Doc Rivers shown the door in LA.

Talk about anything here.
Thedictator
Legend

Re: Doc Rivers shown the door in LA.

Post by Thedictator »

Bartman wrote:When I saw Ballmer after the Clippers loss, I knew he wasn't going to keep Rivers.
No franchise can win with a cuck like Ballmer as their owner imho
AlaskaHawks
Mount Rushmore

Post by AlaskaHawks »

Stephen A gonna be real mad when the new HC is announced.
"The idea is not to block every shot. The idea is to make your opponent believe you might block every shot."
Bill Russell

"I'm just 'bout that action, boss"
L.O.B. = Love our Brothers.
AbeVigodaLive
Clean-Up Crew

Post by AbeVigodaLive »

Thedictator wrote:Remember when he gave his son like a 50 million dollar contract

He was behind getting Steerling fired...Doc Rivers is an all around scumbag, love to see him go

:mj:
Bartman
Hall of Famer

Post by Bartman »

Thedictator wrote:
Bartman wrote:When I saw Ballmer after the Clippers loss, I knew he wasn't going to keep Rivers.
No franchise can win with a cuck like Ballmer as their owner imho

He paid for a championship squad that had the talent to win it all, his only mistake was keeping Rivers. If being a cuck had anything to do with him keeping Rivers than I guess you're right. At least he's making up for his mistake now.
AbeVigodaLive
Clean-Up Crew

Post by AbeVigodaLive »

Amazing what a difference a season makes... and team chemistry.

In 2019, the Clippers were picked by oddsmakers to lose about 50 games. Then, they traded the team's best player for Wilson Chandler, Mike Muscala and Landry Shamet... and then...

They got better! The team shockingly went 48 - 34 with a unique blend of players. They even won a couple of playoff games vs. a fully healthy GSW team.

_______

Then, the team mortgaged everything for two star players. And those incumbent Clippers players who had previously been the underdogs and exceeded expectations... were largely given also-ran status to make way for the two new superstars on the roster. Team chemistry, which used to be a strength, has been mentioned as THE reason for this season's playoff implosion.

_______

Does that mean Doc Rivers is absolved of guilt? Of course not. There are reasons he has detractors. But before the team could ever cut bait from either of the superstars the team gave up everything for... it's easier to make the coach the scapegoat.

It's the NBA. It's ALWAYS easier to make the coach the first scapegoat.
Last edited by AbeVigodaLive on Mon Sep 28, 2020 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
3effs
Hall of Famer

Post by 3effs »

I’m starting to think that Leonard and George will both leave after next season, leaving the Clippers with no future.

Pretty sure that’s what going to happen.
LNS
Boxing Knowledge Champ

Post by LNS »

AbeVigodaLive wrote:Amazing what a difference a season makes... and team chemistry.

In 2019, the Clippers were picked by oddsmakers to lose about 50 games. Then, they traded the team's best player for Wilson Chandler, Mike Muscala and Landry Shamet... and then...

They got better! The team shockingly went 48 - 34 with a unique blend of players. They even won a couple of playoff games vs. a fully healthy GSW team.

_______

Then, the team mortgaged everything for two star players. And those incumbent Clippers players who had previously been the underdogs and exceeded expectations... were largely given also-ran status to make way for the two new superstars on the roster. Team chemistry, which used to be a strength, has been mentioned as THE reason for this season's playoff implosion.

_______

Does that mean Doc Rivers is absolved of guilt? Of course not. There are reasons he has detractors. But before the team could ever cut bait from either of the superstars the team gave up everything for... it's easier to make the coach the scapegoat.

But isn’t it Doc’s job to make sure there’s chemistry and a good culture in the locker room? It’s not his first rodeo, and it’s not like he hasn’t dealt with a collection of egos and personalities before.

I heard Kawhi’s “load management” bothered some of the other players, that they saw it as favoritism (which it is, if we’re being honest). Seems weird that Doc never caught wind of that and tried to correct it in some way.

Also... I know it’s easy to scapegoat the coach but maybe in this case it’s warranted? I mean three 3-1 choke jobs are on his resume now. He has also blown a couple of 3-2 leads as well IIRC. I know he’s not out there playing but there’s clearly something lacking in the leadership department IMO.
vcsgrizzfan
Mount Rushmore

Post by vcsgrizzfan »

this is truly a sad day for all Certified Laker fans.
zombiesonics
Mount Rushmore

Post by zombiesonics »

Abe is doing a whole lot of splainin’ to absolve Doc of his massive failures.

With that said, Doc has had some solid coaching feats with some mediocre teams. He overachieved with a shitty Clippers team last year. Made it to game 7 of ECF with a shitty Celtics team in 2012. Won COY with a shitty Tragic team in 2000.

Basically, he’s really good at overachieving with crappy teams, but as soon as he gets a mega team he’s a sure bet to choke and/or underachieve. He damn near choked away 2008 against the Hawks and Cavs. :laugh3:
Bartman
Hall of Famer

Post by Bartman »

vcsgrizzfan wrote:this is truly a sad day for all Certified Laker fans.

Real Lakers fans, like me too.
AbeVigodaLive
Clean-Up Crew

Post by AbeVigodaLive »

LNS wrote:
AbeVigodaLive wrote:Amazing what a difference a season makes... and team chemistry.

_______

_______

But isn’t it Doc’s job to make sure there’s chemistry and a good culture in the locker room? It’s not his first rodeo, and it’s not like he hasn’t dealt with a collection of egos and personalities before.

I heard Kawhi’s “load management” bothered some of the other players, that they saw it as favoritism (which it is, if we’re being honest). Seems weird that Doc never caught wind of that and tried to correct it in some way.

Also... I know it’s easy to scapegoat the coach but maybe in this case it’s warranted? I mean three 3-1 choke jobs are on his resume now. He has also blown a couple of 3-2 leads as well IIRC. I know he’s not out there playing but there’s clearly something lacking in the leadership department IMO.

I don't dispute any of that. I was simply pointing out how quickly things change for coaches. And probably players, too.

Obviously, good chemistry turned to bad chemistry with the arrival of the two new stars.

Rivers should take blame. The incumbent players should be blamed. And the stars should take blame. The hammer falls first on the coach. ALWAYS... or almost always. Then, the most replaceable players.

Players are more important than coaches in the NBA, as they should be.
lettherebehouse
Clean-Up Crew

Post by lettherebehouse »

3effs wrote:I’m starting to think that Leonard and George will both leave after next season, leaving the Clippers with no future.

Pretty sure that’s what going to happen.

The universe has a funny way of righting itself like that.
vcsgrizzfan
Mount Rushmore

Post by vcsgrizzfan »

I'm talking out of my ass here because no one knows for certain, but I suspect PG was the biggest issue. He never seems to accept crap sticking to him and I think he soured chemistry with his "I'm all that and a bag of chips" attitude.
kobeunderbite
Proud supporter of President Trump.

Post by kobeunderbite »

Other than his first year as a hc over 20 years ago Doc has basically never coached a team that could be considered an overachiever. He's a joke.
lettherebehouse
Clean-Up Crew

Post by lettherebehouse »

vcsgrizzfan wrote:I'm talking out of my ass here because no one knows for certain, but I suspect PG was the biggest issue. He never seems to accept crap sticking to him and I think he soured chemistry with his "I'm all that and a bag of chips" attitude.

And that’s where I stopped reading
vcsgrizzfan
Mount Rushmore

Post by vcsgrizzfan »

kobeunderbite wrote:Other than his first year as a hc over 20 years ago Doc has basically never coached a team that could be considered an overachiever. He's a joke.
What about last year? But he doesn't seem to change approach on the fly like top coaches do on a consistent basis.
PhutureDynasty
Mount Rushmore

Post by PhutureDynasty »

Max. wrote:
PhutureDynasty wrote:
Bartman wrote:

You don't want him, he's overrated, the Celts won a ring in spite of him.
I do want him. He's the best available coach.
Mike D'Antoni is a better coach than Doc Rivers. I'll gladly die on this hill if pressed.
To each their own.

I get the respect for Pringles. I just don't want him here.
kobeunderbite
Proud supporter of President Trump.

Post by kobeunderbite »

vcsgrizzfan wrote:
kobeunderbite wrote:Other than his first year as a hc over 20 years ago Doc has basically never coached a team that could be considered an overachiever. He's a joke.
What about last year? But he doesn't seem to change approach on the fly like top coaches do on a consistent basis.

I call last season the "Blake Griffin effect"
Bartman
Hall of Famer

Post by Bartman »

AbeVigodaLive wrote:
LNS wrote:

_______

_______

I don't dispute any of that. I was simply pointing out how quickly things change for coaches. And probably players, too.

Obviously, good chemistry turned to bad chemistry with the arrival of the two new stars.

Rivers should take blame. The incumbent players should be blamed. And the stars should take blame. The hammer falls first on the coach. ALWAYS... or almost always. Then, the most replaceable players.

Players are more important than coaches in the NBA, as they should be.
Abe, I recollect you defending Rivers in the past. What do you like about the guy that you keep defending him?
Bartman
Hall of Famer

Post by Bartman »

LNS wrote:

_______

_______

Hit another one out the park with this post, LNS. Abe should tuck tail after getting abused so badly.