Best player to never make an all star game?

Talk about anything here.
wailuaFC
All-Time Great

Best player to never make an all star game?

Post by wailuaFC »

I say Jamal Murray. Dude is an absolute killer, not just recency bias because he’s been doing it for years, there’s just so many great guards in the west right now. After that, Cedric Maxwell? His ceiling was no where close to Murray though. Crazy how deep the league is nowadays that a legit #2 on a title team/best in the west player can’t even make an all star game
Bush4Ever.
All-Time Great

Re: Best player to never make an all star game?

Post by Bush4Ever. »

When I was growing up as a baller, Rod Strickland was the answer I heard the most for that.

Crazy good handles who could finish fairly well (for his size/era), but with zero outside shooting.

From 1994 through 1999:

17.7/9.4/4.7/1.7/TS roughly average to league/PER of 20
wailuaFC
All-Time Great

Post by wailuaFC »

Bush4Ever. wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 1:13 am When I was growing up as a baller, Rod Strickland was the answer I heard the most for that.

Crazy good handles who could finish fairly well (for his size/era), but with zero outside shooting.

From 1994 through 1999:

17.7/9.4/4.7/1.7/TS roughly average to league/PER of 20
Rod would be high on my list of best that never made an all star game. I just have a bias because he never really accomplished anything, he was a player I liked to watch, similar to Eddie Johnson in the fun but doesn’t move the needle mix
elmerjfudd
The Lurker

Post by elmerjfudd »

I was always always big on Andre Miller in college and in the pros. Actually hade Utah winning the title in I believe him and Doleac’s last season. Seemed to always take a good shot and could run an offense well. Always efficient and usually was tops in assists.

Todays version is Conley, first time I watched him was on ESPN when him and Oden were playing in high school and was more in awe of his game
thedangerouskitchen
G.O.A.T.

Post by thedangerouskitchen »

Rod Strickland went to my alma mater, DePaul University. It's too bad he left shortly after TDK arrived or I would have showed him a few things on the court and maybe he would have been an All-Star.

:pimp:
"Today's NBA is soft, the Defense is weak, and the rules 'really' favor the Offense."

"Lebron doesn’t guard for a full game and our game plan was to get him to play defense and he left me open all game."
wailuaFC
All-Time Great

Post by wailuaFC »

elmerjfudd wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 12:05 pm I was always always big on Andre Miller in college and in the pros. Actually hade Utah winning the title in I believe him and Doleac’s last season. Seemed to always take a good shot and could run an offense well. Always efficient and usually was tops in assists.

Todays version is Conley, first time I watched him was on ESPN when him and Oden were playing in high school and was more in awe of his game
Conley got a life time achievement all star selection a couple years ago. I think that’s kind of a fun question though, Conley or Murray? Conley is your solid pg, low turnovers, great offensive organizer, good at POA defense but small and not explosive vs Murray with his super high ceiling offensive game, much bigger, worse defensively and play making.
_Vcsgrizzfan_
Role Player

Post by _Vcsgrizzfan_ »

wailuaFC wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 1:06 am I say Jamal Murray. Dude is an absolute killer, not just recency bias because he’s been doing it for years, there’s just so many great guards in the west right now. After that, Cedric Maxwell? His ceiling was no where close to Murray though. Crazy how deep the league is nowadays that a legit #2 on a title team/best in the west player can’t even make an all star game
He actually was pretty pedestrian by his playoff standards in that round. He's injured. However, he did make two absolute dagger shots that everyone will remember. The real unsung hero in that series was Michael Porter Jr. He was lights out.
wailuaFC
All-Time Great

Post by wailuaFC »

_Vcsgrizzfan_ wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 1:01 pm
wailuaFC wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 1:06 am I say Jamal Murray. Dude is an absolute killer, not just recency bias because he’s been doing it for years, there’s just so many great guards in the west right now. After that, Cedric Maxwell? His ceiling was no where close to Murray though. Crazy how deep the league is nowadays that a legit #2 on a title team/best in the west player can’t even make an all star game
He actually was pretty pedestrian by his playoff standards in that round. He's injured. However, he did make two absolute dagger shots that everyone will remember. The real unsung hero in that series was Michael Porter Jr. He was lights out.
He wasn’t great or even good by his standards against the lakers, if you told me the lakers would hold Murray to 40% from the field I would have thought the lakers would win the series. I was just saying recency bias as in the last few playoff runs, not just this year
_Vcsgrizzfan_
Role Player

Post by _Vcsgrizzfan_ »

wailuaFC wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 1:25 pm
_Vcsgrizzfan_ wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 1:01 pm
He wasn’t great or even good by his standards against the lakers, if you told me the lakers would hold Murray to 40% from the field I would have thought the lakers would win the series. I was just saying recency bias as in the last few playoff runs, not just this year
Gotcha. Porter was the guy who played way over his head (by his 'usual' standards) and helped put Denver over the top.
Havlicekstealsit
G.O.A.T.

Post by Havlicekstealsit »

Strickland even led the league in assists one year and still couldn't get in. Pre-Bulls Ron Harper is another good one.
PhutureDynasty
Mount Rushmore

Post by PhutureDynasty »

The answer surely seems like Murray.

I had to double check that the OP was talking about Jamal Murray because I thought he was joking.

I would have bet a lot of money he'd made at least one ASG.
thedangerouskitchen
G.O.A.T.

Post by thedangerouskitchen »

So wait... you mean Joker embarrassed the Lakers (with the "alleged" GOAT -lololol, another first-ballot HOF Big in his prime, an all-star caliber Guard in his prime, and two (2) stud role-players capable of cropping 20 Points on any given night) withOut a single all-star / HOF teammate next to him???

WoW... !!!

At least when Jordan was getting swept/losing in the first round he did so against teams that were stacked with HOFERS.

But I digress...
"Today's NBA is soft, the Defense is weak, and the rules 'really' favor the Offense."

"Lebron doesn’t guard for a full game and our game plan was to get him to play defense and he left me open all game."
_Vcsgrizzfan_
Role Player

Post by _Vcsgrizzfan_ »

thedangerouskitchen wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 2:37 pm So wait... you mean Joker embarrassed the Lakers (with the "alleged" GOAT -lololol, another first-ballot HOF Big in his prime, an all-star caliber Guard in his prime, and two (2) stud role-players capable of cropping 20 Points on any given night) withOut a single all-star / HOF teammate next to him???

WoW... !!!

At least when Jordan was getting swept/losing in the first round he did so against teams that were stacked with HOFERS.

But I digress...
In today's NBA, a relative role player like Michael Porter Jr, over an entire series, not just one game, is capable of shooting over 55% from the floor overall, shoot 49% from beyond the arc while scoring 23 a game and adding over 8 boards a game. Oh, and with a TS% of 70%. Role players did that a lot in the 90s.
lettherebehouse
Clean-Up Crew

Post by lettherebehouse »

Lonzo
wailuaFC
All-Time Great

Post by wailuaFC »

thedangerouskitchen wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 2:37 pm So wait... you mean Joker embarrassed the Lakers (with the "alleged" GOAT -lololol, another first-ballot HOF Big in his prime, an all-star caliber Guard in his prime, and two (2) stud role-players capable of cropping 20 Points on any given night) withOut a single all-star / HOF teammate next to him???

WoW... !!!

But I digress...
It must be boring repeating the same thing over and over every day.
xer0
Superstar

Post by xer0 »

Gonna say Tobias Harris, the dudes underrated.
PhutureDynasty
Mount Rushmore

Post by PhutureDynasty »

xer0 wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 5:37 pm Gonna say Tobias Harris, the dudes underrated.
Wut
Alex_Murphy
Clean-Up Crew

Post by Alex_Murphy »

PhutureDynasty wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 5:38 pm
xer0 wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 5:37 pm Gonna say Tobias Harris, the dudes underrated.
Wut
He said Tobias Harris is underrated… it’s in English
wailuaFC
All-Time Great

Post by wailuaFC »

Wut
Posts like that make it obvious most posters don’t actually watch basketball. I’m sorry the 76ers are stuck with him and that contract
PhutureDynasty
Mount Rushmore

Post by PhutureDynasty »

wailuaFC wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 6:15 pm
Wut
Posts like that make it obvious most posters don’t actually watch basketball. I’m sorry the 76ers are stuck with him and that contract
He's overqualified to be a role player but underqualified to be a third option.

I just keep imagining what if all his minutes and shots were from Paul George.