Is this THE greatest "individual regular season" ever...?

Talk about anything here.
thedangerouskitchen
G.O.A.T.

Is this THE greatest "individual regular season" ever...?

Post by thedangerouskitchen »

87-88 Jordan (the year some posters on this board claim he was carried by rookie Scottie Pippen - :lol: )

35.0 / 5.5 / 5.9 / 3.2 / 1.6 / 54% / 84%

Led league:
Minutes/g
Points/g
Steal/g
Minutes
FG Made
FG Attempts
FT Made
2PT FG Made
2PT FG Attempts
Steals
OWS
WS
WS48
OBPM
DBPM
BPM
VORP

NOTE: All that YET he didn't lead the league in Usage% (for the, "he was a ball hog" crowd)... also led the league in FT Made but "not" Attempts (for the, "he got all the calls" crowd.)

Awards/Accomplishments:
- All Star game MVP
- League MVP
- Sporting News MVP
- DPOY
- 1st Team NBA
- 1st Team Defense
- Slam Dunk Champion
- DPOY and Scoring title in same season (only player to do so)
- MVP, DPOY and Scoring title in same season (only player to do so)
- At least 200 Steals / 100 Blocks (only player ever to do so twice)
- 1.6 Blocks best-ever in NBA history for a Guard
- 18 games with 40 or more Points
- 4 games with 50 or more Points
- 59 Points on staggering 78% shooting (against the #2 ranked Defense of the Bad Boys)
- 32 Points on 78% shooting and TEN (10) Steals in just 27 minutes against the Nets

In terms of 2-way dominance combined with raw stats, made-up stats, categories leading the league, awards and accomplishments I can't think of another player who comes even close... except for maybe a different MJ season.

So is this THE single-greatest "individual" NBA season ever?

:noidea:
"Today's NBA is soft, the Defense is weak, and the rules 'really' favor the Offense."

"Lebron doesn’t guard for a full game and our game plan was to get him to play defense and he left me open all game."
kobeunderbite
Proud supporter of President Trump.

Re: Is this THE greatest "individual regular season" ever...?

Post by kobeunderbite »

Couldn't have been because it was a talent starved era, so the numbers are all asterisked.
thedangerouskitchen
G.O.A.T.

kobeunderbite wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 3:21 pm Couldn't have been because it was a talent starved era, so the numbers are all asterisked.
:lol: :roll: :L
"Today's NBA is soft, the Defense is weak, and the rules 'really' favor the Offense."

"Lebron doesn’t guard for a full game and our game plan was to get him to play defense and he left me open all game."
Shill Jackson
Mount Rushmore

Post by Shill Jackson »

OP listed minutes twice
"Educated people make the world a better place, they mercilessly attack misery and cruelty, and eventually they win."
--Henry Rollins

**zombiesonics is a feckless cunt!**
zombiesonics
Mount Rushmore

Post by zombiesonics »

Wouldn’t be a top 5 player in today’s league.
rileymartin
Mount Rushmore

Post by rileymartin »

That wasnt even the best in 87-88....
elmerjfudd
The Lurker

Post by elmerjfudd »

That’s the norm for a top 5 season today
thedangerouskitchen
G.O.A.T.

Shill Jackson wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 3:29 pm OP listed minutes twice
One is for Minutes per game the other Total Minutes played, as they are not the same.

thedangerouskitchen
G.O.A.T.

elmerjfudd wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 4:31 pm That’s the norm for a top 5 season today
As has been noted numerous time, I haven't watched an NBA in 4+ years, so perhaps I'm behind the times here... that said, go ahead and list all the players in the past 5 years who averaged 35/6/6 on 54%/84%, with 3.2 Steals and 1.6 Blocks per game.

Thanks in advance.

thedangerouskitchen
G.O.A.T.

rileymartin wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 4:23 pm That wasnt even the best in 87-88....
Who was better?

thedangerouskitchen
G.O.A.T.

zombiesonics wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 4:08 pm Wouldn’t be a top 5 player in today’s league.
Please go ahead an list the 5 players today who you think are better than prime MJ.

I'll wait, and be ready for big laughs.

Bush4Ever.
All-Time Great

Post by Bush4Ever. »

His 1989-1991 seasons are considered better by most analytics people (although you need to dive into the higher end analytics...not BR material), and yes Jordan's peak is considered the best peak ever (his best five-year prime is also the best five-year prime ever as well).

Pippen coming over in 1988 really sent not only his winning but also his individual game into the stratosphere.

Pippen not only taught Jordan how to win, but also how to put up the highest level of individual statistics, since Jordan did better on both fronts post-Pippen than pre-Pippen, and dropped majorly after Pippen left on both fronts.
Havlicekstealsit
G.O.A.T.

Post by Havlicekstealsit »

29.9ppg
9.3rpg
6.1apg
50/40/90 shooting
All league first team

Wasn't too bad either.
rileymartin
Mount Rushmore

Post by rileymartin »

Havlicekstealsit wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 6:45 pm 29.9ppg
9.3rpg
6.1apg
50/40/90 shooting
All league first team

Wasn't too bad either.
Bingo
Bush4Ever.
All-Time Great

Post by Bush4Ever. »

You could easily make an argument Joker had a better season last year than Jordan 1988.

25/12/10 on TS+ of 121 (!!), plus taking a relatively modest (for title teams) team to a ring.

30/14/10 on turbo-efficiency in the playoffs
Average game score of 28 in the Finals.

Wild.
Uncontroversial
All-Time Great

Post by Uncontroversial »

there's like 7 guys having better statistical seasons this year
Shut your bitch mouth, Trumpie loser
AlaskaHawks
Mount Rushmore

Post by AlaskaHawks »

Just because you live near Chicago and lost your virginity that year does not make Jordan the goat.

Not at all the best season ever.
"The idea is not to block every shot. The idea is to make your opponent believe you might block every shot."
Bill Russell

"I'm just 'bout that action, boss"
L.O.B. = Love our Brothers.
thedangerouskitchen
G.O.A.T.

rileymartin wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 9:07 pm
Havlicekstealsit wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 6:45 pm 29.9ppg
9.3rpg
6.1apg
50/40/90 shooting
All league first team

Wasn't too bad either.
Bingo
That's the same guy who called MJ "God" in just his 2nd year in the league, after Mike dropped 44/6/6/51% on the legendary GOAT-level Celtics with five (5) HOFERS... and pretty much made them look like a HS Varsity team.

I love Larry Legend, but Jordan firmly established himself as the best player in the league after that series... by the end of the 87-87 season he was the unquestioned best in the game.

Fact.

Grab some bench, old man.

thedangerouskitchen
G.O.A.T.

Bush4Ever. wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 6:40 pm His 1989-1991 seasons are considered better by most analytics people (although you need to dive into the higher end analytics...not BR material), and yes Jordan's peak is considered the best peak ever (his best five-year prime is also the best five-year prime ever as well).
Best 7 years, not 5 (ie; 1887 - 93).

Also, from my OP:

"In terms of 2-way dominance combined with raw stats, made-up stats, categories leading the league, awards and accomplishments I can't think of another player who comes even close... except for maybe a different MJ season."

So yeah, you could argue Jordan circa 89, 90, or 91 as better regular season "statistical" seasons than 88 MJ. You'll get no argument from me, that's for sure.

thedangerouskitchen
G.O.A.T.

Uncontroversial wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 9:50 pm there's like 7 guys having better statistical seasons this year
:L

From my OP:

"In terms of 2-way dominance combined with raw stats, made-up stats, categories leading the league, awards and accomplishments I can't think of another player who comes even close..."