Elam Ending just changed the all star game

Talk about anything here.
Kingcarl24
G.O.A.T.

Elam Ending just changed the all star game

Post by Kingcarl24 »

That was fun. Watching the NBA’s best all on the court really going for it was worth the watch. I hope they continue that for years to come.
Alex_Murphy
Clean-Up Crew

Re: Elam Ending just changed the all star game

Post by Alex_Murphy »

Refs fucked it up what would have otherwise been an epic game
Last edited by Alex_Murphy on Mon Feb 17, 2020 1:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
AlaskaHawks
Mount Rushmore

Post by AlaskaHawks »

Watched it... but what is Elam Ending?
"The idea is not to block every shot. The idea is to make your opponent believe you might block every shot."
Bill Russell

"I'm just 'bout that action, boss"
L.O.B. = Love our Brothers.
Kingcarl24
G.O.A.T.

Post by Kingcarl24 »

The playing to a certain number instead of a time.
Havlicekstealsit
G.O.A.T.

Post by Havlicekstealsit »

Lol people actually watched it?
Kingcarl24
G.O.A.T.

Post by Kingcarl24 »

Havlicekstealsit wrote:Lol people actually watched it?
No joke, I normally skip the game but I was curious about the ending. It was one of the better all star games I’ve watched. The players were all actually trying and playing defense. Giannis has a great block on LeBron and Lowry took 2 charges in an all star game. It was great.
LACANO
Lord Savior

Post by LACANO »

You should have to win on a field goal. Didn't like that it ended on the FT line.
LACANO
Lord Savior

Post by LACANO »

Max. wrote:
LACANO wrote:You should have to win on a field goal. Didn't like that it ended on the FT line.

How would you do that?
Assuming a foul was called?

A one-on-one mini game. Each selects a player and those two square off.
LACANO
Lord Savior

Post by LACANO »

Okay, how about this.

One-on-one mini game for fouls within the last 6 points of the game. Each team chooses a rotation for the 1v1s but they don't know the other's order until the game starts.
manchild98
Hidden Member

Post by manchild98 »

UNC MJ FAN. wrote:Refs fucked it up what would have otherwise been an epic game
The refs did get way too involved that last quarter.
Alex_Murphy
Clean-Up Crew

Post by Alex_Murphy »

Max. wrote:
manchild98 wrote:
UNC MJ FAN. wrote:Refs fucked it up what would have otherwise been an epic game
The refs did get way too involved that last quarter.
They had to call the the last foul though. Lowry was fucked and he knew it. Thus the foul.
The goaltending on Gianni's that was overturned

The flopping by Lowry on Hardens game winner

It really should not have come down to a freethrow
3effs
Hall of Famer

Post by 3effs »

I'd rather the game come down to a couple free throws than the free throw fest we currently have now when a team is trying to come back.

It's too radical, but I much prefer the Elam Ending to a timed contest. I'd be in favor of adopting it league wide, for every game.
Alex_Murphy
Clean-Up Crew

Post by Alex_Murphy »

I've never heard the term "Elam" before this thread... I have no idea what it means and I'm even more confused after 3effs used it in his reply casually as if he knows wtf it means

So far my research has pulled up the following possible definitions for "Elam"

1. Elam was an ancient civilization centered in the far west and southwest of modern-day Iran, stretching from the lowlands of what is now Khuzestan and Ilam Province, as well as a small part of southern Iraq. ... In classical literature, Elam was more often referred to as Susiana, a name derived from its capital, Susa.

2. Executive Leadership in Academic Medicine
Acronym. Definition. ELAM. Executive Leadership in Academic Medicine (various universities)

3. The name is also used (as in Akkadian) for the ancient country of Elam in what is now southern Iran, whose people the Hebrews believed to be the offspring of Elam, son of Shem (Genesis 10:22).

That's all I got :noidea:
Alex_Murphy
Clean-Up Crew

Post by Alex_Murphy »

Forgot about urban dictionary

elam
noun. A man who abandons a woman as soon as she tells him she is pregnant; a deadbeat.

Origin: from "Men's Rights" movement leader and notorious deadbeat dad, Paul Elam. See: santorum.

"Hey, where's Derek?"

"Oh, that elam dumped me as soon as I told him I was pregnant."

Well that didn't help :L
Kingcarl24
G.O.A.T.

Post by Kingcarl24 »

I'm hearing a lot of people complain about the game ending on a free throw.

Have people forgotten that a TON of games end on free throws? In fact, most close games turn into free throw shooting contests. We just watched an all star game where the players were actually trying and playing defense. There is a risk of ending on a free throw but I'd much rather have that and a 4th quarter as intense as that 4th quarter was than what usually happens and someone dribbles out the clock.

I don't know. I think I really prefer that kind of ending to the timed one.
Robceltsfan
Pick 'Em League Champion

Post by Robceltsfan »

Kingcarl24 wrote:I'm hearing a lot of people complain about the game ending on a free throw.

Have people forgotten that a TON of games end on free throws? In fact, most close games turn into free throw shooting contests. We just watched an all star game where the players were actually trying and playing defense. There is a risk of ending on a free throw but I'd much rather have that and a 4th quarter as intense as that 4th quarter was than what usually happens and someone dribbles out the clock.

For an exhibition it's fine....I just hope they never change it for real games. The thought of eliminating buzzer beaters is crazy...
Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are dumber than that.

~George Carlin~
Kingcarl24
G.O.A.T.

Post by Kingcarl24 »

Robceltsfan wrote:
Kingcarl24 wrote:I'm hearing a lot of people complain about the game ending on a free throw.

For an exhibition it's fine....I just hope they never change it for real games. The thought of eliminating buzzer beaters is crazy...
I don't think it should change for real games either but I sure do enjoy it for exhibition games. If they do that play in tournament for the playoffs, this could be a fun idea.
Alex_Murphy
Clean-Up Crew

Post by Alex_Murphy »

I really feel like they should adopt the format for overtime. Get rid of the game clock in overtime and set a certain number of points perhaps they can look in to see what's the average number of points scored in an overtime and just use that as the barometer

so let's say on average a team scores between eight and twelve points in overtime then it's the first team to score 12 points and that should be a league-wide overtime rule. Thoughts?
3effs
Hall of Famer

Post by 3effs »

Robceltsfan wrote:

You essentially still have buzzer beaters though, even if it’s not actually the clock you’re beating. There will be a walk off shot every game.
Robceltsfan
Pick 'Em League Champion

Post by Robceltsfan »

3effs wrote:
Robceltsfan wrote:

You essentially still have buzzer beaters though, even if it’s not actually the clock you’re beating. There will be a walk off shot every game.
Yeah, but in the flow of the game....not a must-throw-up-a-shot-in-2.4-seconds kinda feeling. It's not the same. There's a ton of icon moments we'd be missing without buzzer beaters.

Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are dumber than that.

~George Carlin~