Please advise - New Orleans edition

Talk about anything here.
Kingcarl24
G.O.A.T.

Please advise - New Orleans edition

Post by Kingcarl24 »

Alright folks, I need some help. I'm going to New Orleans for my first time this Sunday and I need to know where to go. I'll be staying in the French Quarters and I won't have a car but I can use Uber.

Where do I eat? What do I see? I have a conference during the days but the nights are all open.

A few years ago, I went to Chicago and you guys were awesome with your tips and things to do. Hoping to do the same with New Orleans.
Havlicekstealsit
G.O.A.T.

Re: Please advise - New Orleans edition

Post by Havlicekstealsit »

Mulate's
Dooky Chase
Jimmy J's for breakfast
Robceltsfan
Pick 'Em League Champion

Post by Robceltsfan »

You're staying IN the Quarter? Are your kids going? How many days?
Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are dumber than that.

~George Carlin~
Kingcarl24
G.O.A.T.

Post by Kingcarl24 »

Robceltsfan wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 12:44 pm You're staying IN the Quarter? Are your kids going? How many days?
I'm going alone and I'm staying like a block from Bourbon Street. I'm right there. I'm there for 3 days.

I don't drink but I love good food and good music.
Robceltsfan
Pick 'Em League Champion

Post by Robceltsfan »

Kingcarl24 wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 12:47 pm
Robceltsfan wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 12:44 pm You're staying IN the Quarter? Are your kids going? How many days?
I'm going alone and I'm staying like a block from Bourbon Street. I'm right there. I'm there for 3 days.

Music is everywhere....just follow your ears.

If you're looking to drop some money on a great meal, I HIGHLY SUGGEST spending an evening at Dickie Brennan's Steakhouse right in the Quarter. It's probably my favorite restaurant in the country. Get the bananas foster for dessert.

The Gumbo Shop, also in the Quarter, is a solid place if you're looking for some authentic Creole dining.

Just outside the Quarter, barely into downtown, there's a good breakfast/brunch spot called The Ruby Slipper.

If you're into coffee or beignets, head down to Cafe Du Monde at the Riverwalk. They're a local chain....but it's good stuff.

If you like Oysters....Felix's and Acme are both in the Quarter across the street from each other.
Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are dumber than that.

~George Carlin~
AlaskaHawks
Mount Rushmore

Post by AlaskaHawks »

File for a parade permit, hire a marching band to follow you, and go on your own parade.
"The idea is not to block every shot. The idea is to make your opponent believe you might block every shot."
Bill Russell

"I'm just 'bout that action, boss"
L.O.B. = Love our Brothers.
Robceltsfan
Pick 'Em League Champion

Post by Robceltsfan »

AlaskaHawks wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 1:23 pm File for a parade permit, hire a marching band to follow you, and go on your own parade.
And throw beads.

:banderas:

~George Carlin~
PhutureDynasty
Mount Rushmore

Post by PhutureDynasty »

You should schedule a meeting with the Pelicans and see what they'd trade for Rudy and Mitchell while you're down there.

Might be a solid middle-man type deal that gets you some extra cash too.
:trump:
Kingcarl24
G.O.A.T.

Post by Kingcarl24 »

Anything other than food that I should do? Thinking of doing a haunted tour.
Robceltsfan
Pick 'Em League Champion

Post by Robceltsfan »

Kingcarl24 wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 3:35 pm Anything other than food that I should do? Thinking of doing a haunted tour.
WWII museum is there.

I don't do much tourist stuff when I'm there....it's always on business. Food and drink is the focus. :lol:

~George Carlin~
americaninfidel
All-Time Great

Post by americaninfidel »

I suspect your time in Puerto Rico will serve you well on this trip. Consider NO to be like PR--basically a 3rd world country. Keep your valuables close and your eyes open and don't talk to any strangers, who will be trying to scam and/or rob you.
Fear is the mind killer. We are not afraid.
Robceltsfan
Pick 'Em League Champion

Post by Robceltsfan »

americaninfidel wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 4:15 pm I suspect your time in Puerto Rico will serve you well on this trip. Consider NO to be like PR--basically a 3rd world country. Keep your valuables close and your eyes open and don't talk to any strangers, who will be trying to scam and/or rob you.
Meh....I'm a fan on New Orleans. Some of the friendliest people you can meet.

Unless Karl is out in the Quarter after dark, he doesn't have much to worry about.

~George Carlin~
lettherebehouse
Clean-Up Crew

Post by lettherebehouse »

Marie Laveau’s House of Voodoo
Kingcarl24
G.O.A.T.

Post by Kingcarl24 »

Robceltsfan wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 4:17 pm
americaninfidel wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 4:15 pm I suspect your time in Puerto Rico will serve you well on this trip. Consider NO to be like PR--basically a 3rd world country. Keep your valuables close and your eyes open and don't talk to any strangers, who will be trying to scam and/or rob you.
Meh....I'm a fan on New Orleans. Some of the friendliest people you can meet.

Unless Karl is out in the Quarter after dark, he doesn't have much to worry about.
I mean like any major city though right?

I do benefit from being a 6'4", 240lb man. That's my big man privilege. I know that doesn't mean I can be careless but I've found that people who are in to robbing others seem to choose someone not as big when choosing who.
AlaskaHawks
Mount Rushmore

Post by AlaskaHawks »

Looks like there's tons of guided tours/mystery tours you can take. It would be fun.

Robs food recs sounds good too.
"The idea is not to block every shot. The idea is to make your opponent believe you might block every shot."
Bill Russell

"I'm just 'bout that action, boss"
L.O.B. = Love our Brothers.
Havlicekstealsit
G.O.A.T.

Post by Havlicekstealsit »

AlaskaHawks wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 1:23 pm File for a parade permit, hire a marching band to follow you, and go on your own parade.
Lol forgot you could do that. Such a fun city*

*when it's not summer/hurricane season
ripper76
Accounts will be settled.

Post by ripper76 »

This NO city council member has a great thread on current activities available in the city.

Shill Jackson
Mount Rushmore

Post by Shill Jackson »

Robceltsfan wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 12:58 pm

If you're looking to drop some money on a great meal, I HIGHLY SUGGEST spending an evening at Dickie Brennan's Steakhouse right in the Quarter. It's probably my favorite restaurant in the country. Get the bananas foster for dessert.

The Gumbo Shop, also in the Quarter, is a solid place if you're looking for some authentic Creole dining.

Just outside the Quarter, barely into downtown, there's a good breakfast/brunch spot called The Ruby Slipper.

If you're into coffee or beignets, head down to Cafe Du Monde at the Riverwalk. They're a local chain....but it's good stuff.

If you like Oysters....Felix's and Acme are both in the Quarter across the street from each other.
Even though he has become kind of a parody, my sister said Emerile Lagasse’s was easily one of the best meals she ever had.
and I going to guess that Carl isn’t an oyster guy, though I could be mistaken.
"Educated people make the world a better place, they mercilessly attack misery and cruelty, and eventually they win."
--Henry Rollins

**zombiesonics is a feckless cunt!**
Kingcarl24
G.O.A.T.

Post by Kingcarl24 »

Shill Jackson wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 11:38 am
Robceltsfan wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 12:58 pm

Even though he has become kind of a parody, my sister said Emerile Lagasse’s was easily one of the best meals she ever had.
and I going to guess that Carl isn’t an oyster guy, though I could be mistaken.
The worst food poisoning I've ever had was after eating oysters. Not a fan since.
Alex_Murphy
Clean-Up Crew

Post by Alex_Murphy »

Oysters are fucking disgusting and pointless... Clams are cool if cooked right.

Enjoy your time there Carl...