What are the greatest military battles we know of?

Talk about anything here.
vcsgrizzfan
Mount Rushmore

Re: What are the greatest military battles we know of?

Post by vcsgrizzfan »

LeBronMonsterDunk wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 10:00 pm
vcsgrizzfan wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 9:50 pm
LeBronMonsterDunk wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 9:47 pm

Oh you were just pretending to be retarded artman?

Hah, you fooled us! Classic
I pegged you EXACTLY. And you came out frothing at the mouth making dumb claims about Iraq's military capability and being absurdly defensive like you always are.

Montana awaits. Hugs.
Between 1980 and the summer of 1990 Saddam boosted the number of troops in the Iraqi military from 180,000 to 900,000, creating the fourth-largest army in the world.
At least you were right about one thing ITT I guess:
vcsgrizzfan wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 6:39 pm I just don't have the level of expertise required.
You claimed Iraq had the 4th STRONGEST MILITARY in the world. Dude. Shut up. You were angry and rattled and it was obvious as sin even through a keyboard. I don't care how many soldiers were theoretically in that army, they sure as shit weren't the 4th strongest military in the world. They weren't even the strongest military in the middle east, as the Isarelis would have eaten them for lunch and spit them out three times before breakfast dude. You maybe need to borrow a little of Artie's dank weed and chillax my good man.
Shill Jackson
Mount Rushmore

Post by Shill Jackson »

PhutureDynasty wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 10:09 pm
Sudanese Sensation wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 9:53 pm
PhutureDynasty wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 9:46 pm
I actually may do so. History has always been a subject I enjoyed but wasn't educated enough on. Especially stuff unrelated to the US.

Are you a history buff? Simply curious.
I like to read. The Arab-Israeli wars are interesting. After Syria and Egypt made initial gains in the Yom Kippur War (1973) the Israelis rallied and when a ceasefire was announced the Israelis were fifty miles from Damascus and Cairo. Egypt and Syria were client states of the Soviet Union and when they threatened to intervene President Nixon put the U.S. on nuclear alert.
Wow. That's crazy. I respect your hustle.

I've personally been into audiobooks lately. I'm still listening to The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich because WW2 will always be interesting. I've also been researching about wars before the invention of guns. The VERY long era of horses, swords, shields, bows, and arrows for warfare is crazy to me.

I was having this conversation with a buddy about how guns rapidly expanded the pace of military superiority.

Take two great armies of similar sizes from the dark ages separated by say 50 years and tell them to fight and the battle will likely be relatively even in terms of weaponry and likely casualties.

Take the US military in 1970 and tell them to fight the current day US military and the 1970s group gets wiped clean. Current day military faces small casualties at most.

Point is, technology now makes every year of military development crucial. The invention of gunpowder made it exponential.
Dan Carlin has an series of episodes about WWI (Blueprint for Armageddon) where he talks about at the start there were still guys with horses and swords

As far as history - Carlin is great. Awesome podcast. He tends to cover pre WWII, although his series on the Germans invading Russia (Ghosts of the Ostfront) is amazing.
For fiction books, Bernard Cornwell does a great job of making history real.

I find Central Asian history interesting, because we are taught so little of it in the West, and so much of it was pivotal
"Educated people make the world a better place, they mercilessly attack misery and cruelty, and eventually they win."
--Henry Rollins

**zombiesonics is a feckless cunt!**
TheSaboteur
Hall of Famer

Post by TheSaboteur »

LOL at Artman and LMD lying on a couch and getting obliterated on dank weed together.
Image Vaccines Image

Cannot redeclare utf8_encode
LeBronMonsterDunk
Clean-Up Crew

Post by LeBronMonsterDunk »

Yikes, Flabby is extremely irate this morning over being humiliated and exposed.

Not good.
You never liked me, probably don't like me still, but a ***** liking me aint never paid my bills
gaskill15
You go, we go... forever

Post by gaskill15 »

I’ve tried audiobooks for long car rides but I just can’t keep myself focused for more than 30 seconds in the car. Me mind wanders. :x
LeBronMonsterDunk
Clean-Up Crew

Flabby actually thought 1980s - early 90s Israel was capable of projecting power into Iraq/Kuwait? :L

:mjlaugh:

The US didn't even start supplying the IDF with modern equipment until the mid 90s. Until then their armor was completely inferior to Iraq's, their Air Force was outdated, and they had effectively zero projection capabilities, especially not across Syria into Iraq.

Flabby went from:
vcsgrizzfan wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 6:39 pm I just don't have the level of expertise required.
To:
vcsgrizzfan wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 10:20 am I don't care how many soldiers were theoretically in that army, they sure as shit weren't the 4th strongest military in the world. They weren't even the strongest military in the middle east, as the Isarelis would have eaten them for lunch and spit them out three times before breakfast dude.
In the span of ~16 hours.

Next he'll proclaim that Israel WASN'T deathly afraid of Iraq in the 80s/90s and didn't completely flip their military doctrine of aggression first because they knew Iraq was superior.

Don't worry guys, the world didn't really need a massive NATO coalition and immense US power projection to run Saddam out of Kuwait, Israel could have easily handled it by themselves.

:haha2:
You never liked me, probably don't like me still, but a ***** liking me aint never paid my bills
PhutureDynasty
Mount Rushmore

Post by PhutureDynasty »

Shill Jackson wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 10:35 am
PhutureDynasty wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 10:09 pm
Sudanese Sensation wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 9:53 pm

I like to read. The Arab-Israeli wars are interesting. After Syria and Egypt made initial gains in the Yom Kippur War (1973) the Israelis rallied and when a ceasefire was announced the Israelis were fifty miles from Damascus and Cairo. Egypt and Syria were client states of the Soviet Union and when they threatened to intervene President Nixon put the U.S. on nuclear alert.
Wow. That's crazy. I respect your hustle.

I've personally been into audiobooks lately. I'm still listening to The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich because WW2 will always be interesting. I've also been researching about wars before the invention of guns. The VERY long era of horses, swords, shields, bows, and arrows for warfare is crazy to me.

I was having this conversation with a buddy about how guns rapidly expanded the pace of military superiority.

Take two great armies of similar sizes from the dark ages separated by say 50 years and tell them to fight and the battle will likely be relatively even in terms of weaponry and likely casualties.

Take the US military in 1970 and tell them to fight the current day US military and the 1970s group gets wiped clean. Current day military faces small casualties at most.

Point is, technology now makes every year of military development crucial. The invention of gunpowder made it exponential.
Dan Carlin has an series of episodes about WWI (Blueprint for Armageddon) where he talks about at the start there were still guys with horses and swords

As far as history - Carlin is great. Awesome podcast. He tends to cover pre WWII, although his series on the Germans invading Russia (Ghosts of the Ostfront) is amazing.
For fiction books, Bernard Cornwell does a great job of making history real.

I find Central Asian history interesting, because we are taught so little of it in the West, and so much of it was pivotal
Yea Carlin is great.

The first episode of Blueprint for Armageddon might be my favorite podcast (if you want to call it that; more of a history audiobook) of all time. The way he talks about how it was almost fate that lead to the death of Ferdinand from Princip and how that event was the catalyst for not only WW1 but also the following World War. Fascinating stuff.
Bush4Ever.
All-Time Great

Post by Bush4Ever. »

My (extremely non-expertise) impression of Iraq's military in that era was that it was like a college football team from a mid-major conference that went 11-1 or 12-0 and then got waxed hard by LSU/Alabama/Georgia/Clemson/USC type teams in the bowl game, 49-3 style.
LeBronMonsterDunk
Clean-Up Crew

Bush4Ever. wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 12:06 pm My (extremely non-expertise) impression of Iraq's military in that era was that it was like a college football team from a mid-major conference that went 11-1 or 12-0 and then got waxed hard by LSU/Alabama/Georgia/Clemson/USC type teams in the bowl game, 49-3 style.
That's a pretty good analogy actually, and it showed the gulf between the 4th strongest military and a mostly US led NATO force.

It's widely documented that Desert Storm was a wake up call for Russia and China. Prior to the war both those countries assumed Iraq's military strength was sufficient to at least hold their own against the US in a defensive scenario.

When they saw just how strong the US had become and how large its power projection capabilities were, they realized they had to modernize their armies.

The US started the air campaign (and the war itself) by launching 7 B52 Bombers from LOUISIANA. This bombing run was 14,000 miles, and 35 hours of non-stop flight before landing back in Louisiana. The US didn't need to do this, but did so anyway as a show of its incredible reach.

NATO had 2,800+ aircraft in the air at once over Iraq, and ran an average of 2,500 bombing sorties a day over a 5 week period.
Last edited by LeBronMonsterDunk on Thu Aug 11, 2022 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
elartman1973
El Padrino

Post by elartman1973 »

I've never been in a military battle.
Lmd considers January 6 a battle

Smh
"I'm drivin Caddy, you fixin a FORD"

Bush4Ever.
All-Time Great

Post by Bush4Ever. »

elartman1973 wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 12:19 pm I've never been in a military battle.
Didn't the US drop you over Nagasaki in WW2?
Titan18
In Theo we trust

Post by Titan18 »

elartman1973 wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 12:19 pm I've never been in a military battle.

Smh
This thread is way over your head. Just see yourself out.

Stick to your 80s romance movies and CNN programming.
elartman1973
El Padrino

Post by elartman1973 »

Titan18 wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 12:22 pm

Smh

100% wrong.
I've studies this exact topic deeply since I was a little kid..it's way over your dumb assuming head though as proven.
And you thinking I watch 80s movies often and tune in to cnn only proves I'm right about you

AlaskaHawks
Mount Rushmore

Post by AlaskaHawks »

PhutureDynasty wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 9:16 pm
AlaskaHawks wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 7:01 pm Me and my boys vs the local swat team in paintball in 2002. We waxed em.
Is that true? Lol.

Speedball?
My buddy's dad was SWAT and we played a lot of paintball in those days. We did some scenarios like capture the flag and last man standing, etc.

They were frustrated that paintball aren't as accurate as bullets and we played that course every weekend so we had the upper hand. It was a blast though.

His dad took us shooting a lot as kids, probably the gun I enjoyed the most was an MP5.

Good times.
"The idea is not to block every shot. The idea is to make your opponent believe you might block every shot."
Bill Russell

"I'm just 'bout that action, boss"
L.O.B. = Love our Brothers.
LeBronMonsterDunk
Clean-Up Crew

AlaskaHawks wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 12:33 pm
AlaskaHawks wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 7:01 pm Me and my boys vs the local swat team in paintball in 2002. We waxed em.
Is that true? Lol.

Speedball?
My buddy's dad was SWAT and we played a lot of paintball in those days. We did some scenarios like capture the flag and last man standing, etc.

They were frustrated that paintball aren't as accurate as bullets and we played that course every weekend so we had the upper hand. It was a blast though.

His dad took us shooting a lot as kids, probably the gun I enjoyed the most was an MP5.

Good times.
I was a in competitive 3v3 speedball team in the early 2000s as a kid. I think the tournament league is still ran in Charlotte now, but I haven't played in forever. It was an expensive hobby then as electronic markers were just starting to become mainstream.
AlaskaHawks
Mount Rushmore

Post by AlaskaHawks »

LeBronMonsterDunk wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 12:38 pm
AlaskaHawks wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 12:33 pm
Is that true? Lol.

Speedball?

Good times.
I was a in competitive 3v3 speedball team in the early 2000s as a kid. I think the tournament league is still ran in Charlotte now, but I haven't played in forever. It was an expensive hobby then as electronic markers were just starting to become mainstream.
When we moved a few months ago I came across my markers and all my gear, makes me miss it. But it's been years since I played, never was in a league like you though my parents wouldn't spring for it lol.
"The idea is not to block every shot. The idea is to make your opponent believe you might block every shot."
Bill Russell

"I'm just 'bout that action, boss"
L.O.B. = Love our Brothers.
Titan18
In Theo we trust

Post by Titan18 »

elartman1973 wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 12:25 pm

Smh

100% wrong.
I've studies this exact topic deeply since I was a little kid..it's way over your dumb assuming head though as proven.
And you thinking I watch 80s movies often and tune in to cnn only proves I'm right about you
Over your head
elartman1973
El Padrino

Post by elartman1973 »

Titan18 wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 1:09 pm

100% wrong.
Over your head
Detection noted.

Titan18
In Theo we trust

Post by Titan18 »

elartman1973 wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 1:10 pm
Titan18 wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 1:09 pm

100% wrong.
Over your head
Detection noted.
Your tits are noted.
vcsgrizzfan
Mount Rushmore

Post by vcsgrizzfan »

LeBronMonsterDunk wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 11:30 am Flabby actually thought 1980s - early 90s Israel was capable of projecting power into Iraq/Kuwait? :L

:mjlaugh:

The US didn't even start supplying the IDF with modern equipment until the mid 90s. Until then their armor was completely inferior to Iraq's, their Air Force was outdated, and they had effectively zero projection capabilities, especially not across Syria into Iraq.

Flabby went from:
To:
vcsgrizzfan wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 10:20 am I don't care how many soldiers were theoretically in that army, they sure as shit weren't the 4th strongest military in the world. They weren't even the strongest military in the middle east, as the Isarelis would have eaten them for lunch and spit them out three times before breakfast dude.
In the span of ~16 hours.

Next he'll proclaim that Israel WASN'T deathly afraid of Iraq in the 80s/90s and didn't completely flip their military doctrine of aggression first because they knew Iraq was superior.

Don't worry guys, the world didn't really need a massive NATO coalition and immense US power projection to run Saddam out of Kuwait, Israel could have easily handled it by themselves.

:haha2:
You are so easy to trigger. I didn't expect to get this much amusement from a simple barb. A barb by the way, that is exactly on point.

Israel had already proven its military mettle multiple times and and fought wars on 3 or 4 fronts and waxed everybody. They have made their military the first priority since the beginning of their existence post world war 2. If Saddam had tried to invade Israel, he would have gotten his ass handed to him. The world didn't need a massive NATO coalition (that was pure politics) and it was proven very quickly that the emperor had no clothes. Kuwait essentially had no military and it was easy pickings. Israel would have been a different kettle of fish.

Why don't you go on some forums that discuss military capabilities and make the claim that Iraq had the 4th STRONGEST MILITARY on earth at the time of that war and see the reaction you get and report back! There can't be that many listings in Montana that all your time is taken up looking to find a place to live away from civilization.