Hall of Famer

BR: Bryant, Duncan, Garnett make HOF, announcement tomorrow

Post by FPL »

AbeVigodaLive
Clean-Up Crew

Re: BR: Bryant, Duncan, Garnett make HOF, announcement tomorrow

Post by AbeVigodaLive »

Damn.

Imagine being Kevin Garnett... a top 20ish guy all time... but the red-headed stepchild of the HOF inductees this year.
Havlicekstealsit
G.O.A.T.

Post by Havlicekstealsit »

I'm assuming there won't be a ceremony. Or they'll do it through Zoom or some shit.
LNS
Boxing Knowledge Champ

Post by LNS »

AbeVigodaLive wrote:Damn.

Imagine being Kevin Garnett... a top 20ish guy all time... but the red-headed stepchild of the HOF inductees this year.
I dunno about that. In terms of “star power” he’s easily up there with Timmy, probably even more so IMO. You can even argue he was a better player in his prime. And it’s not as if KG doesn’t have a decent amount of hardware himself.
Bush4Ever.
All-Time Great

Post by Bush4Ever. »

That might be a fun topic to think about:

What HOF class was the best class of all-time?

Instead of teams or drafts or franchises.

https://www.nba.com/history/hall-of-fame-inductees" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Havlicekstealsit
G.O.A.T.

Post by Havlicekstealsit »

Bush4Ever. wrote:That might be a fun topic to think about:

What HOF class was the best class of all-time?

Instead of teams or drafts or franchises.

https://www.nba.com/history/hall-of-fame-inductees" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
This one's right up there with DRob, Jordan, Stockton.
AbeVigodaLive
Clean-Up Crew

Post by AbeVigodaLive »

LNS wrote:

I dunno about that. In terms of “star power” he’s easily up there with Timmy, probably even more so IMO. You can even argue he was a better player in his prime. And it’s not as if KG doesn’t have a decent amount of hardware himself.

I know he has his fans... some even think he's a top 10 type player. But by most metrics used to judge this stuff... Garnett (despite being an incredible player stuck with a franchise who wasted his best years) has career accomplishments that are slightly behind the other two guys.

That's all I'm saying.

That's what makes this class so damn impressive. It's an amazing trio. And a fun group, too. Each is so different:

- Kobe Bryant. For as awesome as he was... he'll be remembered as one of the more selfish superstars in history. Incredibly polarizing. Flashy. Brilliant. Scoring savant.
- Tim Duncan. Check out his year-by-year stats. It's insanely consistent. Nothing outlandish. Just steady brilliance that few players could ever match.
- Kevin Garnett. Loud and boisterous with a true on-court selfless streak that separates him from most. The greatest "second fiddle" in NBA history. Sometimes, a bit of bad luck, bad timing and bad decisions (by others) affects a player's legacy, too.
kennethgriffin24
Banned User
Banned User

Post by kennethgriffin24 »

i hope phil jackson does kobes induction. hes the only guy i havent heard speak since his death. but sadly it will likely be shaq or magic
Kobe Bryant 2010 Finals MVP ( 29ppg/8rpg/4apg/2spg ) higher EFG% than Jordan 96 and 98 finals
kennethgriffin24
Banned User
Banned User

Post by kennethgriffin24 »

AbeVigodaLive wrote:
LNS wrote:

I know he has his fans... some even think he's a top 10 type player. But by most metrics used to judge this stuff... Garnett (despite being an incredible player stuck with a franchise who wasted his best years) has career accomplishments that are slightly behind the other two guys.

That's all I'm saying.

That's what makes this class so damn impressive. It's an amazing trio. And a fun group, too. Each is so different:

- Kobe Bryant. For as awesome as he was... he'll be remembered as one of the more selfish superstars in history. Incredibly polarizing. Flashy. Brilliant. Scoring savant.
- Tim Duncan. Check out his year-by-year stats. It's insanely consistent. Nothing outlandish. Just steady brilliance that few players could ever match.
- Kevin Garnett. Loud and boisterous with a true on-court selfless streak that separates him from most. The greatest "second fiddle" in NBA history. Sometimes, a bit of bad luck, bad timing and bad decisions (by others) affects a player's legacy, too.

the funny thing is kobe is actually less selfish than lebron. lebron holds the ball the entire game and guns for assists at the detriment of the offense at times. when kobe wasnt scoring he played the triangle perfectly and moved well without the ball. and when he was setting up people he did a great job and led the lakers in assists for all 5 titles and nearly every year he played with the lakers. he also complimented shaq more than anyone ever did and managed to score a ton of points in the flow of the game while making sure shaq got 25-30 as well. he and lebron are the only 2 players with 30k points and 5k assists. and he also spoon fed gasol for thousands of points off pick and pops. he was the assist man on all of horry and fishers clutch shots. kobe is a very underrated passer

phpBB [video]
Kobe Bryant 2010 Finals MVP ( 29ppg/8rpg/4apg/2spg ) higher EFG% than Jordan 96 and 98 finals
Shill Jackson
Mount Rushmore

Post by Shill Jackson »

kennethgriffin24 wrote:
AbeVigodaLive wrote:
LNS wrote:

That's all I'm saying.

the funny thing is kobe is actually less selfish than lebron. lebron holds the ball the entire game and guns for assists at the detriment of the offense at times. when kobe wasnt scoring he played the triangle perfectly and moved well without the ball. and when he was setting up people he did a great job and led the lakers in assists for all 5 titles and nearly every year he played with the lakers. he also complimented shaq more than anyone ever did and managed to score a ton of points in the flow of the game while making sure shaq got 25-30 as well. he and lebron are the only 2 players with 30k points and 5k assists. and he also spoon fed gasol for thousands of points off pick and pops. he was the assist man on all of horry and fishers clutch shots. kobe is a very underrated passer

phpBB [video]
I think the selfish drum is beat hard by those who were constant frustrated by Kobe.
No more selfish than Jordan, but they don’t bring it up about him nearly as much.
‘But he should have passed more!’
Why isn’t the same said about Shaq? For that matter, why don’t these same people complain that Shaq didn’t shoot enough threes?
Kobe was a SG. His role was to shoot.
When you look at it, two of the most iconic plays of Kobe’s career were the Alley Oop to Shaq, and the swing to Artest for the three. Both passes.
With very few exceptions, Kobe’s teammates played their best while playing with him. That says a lot.

As far as KG, I’d say 20 is a little rich for him. I’d go a bit lower. I do give him props for his great defense, a marker that is overlooked far too often.
I think the most telling thing about Timmy and Kobe is how successful they were, despite being in the same Conference and continually competing against each other.

As far as HOF class, just about the best ever.
"Educated people make the world a better place, they mercilessly attack misery and cruelty, and eventually they win."
--Henry Rollins

**zombiesonics is a feckless cunt!**
FPL
Hall of Famer

Post by FPL »