting bush's battles meatball, but he's the one who painted himself in a corner and you're too stupid to see it.

Fact.

_Vcsgrizzfan_
Role Player

Post by _Vcsgrizzfan_ »

thedangerouskitchen wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 2:49 pm

It's nice to see you fighting bush's battles meatball, but he's the one who painted himself in a corner and you're too stupid to see it.

Fact.
No dude. You're just grasping at straws instead of being mature enough to admit you're full of shit on the shooting % versus total shooting % argument. You're a caricature TDK, but you don't realize it.
Bush4Ever.
All-Time Great

Post by Bush4Ever. »

manchild98 wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 2:36 pm I get all my NBA data from nostalgia.com.
Which in turn uses iwishiwasyoungagain.com, glorydays.net, and lifefullofregret.org as reference materials.
thedangerouskitchen
G.O.A.T.

_Vcsgrizzfan_ wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 2:52 pm

Fact.
No dude. You're just grasping at straws instead of being mature enough to admit you're full of shit on the shooting % versus total shooting % argument. You're a caricature TDK, but you don't realize it.
That's not the argument, doofus.

Bush said point-blank, matter-of-fact withOut context or perspective that Jordan wasn't a good "shooter" based on TS%, and he got destroyed for his stupidity. You, being a Beta Cuck Follower and not an Alpha Leader, rode his coattails blindly, and ended up looking like just as big a fool.

This is fact.

_Vcsgrizzfan_
Role Player

Post by _Vcsgrizzfan_ »

thedangerouskitchen wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 3:25 pm

Fact.

Bush said point-blank, matter-of-fact withOut context or perspective that Jordan wasn't a good "shooter" based on TS%, and he got destroyed for his stupidity. You, being a Beta Cuck Follower and not an Alpha Leader, rode his coattails blindly, and ended up looking like just as big a fool.

This is fact.
No, it IS THE ARGUMENT. You trying to change the goal posts doesn't change the argument. You belittle TS% and call it useless, when it is a FAR BETTER stat than raw shooting percentage. Rather than admitting that, you pretend it was never the argument. You're a weasel, and a not very bright one at that.
_Vcsgrizzfan_
Role Player

Post by _Vcsgrizzfan_ »

Simple question for you TDK.

Is TS% a superior stat to raw shooting percentage. Please explain your answer. Thank you in advance. I'm sure I'll be reading a scholarly piece soon.
thedangerouskitchen
G.O.A.T.

_Vcsgrizzfan_ wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 3:33 pm

This is fact.
No, it IS THE ARGUMENT. You trying to change the goal posts doesn't change the argument. You belittle TS% and call it useless, when it is a FAR BETTER stat than raw shooting percentage. Rather than admitting that, you pretend it was never the argument. You're a weasel, and a not very bright one at that.
Noooo, it's not... and a quick glance at the first page ITT will confirm that fact. You, as you typically do, injected yourself into the discussion while it was already in full swing without realizing what was at the core BECAUSE you're so desperate to try and "get TDK", like all your Liberal Losers are trying to "get Trump" but only embarrassing themselves in the process.

Da Stars.
Tight wad. Penny pincher. Mr. Dollar Theater.

Post by Da Stars. »

What about points per shots attempted?
_Vcsgrizzfan_
Role Player

Post by _Vcsgrizzfan_ »

thedangerouskitchen wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 3:50 pm
_Vcsgrizzfan_ wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 3:33 pm

This is fact.
Noooo, it's not... and a quick glance at the first page ITT will confirm that fact. You, as you typically do, injected yourself into the discussion while it was already in full swing without realizing what was at the core BECAUSE you're so desperate to try and "get TDK", like all your Liberal Losers are trying to "get Trump" but only embarrassing themselves in the process.
Just another deflection TDK. You "get yourself" every freaking day TDK. We just expose it.
_Vcsgrizzfan_
Role Player

Post by _Vcsgrizzfan_ »

Da Stars. wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 3:52 pm What about points per shots attempted?
It isn't bad. It is better than simple shooting percentage because it rewards 3 point shooting and good FT shooting.

A small problem with it is that for guys who are very good at drawing 2 shot fouls, they get a disproportionate amount of points (assuming they are good FT shooters) without being charged with shot attempts, so it skews the numbers more than TS% does.
Bush4Ever.
All-Time Great

Post by Bush4Ever. »

Da Stars. wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 3:52 pm What about points per shots attempted?
The ideal would be to scale down to a concept like points-per-possession does on the team front, since free throws suck up possessions and score points, but don't register as a shot attempt.

The average NBA player will score about 75 points for every 50 two-shot foul situations.

1.5 points per scoring effort is tremendous, which is why drawing fouls and making free throws is also a premium for offensive efficiency (James Harden is a great example of this, with his 2pt and 3pt+ being basically average but drawing and making free throws at an insane rate for most of his career).

Scaling down the team concept of "per possession" to the individual level is a little tricky (TS% and TS%+ are going to be strongly correlated with that idea), but that's the basic idea.

"How many points did you score relative to the number of chances to score, while considering volume, role/burden, etc...?
Bush4Ever.
All-Time Great

Post by Bush4Ever. »

The baseball analog to this is comparing raw batting average between singles hitters and power hitters, with respect to OPS and OPS+.

A singles hitter might hit .340, but generate less value value in terms of creating (all else being equal) runs than a power hit who hits .300 with big power numbers.

In 1980, George Brett had to hit .390 (!!) to even approach (203 vs 210) the OPS+ of Aaron Judge in 2022, who only hit .311 by average.