Allen Iverson says he would average 43 points in today’s NBA

Talk about anything here.
Bush4Ever.
All-Time Great

Re: Allen Iverson says he would average 43 points in today’s NBA

Post by Bush4Ever. »

I like how it's 43. He'd blow by 42, but damn it...44 is out of reach.
elmouse03
Mount Rushmore

Post by elmouse03 »

40ppg on 40% shooting. Mr. 40 all the way.
PhutureDynasty
Mount Rushmore

Post by PhutureDynasty »

For those who think Allen Iverson is wrong, please tell me how many NBA MVPs you have won in real life.
thedangerouskitchen
G.O.A.T.

Post by thedangerouskitchen »

To AI's point, he dropped 33 a game in a much slower, much harder to score era of the NBA... adding about 10 PPG in today's no Defense, fast paced era wouldn't be tough at all; just one (1) additional FG per Quarter and a couple FT's.

Piece of cake for an elite Scorer like Iverson.
"Today's NBA is soft, the Defense is weak, and the rules 'really' favor the Offense."

"Lebron doesn’t guard for a full game and our game plan was to get him to play defense and he left me open all game."
Robceltsfan
Pick 'Em League Champion

Post by Robceltsfan »

Iverson is MAYBE a slightly better version of Ja Morant in today's NBA. He'd have less impact than in the late 90's/early 00's.....mainly due to his massive inefficiency.

Bubbachuck came to the NBA at the right time for his game.
Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are dumber than that.

~George Carlin~
xer0
Superstar

Post by xer0 »

Iverson was a really great player that gets unfairly crapped on by number crunching dorks. Dude was one of the most dynamic guards in NBA history that was right up there with Kobe in his prime, had shit teams around him most of his career. I think he could get 40, especially if he mastered the flop which is one of the best weapons in the NBA right now.
Robceltsfan
Pick 'Em League Champion

Post by Robceltsfan »

xer0 wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 12:09 pm Iverson was a really great player that gets unfairly crapped on by number crunching dorks. Dude was one of the most dynamic guards in NBA history that was right up there with Kobe in his prime, had shit teams around him most of his career. I think he could get 40, especially if he mastered the flop which is one of the best weapons in the NBA right now.
The dude had a 9-season span where he averaged 10 FTA's per game. Iverson was a low-efficiency chucker. Doesn't mean he wasn't good at it, but his shooting percentages aren't likely to improve much in today's NBA.

During that same 9-season span he averaged 24.2 FGA's (WOW!). How many shots do you think he's actually taking now? Thirty? Thirty-five?

Everyone also has to remember that players aren't getting the same minutes now that they got then....so there's less opportunity for shot attempts. Again, same 9 years....42.3 MPG for AI. He ain't getting that playing time today.
Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are dumber than that.

~George Carlin~
Havlicekstealsit
G.O.A.T.

Post by Havlicekstealsit »

Literally thousands of players played in the NBA in the 90s/2000s and I sure do hope we get to ask each and every one of them how much they think they would average in today's NBA. Can some podcaster PLEASE get Stacy Augmon's insight on how much he can average today? Mark Madsen, please? Armen Gillam, please someone get his opinion. I absolutely will not rest until Detlef Schrempf tells us his made up PPG for today.
PhutureDynasty
Mount Rushmore

Post by PhutureDynasty »

Havlicekstealsit wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 12:16 pm Literally thousands of players played in the NBA in the 90s/2000s and I sure do hope we get to ask each and every one of them how much they think they would average in today's NBA. Can some podcaster PLEASE get Stacy Augmon's insight on how much he can average today? Mark Madsen, please? Armen Gillam, please someone get his opinion. I absolutely will not rest until Detlef Schrempf tells us his made up PPG for today.
zombiesonics
Mount Rushmore

Post by zombiesonics »

The year AI averaged 33 PPG he shot 11 FTA per game which would the most in the league today by far.

The only player averaging double digit FTA in the league today is Giannis who is 6’11” 250lbs.

Stern’s NBA.

:stephenalol:
Last edited by zombiesonics on Thu Feb 22, 2024 12:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
AlaskaHawks
Mount Rushmore

Post by AlaskaHawks »

TDK could personally drop 20 a night in today's soft NBA. There's no debate how easy it is to make and succeed in the league in the 2020s.
"The idea is not to block every shot. The idea is to make your opponent believe you might block every shot."
Bill Russell

"I'm just 'bout that action, boss"
L.O.B. = Love our Brothers.
Bush4Ever.
All-Time Great

Post by Bush4Ever. »

About the best thing you could say about Iverson's scoring game is that he could get *a* shot off whenever he wanted, but even more importantly, he could draw fouls like a maniac while being respectable at the line, which is indeed a great attribute (and counterbalanced his terrible shooting to some degree).

In his Philly career...35pts/100 possessions and TS+ of 98 during his Philly years.

On a better team, his volume would drop and his efficiency would increase (in his brief Denver career it was 30/100 and TS+ 103).

In 2024, his volume would probably increase some on a per-possession basis, but his efficiency might be even worse since he couldn't shoot that well from the outside, and would be competing with peers that mostly can. I don't think his ability to draw fouls and hit FTs would outrun the three-point effect.
Titan18
In Theo we trust

Post by Titan18 »

He’s right
thedangerouskitchen
G.O.A.T.

Robceltsfan wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 12:16 pm
xer0 wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 12:09 pm Iverson was a really great player that gets unfairly crapped on by number crunching dorks. Dude was one of the most dynamic guards in NBA history that was right up there with Kobe in his prime, had shit teams around him most of his career. I think he could get 40, especially if he mastered the flop which is one of the best weapons in the NBA right now.
The dude had a 9-season span where he averaged 10 FTA's per game. Iverson was a low-efficiency chucker. Doesn't mean he wasn't good at it, but his shooting percentages aren't likely to improve much in today's NBA.
Iverson: 37% from 10-16 feet / 40% from 16-3pt (
LeBron: 36% from 10-16 feet / 39% from 16-3pt

:trumphuh:
"Today's NBA is soft, the Defense is weak, and the rules 'really' favor the Offense."

"Lebron doesn’t guard for a full game and our game plan was to get him to play defense and he left me open all game."
Robceltsfan
Pick 'Em League Champion

Post by Robceltsfan »

thedangerouskitchen wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 1:07 pm
Robceltsfan wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 12:16 pm
Iverson: 37% from 10-16 feet / 40% from 16-3pt (
LeBron: 36% from 10-16 feet / 39% from 16-3pt

:trumphuh:
Yes, thank you. Now, how many shots are each player jacking from those locations?

~George Carlin~
thedangerouskitchen
G.O.A.T.

Why do fans of today's era get so butt-hurt over the fact that it's much easier to score today than it was in the 90's/00's?

:noidea:

Bush4Ever.
All-Time Great

Post by Bush4Ever. »

Taking a 10-23 foot shot *is* low-efficiency ball.

Iverson took 42 percent of his shots 10 feet out to the 3pt line.
Lebron took 28 percent of his shots from the same distance.
elmouse03
Mount Rushmore

Post by elmouse03 »

Stern got a lot of heat for trying to make the game easier for Euros to score. Now the Euros are saying it's harder to score in the Euro league then it is in the NBA.
_Vcsgrizzfan_
Role Player

Post by _Vcsgrizzfan_ »

Iverson is one of the most overrated players in NBA history. Not as overrated as Pistol Pete or Adrian Dantley, but grossly overrated. Efficiency matters - a lot if you are taking a ton of shots. If you are taking 5 shots a game and you shoot 40%, it's not a big deal. If you are shooting 20-25 x a game and you shoot 40%, that kills a team.

As to Rob's point about him being similar to Morant, Morant is a significantly better finisher at the rim and shoots at least as well. He doesn't quite have the handles that Iverson had, but his added height counteracts that.

This notion that ANYBODY from the past could score considerably more than they did in their era is all complete delusional bullshit. And that includes Wilt and Jordan.