The Magic have made no moves this offseason

Talk about anything here.
vcsgrizzfan
Mount Rushmore

Re: The Magic have made no moves this offseason

Post by vcsgrizzfan »

thedangerouskitchen wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 2:51 pm And this is the era of the NBA that's supposed to be vastly superior to any era we've ever seen.

:lol: ... this guy wouldn't make a college roster back in the 80's - 00's, but today he's a #1 pick in the NBA.

:mjlaugh:
Your cognitive biases know no boundaries.

From the last half dozen years, Steph, KD, LeBron, Booker, Jokic, the Greek Freak, Embiid are better than anyone from the 90s excluding Jordan and Hakeem. Several from that list are arguably better than Hakeem. It's a shame you don't watch. Maybe it isn't. You are better off sucking your thumb reliving your "Glory Days" from the 90s as opposed to facing reality.
elartman1973
El Padrino

Post by elartman1973 »

thedangerouskitchen wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 2:51 pm And this is the era of the NBA that's supposed to be vastly superior to any era we've ever seen.

:lol: ... this guy wouldn't make a college roster back in the 80's - 00's, but today he's a #1 pick in the NBA.

Tell us you know nothing about basketball or Fultz without telling us you know nothing about basketball or fultz.

He's a superior point guard and extremely high IQ player and elite in the paint and midrange....but keep being ignorant

And no, he's not the best magic player ot even 2nd best
Dipshit
"I'm drivin Caddy, you fixin a FORD"

PhutureDynasty
Mount Rushmore

Post by PhutureDynasty »

vcsgrizzfan wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 3:26 pm

Steph, KD, LeBron, Booker, Jokic, the Greek Freak, Embiid are better than anyone from the 90s excluding Jordan and Hakeem.
Just want to give Barkley some love here.

He was definitely better than Booker has been so far.
vcsgrizzfan
Mount Rushmore

Post by vcsgrizzfan »

PhutureDynasty wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 4:06 pm

Steph, KD, LeBron, Booker, Jokic, the Greek Freak, Embiid are better than anyone from the 90s excluding Jordan and Hakeem.

We can agree to disagree. Barkley's best years were in the 80s, not the 90s. I probably value Booker too high, but I think that guy is criminally underrated. I see him more than most and I actually think he is more important to the Suns winning a ring than KD at this point. I also have long been in the camp that believed both Barkley and Malone were overrated, for different reasons. I still hold that view, but it is completely reasonable to disagree with me on both those guys.
Da Stars.
Tight wad. Penny pincher. Mr. Dollar Theater.

Post by Da Stars. »

From the last half dozen years, Steph, KD, LeBron, Booker, Jokic, the Greek Freak, Embiid are better than anyone from the 90s excluding Jordan and Hakeem. Several from that list are arguably better than Hakeem. It's a shame you don't watch. Maybe it isn't. You are better off sucking your thumb reliving your "Glory Days" from the 90s as opposed to facing reality.
Hey now, I liked the 90's. Last time three of my favorite teams won a championship.
PhutureDynasty
Mount Rushmore

Post by PhutureDynasty »

vcsgrizzfan wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 4:28 pm
PhutureDynasty wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 4:06 pm
vcsgrizzfan wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 3:26 pm Steph, KD, LeBron, Booker, Jokic, the Greek Freak, Embiid are better than anyone from the 90s excluding Jordan and Hakeem.

We can agree to disagree. Barkley's best years were in the 80s, not the 90s. I probably value Booker too high, but I think that guy is criminally underrated. I see him more than most and I actually think he is more important to the Suns winning a ring than KD at this point. I also have long been in the camp that believed both Barkley and Malone were overrated, for different reasons. I still hold that view, but it is completely reasonable to disagree with me on both those guys.
Definitely a reasonable opinion and I don't hate the logic but I will push back about Barkley's best years being in the 80s. He won MVP in 1993. Even if it wasn't through the entire decade Barkley is a name mentioned when you think about the 90s.

Not worth splitting hairs though.
elartman1973
El Padrino

Post by elartman1973 »

These 3 guys weren't available to start the season last year but they are fully amped and healthy but ya that's not a factor because it's not a " blockbuster" move.

"I'm drivin Caddy, you fixin a FORD"

thedangerouskitchen
G.O.A.T.

Post by thedangerouskitchen »

You seem irritable... is your bra on too tight again, meatball?

lol

LeCommie, Booker... zero Defense Curry??

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Embiid... over Shaq??

You're either trolling or just plain dumb.
"Today's NBA is soft, the Defense is weak, and the rules 'really' favor the Offense."

"Lebron doesn’t guard for a full game and our game plan was to get him to play defense and he left me open all game."
vcsgrizzfan
Mount Rushmore

Post by vcsgrizzfan »

thedangerouskitchen wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 12:05 am

lol

Embiid... over Shaq??

Shaq belongs to the 2000s dude. Sorry. If you don't think LeBron and Curry are better than anyone from the 90s not named Jordan or Hakeem, you're an idiot. And in LeBron's case, the only debate from that decade is MJ. He clearly is above Hakeem. So are the other guys I mentioned with the possible exception of Booker, who I think is one of the most underrated players in the Association. Only Hakeem and MJ best those guys.

Part of intelligence is recognizing cognitive biases and adjusting accordingly. You have massive cognitive bias on every subject and no ability to adjust. It is why pretty much the entire board thinks you're a dope.

From the 90s, we have one top 10 player and arguably no one else in the top 15-20 all time. Currently in the NBA, we have LeBron, KD, Curry and several others that will end up ranking higher than anyone not named MJ or Hakeem when the dust all settles.
Titan18
In Theo we trust

Post by Titan18 »

vcsgrizzfan wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 10:58 am

lol

Embiid... over Shaq??

Shaq belongs to the 2000s dude. Sorry. If you don't think LeBron and Curry are better than anyone from the 90s not named Jordan or Hakeem, you're an idiot. And in LeBron's case, the only debate from that decade is MJ. He clearly is above Hakeem. So are the other guys I mentioned with the possible exception of Booker, who I think is one of the most underrated players in the Association. Only Hakeem and MJ best those guys.

Part of intelligence is recognizing cognitive biases and adjusting accordingly. You have massive cognitive bias on every subject and no ability to adjust. It is why pretty much the entire board thinks you're a dope.

From the 90s, we have one top 10 player and arguably no one else in the top 15-20 all time. Currently in the NBA, we have LeBron, KD, Curry and several others that will end up ranking higher than anyone not named MJ or Hakeem when the dust all settles.
Come on. Yes Shaq legacy is in the 00s but he did play 7 seasons in the 90s averaging 27/12/3 and went to the finals. Acting like he wasn’t a prominent member of the 90s and a complete menace is disingenuous. 90s Shaq was absolutely better than Embiid, Booker, and even todays version of Lebron.

Edit: at second thought maybe not Embiid. However point remains that Shaq belongs in a convo about 90s players seeing he played a majority of the decade and was pretty damn good.
Last edited by Titan18 on Fri Oct 06, 2023 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bush4Ever.
All-Time Great

Post by Bush4Ever. »

A series of 90s vs. Modern era would not be competitive, with full rosters in play.

The tops of decades will always be competitive (usually), but getting into the 5th, 6th, 9th, 10th spots....there are meaningful differences, and that's not even taking into account differences in strategy, skills, and understanding borne largely out of analytics.

And the 1980s and 1990s had a million washout, mediocre high picks. It's basically a custom for that to happen in every draft.

Joe Smith? Candy Man? Nervous Pervis Ellison? And those are number 1s, not just lottery or top 3.

Starting in 1988....

Danny Manning
Pervis Ellison
Derick Coleman
Larry Johnson
Shaq
C-Webber
Big Dog (Glenn Robinson, Purdue Alum)
Joe Smith
Tim Duncan
Candy Man

Not exactly a perfect record. Two complete duds, Two legends, and most of the others (except C-Webber) floating somewhere in the C to B- range of players.
elmouse03
Mount Rushmore

Post by elmouse03 »

Bill Russell retires right before Kareem is drafted.

Kareem retires and Pervis Ellison gets drafted after?

Talk about a fall.
thedangerouskitchen
G.O.A.T.

lol

Embiid... over Shaq??

It always cracks me up when grizz talks about cognitive bias, and then insists that Bill Russell is the GOAT.

:lol: :L :roll:

Anyway... as noted, if you think LeCommie TODAY is better than any player from the 90's (aside from MJ and Dream), I repeat: You're just plain dumb.

Steph? Yeah, fantastic shooter (probably the GOAT shooter) BUT not much else... basically his era's version of Reggie, Richmond or Mullin.

Give me 90's MJ, Shaq, Dream, Robinson, Barkley, Malone, Pippen, Drexler, Stockton, and Ewing all day and every day against the 10 best players today... the 90's was a tougher/more physical era, much more Defensive oriented, and a mix of slower half-court ball (mid-late 90's) with faster more run-gun paced (of the early-mid 90's) which meant the players had to adapt to both styles of play AND be versatile/balanced enough to play inside and outside on Offense AND bring it on Defense every night AND be willing to get physically beat up every night... not merely run up and down the court without touching a defender's jersey, chucking 3-pointers 40%-50% of the time, like they do today.

Fact.
"Today's NBA is soft, the Defense is weak, and the rules 'really' favor the Offense."

"Lebron doesn’t guard for a full game and our game plan was to get him to play defense and he left me open all game."
vcsgrizzfan
Mount Rushmore

Post by vcsgrizzfan »

thedangerouskitchen wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 2:13 pm

lol

Embiid... over Shaq??

It always cracks me up when grizz talks about cognitive bias, and then insists that Bill Russell is the GOAT.

Anyway... as noted, if you think LeCommie TODAY is better than any player from the 90's (aside from MJ and Dream), I repeat: You're just plain dumb.

Steph? Yeah, fantastic shooter (probably the GOAT shooter) BUT not much else... basically his era's version of Reggie, Richmond or Mullin.

Give me 90's MJ, Shaq, Dream, Robinson, Barkley, Malone, Pippen, Drexler, Stockton, and Ewing all day and every day against the 10 best players today... the 90's was a tougher/more physical era, much more Defensive oriented, and a mix of slower half-court ball (mid-late 90's) with faster more run-gun paced (of the early-mid 90's) which meant the players had to adapt to both styles of play AND be versatile/balanced enough to play inside and outside on Offense AND bring it on Defense every night AND be willing to get physically beat up every night... not merely run up and down the court without touching a defender's jersey, chucking 3-pointers 40%-50% of the time, like they do today.

Fact.
Who said anything about today you freaking retard? If you understood what cognitive bias means (you aren't too bright), you would understand that there is absolutely no reason whatsoever for me to have a cognitive bias towards Bill Russell. That makes zero sense.

This is a pointless argument (as pretty much all arguments are with you) but there is no chance the best 12 from the 90s beats the best 12 of the last decade. None.
Da Stars.
Tight wad. Penny pincher. Mr. Dollar Theater.

Post by Da Stars. »

LOL. What does this pillow fight have to do with the thread title?
elmouse03
Mount Rushmore

Post by elmouse03 »

Da Stars. wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 3:16 pm LOL. What does this pillow fight have to do with the thread title?
Magic suck and end thread. Now back to grizz vs tdk.
elmouse03
Mount Rushmore

Post by elmouse03 »

Titan18 wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 12:28 pm

lol

Embiid... over Shaq??

Come on. Yes Shaq legacy is in the 00s but he did play 7 seasons in the 90s averaging 27/12/3 and went to the finals. Acting like he wasn’t a prominent member of the 90s and a complete menace is disingenuous. 90s Shaq was absolutely better than Embiid, Booker, and even todays version of Lebron.

Edit: at second thought maybe not Embiid. However point remains that Shaq belongs in a convo about 90s players seeing he played a majority of the decade and was pretty damn good.
Yeah. I remember getting one of those autographed Shaq basketballs when he played for Orlando back in the 90s. He was instantly the 2nd most popular player in the NBA behind Jordan from the day he was drafted.
thedangerouskitchen
G.O.A.T.

vcsgrizzfan wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 3:06 pm

Fact.
Who said anything about today you freaking retard? If you understood what cognitive bias means (you aren't too bright), you would understand that there is absolutely no reason whatsoever for me to have a cognitive bias towards Bill Russell. That makes zero sense.

This is a pointless argument (as pretty much all arguments are with you) but there is no chance the best 12 from the 90s beats the best 12 of the last decade. None.
I did, meatball... in the very first post that YOU replied to.

:roll:

...and of course if we're playing today's rules/style then today's players would win. Duh... use the rules/style of the game from the 90's and today's players would lose 100 out of 100 times.

The 90's weren't the 50's / 60's you know (when your "GOAT" Russell played - lol)... back when a 40%-45% shooter was considered elite, when zero Defense was played, and when 99% of the league couldn't dribble with their off hand.

Today's players wouldn't even know how to execute their Offense if the Defense was allowed to grab, hold and push them around without a foul called. Today's players would get eviscerated in the paint/post by the likes of Shaq, Ewing, Mourning, Robinson, Mutombo, Dream, etc. Today's players aren't versatile enough to face a physical half-court oriented team one night then play a fast-paced, run/gun style team the next night. Today's players would drown in their own river of tears if they had to endure dozens of players like the one (1) guy today (Draymond Green), who would do anything to get inside their heads and screw with them mentally.

Today's game is a free-flowing, zero contact, one-dimensional game RELATIVE to what the NBA was like in the 90's, where you had to be much tougher, physical, adaptable and versatile in order to succeed. Today, all you have to do is make a 3-pointer.

:L

Perhaps your old age is causing you to lose a grip on that fact?

:noidea:

vcsgrizzfan
Mount Rushmore

Post by vcsgrizzfan »

thedangerouskitchen wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2023 12:02 pm

Fact.

...and of course if we're playing today's rules/style then today's players would win. Duh... use the rules/style of the game from the 90's and today's players would lose 100 out of 100 times.

The 90's weren't the 50's / 60's you know (when your "GOAT" Russell played - lol)... back when a 40%-45% shooter was considered elite, when zero Defense was played, and when 99% of the league couldn't dribble with their off hand.

Today's players wouldn't even know how to execute their Offense if the Defense was allowed to grab, hold and push them around without a foul called. Today's players would get eviscerated in the paint/post by the likes of Shaq, Ewing, Mourning, Robinson, Mutombo, Dream, etc. Today's players aren't versatile enough to face a physical half-court oriented team one night then play a fast-paced, run/gun style team the next night. Today's players would drown in their own river of tears if they had to endure dozens of players like the one (1) guy today (Draymond Green), who would do anything to get inside their heads and screw with them mentally.

Today's game is a free-flowing, zero contact, one-dimensional game RELATIVE to what the NBA was like in the 90's, where you had to be much tougher, physical, adaptable and versatile in order to succeed. Today, all you have to do is make a 3-pointer.

You have become the old man yelling "get off my lawn". The 90s aren't better because you want them to be Glory Days. Players today are better at virtually every facet of the game when looked at in aggregate. You'll never accept it because you live with blinders on.
thedangerouskitchen
G.O.A.T.

vcsgrizzfan wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2023 9:44 pm
thedangerouskitchen wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2023 12:02 pm

You have become the old man yelling "get off my lawn". The 90s aren't better because you want them to be Glory Days. Players today are better at virtually every facet of the game when looked at in aggregate. You'll never accept it because you live with blinders on.
:lol: at meatball grizz changing the goal posts now... first he highlights just a handful of players, now he's talking about the league as a whole.

Fact is there is no possible way for you to substantiate with substance and fact your "opinion" that today's players are better in "virtually every facet" BECAUSE you're full of shit.

Today's players (on average) have better handles and they shoot the 3 ball better overall. That's it, that's all. Again... this isn't your era we're talking about (ie; the 50's/60's).