All-Star

Rolling the ball halfway down the court

Post by TheStig »

should be delay of game.
Havlicekstealsit
G.O.A.T.

Re: Rolling the ball halfway down the court

Post by Havlicekstealsit »

What would it be delaying, especially if the defense isn't even on that half of the court?
zombiesonics
Mount Rushmore

Post by zombiesonics »

Havlicekstealsit wrote:What would it be delaying, especially if the defense isn't even on that half of the court?
These new Thunder fans aren't very smart.
TheStig
All-Star

Post by TheStig »

Havlicekstealsit wrote:What would it be delaying, especially if the defense isn't even on that half of the court?
It's delaying if the clock isn't moving.
Smelters
Hall of Famer

Post by Smelters »

TheStig wrote:should be delay of game.
Do you mean when they inbound the ball and roll it to get up the court without time running off the clock?

If so your teammate must get the ball before the 5 second violation.
TheStig
All-Star

Post by TheStig »

Smelters wrote:
Do you mean when they inbound the ball and roll it to get up the court without time running off the clock?

Yeah that's what I'm talking about.
Smelters
Hall of Famer

Post by Smelters »

TheStig wrote:
Smelters wrote:

Yeah you can roll the ball down court as long as the ball is touched before the 5 second count.

I think sometimes refs forget to keep counting when someone starts rolling the ball.
Ghostown42
All-Time Great

Post by Ghostown42 »

Defenses should put a guy up on the player receiving the inbounds pass. That always forces the offensive player to pick the ball up.
Havlicekstealsit
G.O.A.T.

TheStig wrote:
I'm asking what is it delaying if there's zero defensive presence on that side of the court in the first place? No plays are being made on the ball and that's maybe 4-5 seconds at best. Considering most teams shoot it before the shotclock reaches 5 seconds these days does it really matter? Those 4-5 seconds the clock runs off simply means they chuck it with 12 left rather than 8.

If the defense doesn't want them rolling the ball then they will actively place defenders on that side to get it. They don't, so theyre just as complicit.
TheStig
All-Star

Post by TheStig »

[youtube]jPOcCpTXcVo[/youtube]
Havlicekstealsit
G.O.A.T.

TheStig wrote:[youtube]jPOcCpTXcVo[/youtube]

Perfect example. What invisible force field was somehow prohibiting that Magic defender from applying pressure on the ball? Don't want the ball rolled up? Get defenders over there. It's that simple.
TheStig
All-Star

Post by TheStig »

Havlicekstealsit wrote:
TheStig wrote:
I'm asking what is it delaying if there's zero defensive presence on that side of the court in the first place? No plays are being made on the ball and that's maybe 4-5 seconds at best. Considering most teams shoot it before the shotclock reaches 5 seconds these days does it really matter? Those 4-5 seconds the clock runs off simply means they chuck it with 12 left rather than 8.

If the defense doesn't want them rolling the ball then they will actively place defenders on that side to get it. They don't, so theyre just as complicit.
I agree that the defense should put pressure to stop it but if there's 5 seconds to inbound but the ball is rolling for 12 seconds it should either be a delay of game or 5 second violation. They call a delay of game on a team that touches the ball after a made basket but not something like this.
Smelters
Hall of Famer

Post by Smelters »

Perfect example. What invisible force field was somehow prohibiting that Magic defender from applying pressure on the ball? Don't want the ball rolled up? Get defenders over there. It's that simple.[/quote]
I'm not hating on Bron here but just trying to explain the rules. That should have been a 5 second violation.
Havlicekstealsit
G.O.A.T.

Smelters wrote:Perfect example. What invisible force field was somehow prohibiting that Magic defender from applying pressure on the ball? Don't want the ball rolled up? Get defenders over there. It's that simple.
I'm not hating on Bron here but just trying to explain the rules. That should have been a 5 second violation.[/quote]

Eh, I didn't think the footage cut back in time enough to time it ourselves, but you're right.
Kingcarl24
G.O.A.T.

Post by Kingcarl24 »

How is it a five second violation? It's a live ball. Anyone can grab it. If you have the ball out of bounds, nobody can touch so you have five seconds to inbound it.
zombiesonics
Mount Rushmore

Post by zombiesonics »

Once the ball leaves the inbounder's hands the ball has been inbounded. There is no 5 second violation no matter how long it takes for the clock to start. This is an utterly useless thread.
Smelters
Hall of Famer

Post by Smelters »

When taking the ball out, the team with the ball must gain possession of the ball before 5 seconds. Of course if the defending team pick it up it's their ball.

That's why in the video the announcer asked for a 5 second call and there should have been. It's one of those plays that the refs even forget sometimes.

I was on a team and this happened to us as the backup point guard let the ball roll and the ref called a 5 second violation. He explained it to us and the coach. I asked different officials in other games about this and they agreed.
l3bron
Reigning WIS Champion

Post by l3bron »

Smelters wrote:
TheStig wrote:
Smelters wrote: Do you mean when they inbound the ball and roll it to get up the court without time running off the clock?

Yeah you can roll the ball down court as long as the ball is touched before the 5 second count.

I think sometimes refs forget to keep counting when someone starts rolling the ball.
Learn the rules jabroni.
Come at the King, you best not miss.
Smelters
Hall of Famer

Post by Smelters »

l3bron wrote:
Smelters wrote:
TheStig wrote: Yeah that's what I'm talking about.

Learn the rules jabroni.
explain then.
zombiesonics
Mount Rushmore

Post by zombiesonics »

Smelters wrote:When taking the ball out, the team with the ball must gain possession of the ball before 5 seconds. Of course if the defending team pick it up it's their ball.

That's why in the video the announcer asked for a 5 second call and there should have been. It's one of those plays that the refs even forget sometimes.

I was on a team and this happened to us as the backup point guard let the ball roll and the ref called a 5 second violation. He explained it to us and the coach. I asked different officials in other games about this and they agreed.
No. The ball has to leave the inbounder's hands within 5 seconds. If the inbounder waits 4 seconds and then throws the ball inbounds and is deflected by a defender and eventually gains possession after a scramble, it's not a 5 second violation. If the inbounder waits 4 seconds and then tosses a long crosscourt heave that takes 3 seconds to land, it's not a 5 second violation.

You don't know what you're talking about.