G.O.A.T.

Bob Knight dead at 83

Post by Havlicekstealsit »

z
PhutureDynasty
Mount Rushmore

Re: Bob Knight dead at 83

Post by PhutureDynasty »

RIP to a guy who would have been cancelled 1000 times over in today's society.

One of the best college basketball coaches ever.
Havlicekstealsit
G.O.A.T.

PhutureDynasty wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 7:19 pm RIP to a guy who would have been cancelled 1000 times over in today's society.

He was a hothead they would have "canceled" for sure, but he also donated much to IU's academics and his players graduated at almost a 100% clip. They wanna shut down someone who for decades turned kids into men then that's on their own conscience.
PhutureDynasty
Mount Rushmore

Post by PhutureDynasty »

Havlicekstealsit wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 7:23 pm
PhutureDynasty wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 7:19 pm RIP to a guy who would have been cancelled 1000 times over in today's society.

He was a hothead they would have "canceled" for sure, but he also donated much to IU's academics and his players graduated at almost a 100% clip. They wanna shut down someone who for decades turned kids into men then that's on their own conscience.
Cancel culture is generally BS, with some exceptions.
Havlicekstealsit
G.O.A.T.

Who turned out to be Knight's most successful player - Isiah Thomas, or Coach K? Future endeavors, obvs since Mike didn't play in the NBA. Bill Parcells was also a PT assistant under Knight @ Army.
manchild98
Hidden Member

Post by manchild98 »

The Trump vaccine kills another.
rileymartin
Mount Rushmore

Post by rileymartin »

Hopefully they honor his request to be buried upside down so his critics can kiss his ass...
thedangerouskitchen
G.O.A.T.

Post by thedangerouskitchen »

RIP to a true MAGA Patriot!
"Today's NBA is soft, the Defense is weak, and the rules 'really' favor the Offense."

"Lebron doesn’t guard for a full game and our game plan was to get him to play defense and he left me open all game."
Bush4Ever.
All-Time Great

Post by Bush4Ever. »

He's been bad for a while.

As an Indiana guy (even going to Purdue), I think I've read everything about Knight and seen most of his interviews.

Whatever else you want to say about him...he was an original who did a lot of good in the world.
Bush4Ever.
All-Time Great

Post by Bush4Ever. »

Here is one pretty funny story that isn't told much:

Basically, Knight hated most sport writers and especially recruiting experts/services and the like, and so he created a fake recruit named Ivan Renko who had committed to Indiana, and a good chunk of said people ran around giving analysis of Renko, talks of over and underrating, and some people even claiming to have seen him play in-person:

Few things irritated me as much over the years as the rise of the self-proclaimed recruiting expert in newspapers around the country. A lot of fans are interested in recruiting news. Unquestionably, it sells newspapers - it even spawns whole magazines and periodicals and "services."

Never mind that what the fans read is frequently inaccurate, to use a kind word. Never mind that it puts public pressure on kids, when they and their parents are trying to make a quiet, serious decision. Never mind what extreme national recruitign attention does to kids' egos, their sense of self-worth.

Over the years I have taken an occasional shot at the same that this whole evlauation process has become. In late January of the 1992-93 season, as my Sunday television show was ending, I dropped in an almost accidental news leak - "NCAA rules prevent me from speaking about specific recruits. I spoke at a clinic in Europe last July, attended by about four hundred coaches. I was given some information over there on a kid from Yugoslavia. When I got back from the Northwestern game, on my desk was an indication that this kid has committed to coming to Indiana. He's a six-foot-eight, two-hundred-and-thirty pound kid that I think... anybody who follows the political situation of civil unrest in Yugoslavia can appreciate the fact that we'd just kinda like to leave it go at that. The kid's name is Ivan Renko. Let it suffice to say that we're very pleased to get this commitment."

The greatest fly every tied never caught as many fish as I did with Ivan Renko.

The recruiting 'experts' jumped at my bait. The waters exploded. Guru after guru commented. Some, to their credit, were honest - Bob Gibbons comes to mind. He and a few others - there are some good guys in the lot - said they had never heard of the guy but they would check. Others couldn't do that, couldn't let themselves seem to have been caught unprepared. Several said they knew about this Renko kid, had files on him, and they either agreed that he was an outstanding prospect or said how much I overrated him.

My favorites were the ones in the group who claimed to have actually seen Ivan Renko play and offered an instant, detailed evaluation of his skills and his future as a college player.

There was, of course, no Ivan Renko. I made up everything about him on the broadcast, and in a few follow-up comments that kept it all going. I wanted to make a point that so much of what people pay money to get from recruiting experts is sheer bullshit, and I think I - and they, in their reactions - did make that point. I figured it was kind of like the false D-day plans the Allied forces 'allowed' to get into German hands."

https://giveemhellbrigham.com/ivan-renk ... ournalism/
Wishbone
Fantasy BBall Champ

Post by Wishbone »

Loved coach knight, one of kind a true legend. Saw him once announcing at a CBB game.

We need more people like him. He'll be missed.
lettherebehouse
Clean-Up Crew

Post by lettherebehouse »

We need more Bob Knights today more than ever

RIP King
AlaskaHawks
Mount Rushmore

Post by AlaskaHawks »

RIPIP. I'll throw a chair in your honor.
"The idea is not to block every shot. The idea is to make your opponent believe you might block every shot."
Bill Russell

"I'm just 'bout that action, boss"
L.O.B. = Love our Brothers.
kobeunderbite
Proud supporter of President Trump.

Post by kobeunderbite »

manchild98 wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 8:02 pm The Trump vaccine kills another.

No chance he took that poison
elartman1973
El Padrino

Post by elartman1973 »

Tdk fucked him
"I'm drivin Caddy, you fixin a FORD"