Irrefutable evidence/proof why the 90's were better and tougher than today's weak, sissy NBA

Talk about anything here.
thedangerouskitchen
G.O.A.T.

Re: Irrefutable evidence/proof why the 90's were better and tougher than today's weak, sissy NBA

Post by thedangerouskitchen »

Robceltsfan wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 2:04 pm
thedangerouskitchen wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 2:00 pm
Robceltsfan wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 1:53 pm
phpBB [video]

Just watched the first 5 minutes of this NBA Finals game. ANY time a defender made contact with an offensive player.....the whistle was blown. Other than that, it was some guards getting layups....or uncontested mid-range jumpers.
Gee rob, that's great... 5 minutes of one (1) game is supposed to define an entire decade.

:lol: :roll: :L

It would be better if you just admitted you didn't watch the NBA in the 90's, and leave it at that.
I've done this exercise with you more than a few times.

The first five minutes of a Game 1 of the NBA Finals. THAT is when they played the most lax defense??? It's going to get better as the game goes on??? :lol:

If you say so...
Yes rob, Defense in the 90's was much tougher, much more physical, and played much more consistently than it is today... and when the current NBA Commissioner, current VP of Ops, as well as current players and coaches expose the Defense of today's era, you really don't have much to stand on.
Last edited by thedangerouskitchen on Mon Mar 18, 2024 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Today's NBA is soft, the Defense is weak, and the rules 'really' favor the Offense."

"Lebron doesn’t guard for a full game and our game plan was to get him to play defense and he left me open all game."
Robceltsfan
Pick 'Em League Champion

Re: Irrefutable evidence/proof why the 90's were better and tougher than today's weak, sissy NBA

Post by Robceltsfan »

thedangerouskitchen wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 2:24 pm
thedangerouskitchen wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 2:00 pm

Gee rob, that's great... 5 minutes of one (1) game is supposed to define an entire decade.

It would be better if you just admitted you didn't watch the NBA in the 90's, and leave it at that.

The first five minutes of a Game 1 of the NBA Finals. THAT is when they played the most lax defense??? It's going to get better as the game goes on??? :lol:

If you say so...
Yes rob, Defense in the 90's was much tougher, much more physical, and played much more consistently than it is today... and when the current NBA Commissioner, current VP of Ops, as well as current player and coaches expose the Defense of today's era, you really don't have much to stand on.
Nice job dodging the question! :lol:
Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are dumber than that.

~George Carlin~
wailuaFC
All-Time Great

Post by wailuaFC »

thedangerouskitchen wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 1:56 pm
wailuaFC wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 1:38 pm
thedangerouskitchen wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 1:35 pm

You're watching with your eyes closed then, if you actually think the league is just as/more physical today than it was in the 90's... and you don't have to take my word for it, just listen to the NBA Commish, the VP of Ops, and many current players/coaches, who recently confirmed that the NBA today is soft and the Defense is weak (by virtue of the fact that the rules in place heavily favor Offenses).

Thus, your beef should be with Silver (for turning the NBA soft and weak) not me.
Like I said, watch the games. Come up with an original thought.
So TDK, Adam Silver, Joe Dumars, Doc Rivers, Steve Kerr, Rudy Gobert, Trae Young, Luka Donic, etc., etc (the Commish, a VP, current coaches and current players) are all wrong about the soft and weak Style and Defense of today's NBA, but you're right?

Hmmm...

Somehow I'm not convinced.
Once again, stop seeking confirmation bias and actually watch the games. You can think for yourself
thedangerouskitchen
G.O.A.T.

Robceltsfan wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 2:25 pm

If you say so...
Yes rob, Defense in the 90's was much tougher, much more physical, and played much more consistently than it is today... and when the current NBA Commissioner, current VP of Ops, as well as current player and coaches expose the Defense of today's era, you really don't have much to stand on.
Of course Defense gets better as the game progresses (and pressure and emotions intensify) vs. the opening minutes of a new series with a new opponent, when teams are in the "feeling each other out" process.

What's your point, that that one 5-minute clip defines the entire decade of the 90's... or that that clip somehow eliminates what Silver, Dumars, Gobert, Kerr, Rivers, Young, Donic, and others said/say about the soft/weak style of today's NBA/Defense?

:noidea:
"Today's NBA is soft, the Defense is weak, and the rules 'really' favor the Offense."

"Lebron doesn’t guard for a full game and our game plan was to get him to play defense and he left me open all game."
Robceltsfan
Pick 'Em League Champion

Post by Robceltsfan »

thedangerouskitchen wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 2:40 pm

Of course Defense gets better as the game progresses (and pressure and emotions intensify) vs. the opening minutes of a new series with a new opponent, when teams are in the "feeling each other out" process.

What's your point, that that one 5-minute clip defines the entire decade of the 90's... or that that clip somehow eliminates what Silver, Dumars, Gobert, Kerr, Rivers, Young, Donic, and others said/say about the soft/weak style of today's NBA/Defense?

Maybe I'll go ahead and watch the rest of the game.....but it would be better if YOU did that.
Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are dumber than that.

~George Carlin~
thedangerouskitchen
G.O.A.T.

wailuaFC wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 2:38 pm
wailuaFC wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 1:38 pm
Like I said, watch the games. Come up with an original thought.
So TDK, Adam Silver, Joe Dumars, Doc Rivers, Steve Kerr, Rudy Gobert, Trae Young, Luka Donic, etc., etc (the Commish, a VP, current coaches and current players) are all wrong about the soft and weak Style and Defense of today's NBA, but you're right?

Hmmm...

Once again, stop seeking confirmation bias and actually watch the games. You can think for yourself.
You claim today's NBA is more physical than ever before EVEN THOUGH the league itself (along with current Players/Coaches) say you're wrong... in other words perhaps you need to stop thinking for yourself on certin topics.

Seems that's the case here.

wailuaFC
All-Time Great

Post by wailuaFC »

thedangerouskitchen wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 2:47 pm
wailuaFC wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 2:38 pm

Hmmm...

Once again, stop seeking confirmation bias and actually watch the games. You can think for yourself.
You claim today's NBA is more physical than ever before EVEN THOUGH the league itself (along with current Players/Coaches) say you're wrong... in other words perhaps you need to stop thinking for yourself on certin topics.

Seems that's the case here.

Watch the video posted in this thread, it’s 90s basketball, you should love it.
Robceltsfan
Pick 'Em League Champion

Post by Robceltsfan »

"you need to stop thinking for yourself" ~TheDrunkKid

LOL....we're done here.

~George Carlin~
thedangerouskitchen
G.O.A.T.

Robceltsfan wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 2:44 pm
thedangerouskitchen wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 2:40 pm

Maybe I'll go ahead and watch the rest of the game.....but it would be better if YOU did that.
Already wwatched them all... and as noted, the league in the 90's was much more physical and tougher, and defense played much more consistently than today... again, even the league itself (along with current players and coaches) admitted Defense today is weak and soft.

You should send them all emails and let them know that you know more about today's product than they do.

:lol:

thedangerouskitchen
G.O.A.T.

Robceltsfan wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 2:49 pm "you need to stop thinking for yourself" ~TheDrunkKid

LOL....we're done here.
I said on "certain topics"... the fact that you would deliberately take my words out of context is proof that, yes, we ARE done here: When the league itself, along with its players and coaches go on recrod to dis today's Defense then anyone who disagrees is a fool.

It's just that simple... or do you think they all purposely trashed today's product because they want to troll fans like you?

Of course not. They said it because it's true.

Case-closed.

Robceltsfan
Pick 'Em League Champion

Post by Robceltsfan »

thedangerouskitchen wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 2:55 pm
Robceltsfan wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 2:49 pm "you need to stop thinking for yourself" ~TheDrunkKid

LOL....we're done here.
I said on "certain topics"... the fact that you would deliberately take my words out of context is proof that, yes, we ARE done here: When the league itself, along with its players and coaches go on recrod to dis today's Defense then anyone who disagrees is a fool.

It's just that simple... or do you think they all purposely trashed today's product because they want to troll fans like you?

Case-closed.
You constantly dismiss when pros/coaches say that today's NBA is superior to GLORY DAYS (and there are plenty). Maybe you should stop thinking for yourself, too? :lol:

~George Carlin~
_Vcsgrizzfan_
Role Player

Post by _Vcsgrizzfan_ »

LOL....we're done here.

Case-closed.
You are always disingenuous on this board. On virtually every single topic. Now claiming someone else is taking your words out of context is just too rich.
Titan18
In Theo we trust

Post by Titan18 »

Not going to through this but I’m guessing it’s another tdk bloodbath

_Vcsgrizzfan_
Role Player

Post by _Vcsgrizzfan_ »

Titan18 wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 3:21 pm Not going to through this but I’m guessing it’s another tdk bloodbath

Kind of like when you two discuss anything related to Chicago.
thedangerouskitchen
G.O.A.T.

_Vcsgrizzfan_ wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 3:13 pm

LOL....we're done here.

Case-closed.
You are always disingenuous on this board. On virtually every single topic. Now claiming someone else is taking your words out of context is just too rich.
I'm merely listening to the "experts" (ie; the current NBA Commish, current VP of Ops, and current Players/Coaches) who confirm that today's Style / Defense is soft and weak... not my fault you/others can't handle the truth.

xer0
Superstar

Post by xer0 »

I'd rather watch a random 90's playoff game than attempt to stomach this god Awful modern era of NBA basketball, it's an unwatchable product with a bunch of boring athletes that have no fundamentals and don't know how to defend. From that to the terrible terrible officiating the game only appeals to low IQ NBA simps.
thedangerouskitchen
G.O.A.T.

xer0 wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 11:01 am I'd rather watch a random 90's playoff game than attempt to stomach this god Awful modern era of NBA basketball, it's an unwatchable product with a bunch of boring athletes that have no fundamentals and don't know how to defend. From that to the terrible terrible officiating the game only appeals to low IQ NBA simps.
Well said... I mean, how many times can you watch teams MISS 65% of the shots that make up 40-50% of their Offense withOut hitting the snooze button, not to mention the boatloads of (Parting of the Rea Sea) layups/dunks that take place because the Bigs are 30 feet away chuckin' bombs instead of protecting the basket.

:roll:

You can go into any YMCA today and watch a pick-up game, and it'll be no different than watching today's NBA... except I think even the guys in the gym play better Defense than the pros these days.

:L

Robceltsfan
Pick 'Em League Champion

Post by Robceltsfan »

FG% in 1992-93: 47.3%

FG% in 2023-24: 47.5%

:lol: :lol: :lol:

~George Carlin~
thedangerouskitchen
G.O.A.T.

Robceltsfan wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:00 pm FG% in 1992-93: 47.3%

Hold on a second... I though you claimed today's players are soooo much better and more skilled??? How can that be when they shoot basically the same % from the field?

PS: The league shot higher than that throughout the entire decade of the 80's. In fact, 10 of the top 11 all-time highest FG% seasons belong to the 80's, including the Top 6 spots. So are we to conclude that the players from the 80's were better and more skilled than today's players??? If not, then you have no point.

Robceltsfan
Pick 'Em League Champion

Post by Robceltsfan »

thedangerouskitchen wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:13 pm
Robceltsfan wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:00 pm FG% in 1992-93: 47.3%

Hold on a second... I though you claimed today's players are soooo much better and more skilled??? How can that be when they shoot basically the same % from the field?

PS: The league shot higher than that throughout the entire decade of the 80's. In fact, 10 of the top 11 all-time highest FG% seasons belong to the 80's, including the Top 6 spots. So are we to conclude that the players from the 80's were better and more skilled than today's players??? If not, then you have no point.

Shooting the same percentage while taking shots at average 10-15 feet further from the basket is IMPRESSIVE AS FUCK. :lol:

~George Carlin~