Facts don’t care about your feelings

Talk about anything here.
Bush4Ever.
All-Time Great

Re: Facts don’t care about your feelings

Post by Bush4Ever. »

Sudanese Sensation wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:33 pm Have you ever been in a formal debate?
As an adult, no oral debates of the style you probably mean (Lincoln-Douglas style, or at least LD-"flavored").

I've done a few written debates (more point-counterpoint style) in academic/trade journals before.

I think as a general matter, oral debates aren't the best vehicle for truth because debating is an actual skill in and of itself, and sometimes debating skill can overshadow content.

It's sort of like the old quote about the coach Bear Bryant (IIRC)....something like "he can take his and beat yours and then take yours and beat his"....a good debater can do that, especially on squishier topics.

Written debates are much better for truth-seeking, IMO.
vcsgrizzfan
Mount Rushmore

Post by vcsgrizzfan »

Bush4Ever. wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:13 pm
Sudanese Sensation wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:33 pm Have you ever been in a formal debate?
As an adult, no oral debates of the style you probably mean.

I've done a few written debates (not formal, LD-styled debates but more point-counterpoint style) in academic/trade journals before.

I think as a general matter, oral debates aren't the best vehicle for truth because debating is an actual skill in and of itself, and sometimes debating skill can overshadow content.

It's sort of like the old quote about the coach Bear Bryant (IIRC)....something like "he can take his and beat yours and then take yours and beat his"....a good debater can do that, especially on squishier topics.

I believe that was a Bum Phillips quote actually, but I'm not looking it up.
Sudanese Sensation
Legend

Post by Sudanese Sensation »

vcsgrizzfan wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:15 pm
Bush4Ever. wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:13 pm
As an adult, no oral debates of the style you probably mean.

I've done a few written debates (not formal, LD-styled debates but more point-counterpoint style) in academic/trade journals before.

I believe that was a Bum Phillips quote actually, but I'm not looking it up.
It was Bum and he was talking about Don Shula.
Bush4Ever.
All-Time Great

Post by Bush4Ever. »

You made me do some research....apparently he said it about both Shula and Bear Bryant.

He was a realist who knew when someone could outcoach him. He once said of Bear Bryant, later repeating it in reference to Don Shula, "He can take his'n and beat your'n and take your'n and beat his'n."

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/sports ... 908937.php
Uncontroversial
All-Time Great

Post by Uncontroversial »

zombiesonics wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:13 pm
Sudanese Sensation wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 5:12 pm
zombiesonics wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 5:07 pm

Jews should never be trusted as leadership of any movement. Matter of fact, they shouldn’t be trusted at all.
Do you trust the Jewish posters on this board?
No
I’m trustworthy. I’ll prove it. PayPal me $100 and I’ll send you back $150
Shut your bitch mouth, Trumpie loser
zombiesonics
Mount Rushmore

Post by zombiesonics »