Bobcats looking to be buyers at trade deadline

Talk about anything here.
Buckets
Repeat Fantasy BBall Champ

Bobcats looking to be buyers at trade deadline

Post by Buckets »

I’ve heard from rival executives that the Bobcats are going to be buyers at the deadline. This is an organization that is tired of losing games and they’d love to make the playoffs this year. This is their opportunity, with the Eastern Conference being wide open. I’d be surprised if they decided to pack it in and tank the rest of the season. I get that there’s an incentive to lose so that they can keep their draft pick rather than giving it to the Bulls, but that didn’t affect their decision-making when they signed Al Jefferson over the offseason and I don’t think it’ll affect their decision-making at the deadline. They want to win.

Read more at http://www.basketballinsiders.com/chat/ ... lXS5IdR.99" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Havlicekstealsit
G.O.A.T.

Re: Bobcats looking to be buyers at trade deadline

Post by Havlicekstealsit »

They really made a big jump this year at 6th defensively, up from 30th last season. Their record might not show it, but they've been competitive. Not to mention Big Al has been beasting lately. All they really need are better shooters to compliment Al and they can push for .500. Pretty incredible when you consider how bad they've been the last few years.
AbeVigodaLive
Clean-Up Crew

Post by AbeVigodaLive »

Havlicekstealsit wrote:They really made a big jump this year at 6th defensively, up from 30th last season. Their record might not show it, but they've been competitive. Not to mention Big Al has been beasting lately. All they really need are better shooters to compliment Al and they can push for .500. Pretty incredible when you consider how bad they've been the last few years.

I think most people thought Charlotte would win about 30 games and possibly compete for a low playoff berth this season. Not good... but an improvement.

The move to add Al Jefferson was definitely a hint that they were willing to try to win now.
Buckets

Post by Buckets »

Havlicekstealsit wrote:They really made a big jump this year at 6th defensively, up from 30th last season. Their record might not show it, but they've been competitive. Not to mention Big Al has been beasting lately. All they really need are better shooters to compliment Al and they can push for .500. Pretty incredible when you consider how bad they've been the last few years.

They are slowly putting a team together that can at least "compete". I was really surprised when there wasn't as strong of an interest in Al Jefferson from other teams. IMO if I'm willing to commit $13 mill towards a player, its going to be Jefferson and not Josh Smith (cough Detroit cough)
zombiesonics
Mount Rushmore

Post by zombiesonics »

They should be sellers at this point. They're inconsistent and their talent doesn't fit together. They've also got the Pistons' protected pick in a loaded draft.
AbeVigodaLive
Clean-Up Crew

Post by AbeVigodaLive »

zombiesonics wrote:They should be sellers at this point. They're inconsistent and their talent doesn't fit together. They've also got the Pistons' protected pick in a loaded draft.

Some teams need to show SOME signs of improvement to placate an apathetic fanbase sick of ineptness. Short-sighted goals after many failed long-term rebuilding projects went awry.

See Minnesota...
wailuaFC
All-Time Great

Post by wailuaFC »

Who exactly are they looking to "buy"?
Buckets

Post by Buckets »

AbeVigodaLive wrote:
zombiesonics wrote:They should be sellers at this point. They're inconsistent and their talent doesn't fit together. They've also got the Pistons' protected pick in a loaded draft.

Some teams need to show SOME signs of improvement to placate an apathetic fanbase sick of ineptness. Short-sighted goals after many failed long-term rebuilding projects went awry.

See Minnesota...

They especially need to show improvement when they become the Hornets next year. Granted some of the gear will sell itself with the name change but if they really want to take advantage of a huge marketing opportunity, they need to create some buzz (no pun intended) around the team.
zombiesonics
Mount Rushmore

Post by zombiesonics »

AbeVigodaLive wrote:

See Minnesota...
Minny is a whole 'nother story.
Havlicekstealsit
G.O.A.T.

Post by Havlicekstealsit »

Buckets wrote:

They are slowly putting a team together that can at least "compete". I was really surprised when there wasn't as strong of an interest in Al Jefferson from other teams. IMO if I'm willing to commit $13 mill towards a player, its going to be Jefferson and not Josh Smith (cough Detroit cough)
I really thought a Pistons frontline of Smith, Drummond, and Monroe would be solid, but Josh has been really shitty and I should have known Brandon "38%" Jennings eats first there.
Buckets

Post by Buckets »

Havlicekstealsit wrote:
Buckets wrote:

I really thought a Pistons frontline of Smith, Drummond, and Monroe would be solid, but Josh has been really shitty and I should have known Brandon "38%" Jennings eats first there.
Josh Smith has terrible basketball IQ. Logic should tell him to quite jacking up 3s. However he seems to take it as a challange. Drimmond should be solid, and I think they should hold onto Monroe but likely will let him go with the amount of money he'll be offered by other teams
wailuaFC
All-Time Great

Post by wailuaFC »

Havlicekstealsit wrote:
Buckets wrote:

You thought they'd be solid? So Monroe and Drummond down on the block clogging the lane, and with josh smith heaving threes as their only way to add a little bit of floor spacing and you thought that'd work? Interesting

Ps, I didn't even mention Jennings, adding him into that equation only makes things much worse, that team was doomed from the start
elmerjfudd
The Lurker

Post by elmerjfudd »

wailuaFC wrote:Who exactly are they looking to "buy"?
good player on a bad team.