So we talked seriously about apples... now we talk serious about...

Talk about anything here.
AbeVigodaLive
Clean-Up Crew

So we talked seriously about apples... now we talk serious about...

Post by AbeVigodaLive »

The Gal Pal's parents have Covid. Her dad has Type 1 diabetes.

I know the virus is a ruse. A hoax. A farce. A Democratic ploy to win the election. And basically just a bad strain of the flu.

All the same... a bad case of a bad flu for people with certain ailments still sucks. I guess I'll learn secondhand what it's like to have it... all else being equal, I'd prefer not to get it.
Alex_Murphy
Clean-Up Crew

Re: So we talked seriously about apples... now we talk serious about...

Post by Alex_Murphy »

somehow, and for some reason, I just dont believe you.
LNS
Boxing Knowledge Champ

Post by LNS »

It’s not a “hoax” obviously, but it’s not worth closing down the economy over IMO. My grandma really did have it and beat it (she’s also diabetic and has dementia). Although I’ll admit she wasn’t in a happy place for a while.

Hopefully your lady’s folks make a full recovery. :suds:
vcsgrizzfan
Mount Rushmore

Post by vcsgrizzfan »

LNS wrote:It’s not a “hoax” obviously, but it’s not worth closing down the economy over IMO. My grandma really did have it and beat it (she’s also diabetic and has dementia). Although I’ll admit she wasn’t in a happy place for a while.

I'd give this post two likes if it was possible. Especially as we've gotten more adept at dealing with COVID, further lockdowns cause more harm than good in the long run. Precautions yes to slow the spread but Jesus Christ, we need to keep on living too!!
vcsgrizzfan
Mount Rushmore

Post by vcsgrizzfan »

There is a good friend of my ex-wife's who really does believe the whole thing is a complete hoax. Like - a COMPLETE hoax. I sometimes wonder how people like that can even tie their shoes.
AbeVigodaLive
Clean-Up Crew

Post by AbeVigodaLive »

vcsgrizzfan wrote:
LNS wrote:It’s not a “hoax” obviously, but it’s not worth closing down the economy over IMO. My grandma really did have it and beat it (she’s also diabetic and has dementia). Although I’ll admit she wasn’t in a happy place for a while.

I'd give this post two likes if it was possible. Especially as we've gotten more adept at dealing with COVID, further lockdowns cause more harm than good in the long run. Precautions yes to slow the spread but Jesus Christ, we need to keep on living too!!

I think we've been getting closer. Obviously, certain things like the travel industry is a shell of itself.

But other things are back. Pro sports. Heck, even youth sports. I've eaten at many restaurants, both inside and out. The rub is whether we take that dreaded step back. Minnesota is entering its winter hide-inside doldrums... while COVID cases are escalating significantly. MN is going back to full distance learning in most school districts.

And without outside eating... restaurants are gonna be hit hard by the drop in business. Again. And then when staff inevitably get sick.. with all those people in close quarters... they'll have to close.

I fully realize we need to be plugging forward. In fact, I'm pretty sure I've been financially affected by COVID regulations more than most posters here. The fine line between precaution and rampant sickness will need to be figured out soon. But I don't have the answer... sure wish I did though.
vcsgrizzfan
Mount Rushmore

Post by vcsgrizzfan »

AbeVigodaLive wrote:
vcsgrizzfan wrote:

I think we've been getting closer. Obviously, certain things like the travel industry is a shell of itself.

But other things are back. Pro sports. Heck, even youth sports. I've eaten at many restaurants, both inside and out. The rub is whether we take that dreaded step back. Minnesota is entering its winter hide-inside doldrums... while COVID cases are escalating significantly. MN is going back to full distance learning in most school districts.

And without outside eating... restaurants are gonna be hit hard by the drop in business. Again. And then when staff inevitably get sick.. with all those people in close quarters... they'll have to close.

I fully realize we need to be plugging forward. In fact, I'm pretty sure I've been financially affected by COVID regulations more than most posters here. The fine line between precaution and rampant sickness will need to be figured out soon. But I don't have the answer... sure wish I did though.
I obviously don't have the answers. It's way above anyone's pay grade here and there are way too many variables to try and figure it all out exactly. But I lean towards being more concerned about overreacting again and shutting things down again. I think we have to accept that the best we can hope for is to "manage" the spread and its treatment until we have a vaccine.
Shill Jackson
Mount Rushmore

Post by Shill Jackson »

The biggest limiter is the number of hospital beds and the volume of supplies available.
Additionally, the more cases, the more risk to the medical personnel that take care of them.
"Educated people make the world a better place, they mercilessly attack misery and cruelty, and eventually they win."
--Henry Rollins

**zombiesonics is a feckless cunt!**
AbeVigodaLive
Clean-Up Crew

Post by AbeVigodaLive »

Turns out they caught it from my niece.

My niece works at a hair salon. So... one stylist... who knew she was sick didn't want to miss out on a day's pay... went to work.

As a result, the business is closed for two weeks. All the other stylists lose two weeks of pay. Before finding out she had it... my niece had to call all the stylist's customers telling them they have to get tested. And now, it's extended to other people outside the shop.

All because of one selfish person. I hope the chick was fired on the spot.

[Note: That's the kind of stuff any attempt to "get back to normal" will face. We can never underestimate dumb people or selfish people.]
Shill Jackson
Mount Rushmore

Post by Shill Jackson »

AbeVigodaLive wrote:Turns out they caught it from my niece.

My niece works at a hair salon. So... one stylist... who knew she was sick didn't want to miss out on a day's pay... went to work.

As a result, the business is closed for two weeks. All the other stylists lose two weeks of pay. Before finding out she had it... my niece had to call all the stylist's customers telling them they have to get tested. And now, it's extended to other people outside the shop.

[Note: That's the kind of stuff any attempt to "get back to normal" will face. We can never underestimate dumb people or selfish people.]
Was she selfish, or just trying to make a living?
"Educated people make the world a better place, they mercilessly attack misery and cruelty, and eventually they win."
--Henry Rollins

vcsgrizzfan
Mount Rushmore

Post by vcsgrizzfan »

Shill Jackson wrote:

She was probably trying to make a living. But she was definitely selfish. They aren't exactly mutually exclusive.
AbeVigodaLive
Clean-Up Crew

Post by AbeVigodaLive »

Shill Jackson wrote:

If you're sick in a pandemic... and working with clients THAT closely... selfish.

I'm sure she's a contractor, and not an actual employee, so she'd probably miss out on the wages. And that sucks. But because of her myopic thinking... she lost her job (hopefully) and caused many others to lose paychecks for two weeks.
Repeat3peat
Repeat Fantasy BBall Champ

Post by Repeat3peat »

AbeVigodaLive wrote:The Gal Pal's parents have Covid. Her dad has Type 1 diabetes.

I know the virus is a ruse. A hoax. A farce. A Democratic ploy to win the election. And basically just a bad strain of the flu.

All the same... a bad case of a bad flu for people with certain ailments still sucks. I guess I'll learn secondhand what it's like to have it... all else being equal, I'd prefer not to get it.

Sorry to hear that Abe, positive thoughts and prayers your family's way dude.
Da Stars.
Tight wad. Penny pincher. Mr. Dollar Theater.

Post by Da Stars. »

I hate apples.
Shill Jackson
Mount Rushmore

Post by Shill Jackson »

Da Stars. wrote:I hate apples.
even with peanut butter?
--Henry Rollins

Da Stars.
Tight wad. Penny pincher. Mr. Dollar Theater.

Post by Da Stars. »

Shill Jackson wrote:
even with peanut butter?
One big yawn.
AlaskaHawks
Mount Rushmore

Post by AlaskaHawks »

Prayer for her folks. Not a good combo with Diabetes. My dad's friend passed a few weeks ago and the doc said they see it a lot with diabetes for more severe symptoms.
"The idea is not to block every shot. The idea is to make your opponent believe you might block every shot."
Bill Russell

"I'm just 'bout that action, boss"
L.O.B. = Love our Brothers.
Shill Jackson
Mount Rushmore

Post by Shill Jackson »

Da Stars. wrote:
Shill Jackson wrote:
even with peanut butter?
One big yawn.
:troll:
--Henry Rollins

Shill Jackson
Mount Rushmore

Post by Shill Jackson »

AlaskaHawks wrote:Prayer for her folks. Not a good combo with Diabetes. My dad's friend passed a few weeks ago and the doc said they see it a lot with diabetes for more severe symptoms.
My neighbor up the street died. Not that old. Not that fat. But the betes
--Henry Rollins

manchild98
Hidden Member

Post by manchild98 »

I was supposed to have a large tree cut down last Tuesday. Monday night the guy texts me and says he has to postpone it because his tree climber has Covid and is having a real hard time breathing. They cut down a tree for me back in February so I know the tree climber guy looked like he was in his early 30's? Glad I wore the mask when the owner came over to give me a price quote the Thursday before. He didn't wear one of course. I wore it and stayed far away from him as well. He coughed a few times and said it was just allergies. I'm sure he ended up with it too. It's been 11 days now and he hasn't contacted me. I guess I need to text him to see if I need to get a new tree service.

Today some chick IM'd me at work to tell me she was logging off for the day. Her husband tested positive on Wednesday and she was starting to feel shitty and was going to get tested. Obviously she has it if her husband has it. I know she has 2 kids that are like 2 and 4. She's in her mid 20's.