Jake Paul to Kamara Usman: “Challenge Accepted”

Talk about anything here.
Wishbone
Fantasy BBall Champ

Re: Jake Paul to Kamara Usman: “Challenge Accepted”

Post by Wishbone »

LNS wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 12:52 pm The Paul bros are just having fun and cashing checks. I don’t understand why some people are getting their panties in a twist over it.

I’ve seen fans on boxing forums talking about how it’s “bad for the sport”... but how, exactly? It’s literally called PRIZE FIGHTING, not legacy fighting. The Paul bros aren’t trying to become all time greats, they’re just stirring up shit and making their money. Look at a guy like Terence Crawford.... all time great talent, but can’t land a huge fight because he’s hard to promote. Has a shitty personality, is unfunny, lame, etc. If you want to make money as a boxer then you have to get the fans to love you or hate you, which is what the Paul bros are doing.

And also... why should they hurt their potential earnings by fighting unknown up-and-comers? What’s the point of having a life and death battle against Joe Blow from Bumfuck, MO? They fight guys that are famous or semi-famous that are in good (or at least decent) shape that are looking to make a quick buck. Most of the people crying about the Paul bros would 100% do what they’re doing if they had the following and personality to pull it off, but they don’t.

Well I think it is much worse for the UFC personally. It exposes the fact that UFC fighters really are NOT great strikers. At least with the hands, many MMA fans are holding on to the Muay Thai kicks that is also in MMA as their leverage. For a moment MMA sorta developed this hype as the real "baddest men on the planet." Having a novice boxer come in and out class UFC level fighters is a real dark spot, having the UFC fighters make career paydays makes it look even worse. UFC looks like the G league. The truth is that UFC fighters are mostly wrestlers. Submission type fighters, grapplers would dominate the sport as they once did, but the public got bored of watching those type of long drawn out technical ground matches. It was hard to understand and repetitive. So Dana White and the UFC stopped even signing a lot of those types of fighters. They began encouraging fighters to stand and strike more. Just to appeal more to the public. People don't want to watch Royce Gracie style fights.

So what I am saying here is that MMA being the best fighters is a myth. They aren't the best grapplers, they aren't the best strikers. Boxing and Kickboxing would beat them at that. They are just a marketing gimmick and Dana White doesn't really pay them. The fighters themselves are unaware mostly. Not to say that none of them are skilled fighters by any means. It's a show product and they are a commodity.

As for boxing think there is a sense that Jake Paul's camp didn't really pay their dues the proper way. He didn't earn his respect the old fashioned way and basically has taken a short cut straight to the top. I think your average intelligent male understand that Jake Paul is not going to be beating any elite level boxer. Everyone understand hopefully that even a 55 year old Mike Tyson would put Jake Paul to sleep.

To some extent he might further expose boxings shadows. I think most people are aware of boxings tricks by now though and the damage was done long ago in that regard.
Macrotus
Hall of Famer

Post by Macrotus »

Let's call it what it is...they are a professional trolls...and celebrity boxers...I wouldn't be surprised if the matches were all staged.
LNS
Boxing Knowledge Champ

Post by LNS »

Macrotus wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:42 pm Let's call it what it is...they are a professional trolls...and celebrity boxers...I wouldn't be surprised if the matches were all staged.
Obviously they’re trolls/heels. The boxing matches seem legit though, and make no mistake they’re “pro boxers” in the sense that they’re getting paid to fight. Any slob that can pass a physical can technically get a boxing license.
LNS
Boxing Knowledge Champ

Post by LNS »

Wishbone wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:36 pm
LNS wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 12:52 pm The Paul bros are just having fun and cashing checks. I don’t understand why some people are getting their panties in a twist over it.

I’ve seen fans on boxing forums talking about how it’s “bad for the sport”... but how, exactly? It’s literally called PRIZE FIGHTING, not legacy fighting. The Paul bros aren’t trying to become all time greats, they’re just stirring up shit and making their money. Look at a guy like Terence Crawford.... all time great talent, but can’t land a huge fight because he’s hard to promote. Has a shitty personality, is unfunny, lame, etc. If you want to make money as a boxer then you have to get the fans to love you or hate you, which is what the Paul bros are doing.

And also... why should they hurt their potential earnings by fighting unknown up-and-comers? What’s the point of having a life and death battle against Joe Blow from Bumfuck, MO? They fight guys that are famous or semi-famous that are in good (or at least decent) shape that are looking to make a quick buck. Most of the people crying about the Paul bros would 100% do what they’re doing if they had the following and personality to pull it off, but they don’t.

Well I think it is much worse for the UFC personally. It exposes the fact that UFC fighters really are NOT great strikers. At least with the hands, many MMA fans are holding on to the Muay Thai kicks that is also in MMA as their leverage. For a moment MMA sorta developed this hype as the real "baddest men on the planet." Having a novice boxer come in and out class UFC level fighters is a real dark spot, having the UFC fighters make career paydays makes it look even worse. UFC looks like the G league. The truth is that UFC fighters are mostly wrestlers. Submission type fighters, grapplers would dominate the sport as they once did, but the public got bored of watching those type of long drawn out technical ground matches. It was hard to understand and repetitive. So Dana White and the UFC stopped even signing a lot of those types of fighters. They began encouraging fighters to stand and strike more. Just to appeal more to the public. People don't want to watch Royce Gracie style fights.

So what I am saying here is that MMA being the best fighters is a myth. They aren't the best grapplers, they aren't the best strikers. Boxing and Kickboxing would beat them at that. They are just a marketing gimmick and Dana White doesn't really pay them. The fighters themselves are unaware mostly. Not to say that none of them are skilled fighters by any means. It's a show product and they are a commodity.

As for boxing think there is a sense that Jake Paul's camp didn't really pay their dues the proper way. He didn't earn his respect the old fashioned way and basically has taken a short cut straight to the top. I think your average intelligent male understand that Jake Paul is not going to be beating any elite level boxer. Everyone understand hopefully that even a 55 year old Mike Tyson would put Jake Paul to sleep.

To some extent he might further expose boxings shadows. I think most people are aware of boxings tricks by now though and the damage was done long ago in that regard.
I kinda feel like you’re selling UFC fighters a tad short here lol
Wishbone
Fantasy BBall Champ

Post by Wishbone »

LNS wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:52 pm
Wishbone wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:36 pm

I kinda feel like you’re selling UFC fighters a tad short here lol
I know people will take it that way, but I really don't mean to. The reason I never did it is because it's too hard. You would have had to almost started at a very young age with wrestling or some form of grappling. Those guys are amazing and it is a great sport. Very technical and difficult, takes years to master some of the things a Ben Askren has mastered. Few could ever attain his mastery.

Stylistically the UFC prefers a certain type of fighter and they tend to sign those people, put them on cards and award them more points in decisions. These guys are elite fighters of course, the best in the world at what they do. It is just so warped from the days when Jiu-Jitsu took MMA by storm.

They've lost some of that mythos as being the "Best fighters in the world."
Macrotus
Hall of Famer

Post by Macrotus »

LNS wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:51 pm
Macrotus wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:42 pm Let's call it what it is...they are a professional trolls...and celebrity boxers...I wouldn't be surprised if the matches were all staged.
Obviously they’re trolls/heels. The boxing matches seem legit though, and make no mistake they’re “pro boxers” in the sense that they’re getting paid to fight. Any slob that can pass a physical can technically get a boxing license.
they are getting paid well because of their celebrity status...not because they are a good boxers. Tyson Furry wants Jake to fight his little brother...he turned it down because he is not a well known boxer... :roll:
LNS
Boxing Knowledge Champ

Post by LNS »

Macrotus wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 4:18 pm
they are getting paid well because of their celebrity status...not because they are a good boxers. Tyson Furry wants Jake to fight his little brother...he turned it down because he is not a well known boxer... :roll:
I know they’re getting paid because of their “celebrity status” you slobbering retard. :laugh3:

Terence Crawford might be the best P4P fighter and he can’t make huge bucks. Usyk is easily top 5 P4P and can’t make the big money fights happen. Dmitry Bivol is one of my favorite boxers and you probably have no clue who he even is... and he’s making chump change compared to the Paul bros.

Point being: most fighters that make bank are marketable in some capacity. Very rarely are fighters getting paid top dollar because they’re “good boxers”.
Macrotus
Hall of Famer

Post by Macrotus »

LNS wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 7:02 pm

I know they’re getting paid because of their “celebrity status” you slobbering retard. :laugh3:

Terence Crawford might be the best P4P fighter and he can’t make huge bucks. Usyk is easily top 5 P4P and can’t make the big money fights happen. Dmitry Bivol is one of my favorite boxers and you probably have no clue who he even is... and he’s making chump change compared to the Paul bros.

Point being: most fighters that make bank are marketable in some capacity. Very rarely are fighters getting paid top dollar because they’re “good boxers”.
you could have just kept your point short and simple....and said "yeah, I agreed with you"...instead of typing a long version of something I just stated.
:yawning:
Shill Jackson
Mount Rushmore

Post by Shill Jackson »

PhutureDynasty wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:03 pm
LNS wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 7:44 pm
PhutureDynasty wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 7:22 pm
Early avatar bet then assuming it happens? 2 weeks and same stipulations?
Absolutely...

:dirk:
Deal

To the welchers - this is how gentleman do it.
:conanclap:

ps - how many of you simps will pay for it?
"Educated people make the world a better place, they mercilessly attack misery and cruelty, and eventually they win."
--Henry Rollins

**zombiesonics is a feckless cunt!**
LNS
Boxing Knowledge Champ

Post by LNS »

Macrotus wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 8:08 pm

you could have just kept your point short and simple....and said "yeah, I agreed with you"...instead of typing a long version of something I just stated.
I’ve never stated anything to the contrary. But we have these miscommunications because english isn’t your first language.
Alex_Murphy
Clean-Up Crew

Post by Alex_Murphy »

Macrotus wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 8:08 pm

You have to excuse him ... He needs to come off here as the board's enlightened and most knowledgeable fighting expert. It's his side schtick. Don't belittle him or his knowledge of fighting you mind offend him and he will disappear from the board for 6 months ... He's a tough guy :laugh3: