UFC 244 (Diaz vs. Masvidal)

Talk about anything here.
Bush4Ever.
All-Time Great

UFC 244 (Diaz vs. Masvidal)

Post by Bush4Ever. »

This is a sneaky good main card, despite not having major superstars (by performance) on it. Pretty much every fight on the card is close to a 50/50 fight,

Diaz/Masvidal: I have a hard time seeing how this fight could possibly be boring, since these are two (primarily) strikers who put on a good pace and are generally forward-moving. Masvidal is a more comprehensive striker than Diaz, but Diaz is probably going to fare better against the cage/in the clinch with dirty boxing (an underrated skill of his). Diaz also has better BJJ, but I don't think he quite has the wrestling to reliably take Masvidal down. It might happen once or something like that, but I'd be surprised if it repeated itself multiple times over.

Pick: Masvidal by close and heavily contested UD

Other picks and notes:

Till over Gastelum in a controversial UD (or SD)...very close fight. Gas has better hands, but Till is better at kicking range is probably a more complete striker. Gas is a better grappler, but I'm not sure it will matter tons in this fight. A big key is who can control the distance. If Till can keep it at kicking range, he wins. Punch range...Gas probably wins. Clinch/ground Gas probably wins as well. I think it will be a mix of the first two.

Thompson over Luque (straightforward UD). Nothing too complicated here. I expect Luque to start strong, but Wonderboy to eventually take over with precision striking and better footwork.

Lewis over Ivanov is going to definitely go the distance. I anticipate a real back-and-forth fight. Ivanov will land some takedowns and control. Lewis will hit some power punches, but Ivanov is crazy tough. My official prediction is Lewis by SD.

Kevin Lee over Gregor: Most likely by head kick after a few jab exchanges. Gregor will likely not get a chance to shoot.
Last edited by Bush4Ever. on Sat Nov 02, 2019 11:32 pm, edited 4 times in total.
LNS
Boxing Knowledge Champ

Re: UFC 244 (Diaz vs. Masvidal)

Post by LNS »

Wanna make another avy bet on the Masvidal vs Diaz fight, @Bush4ever.? I think Diaz wins a close UD due to his work rate.

One week straight up? :D
Bush4Ever.
All-Time Great

Post by Bush4Ever. »

No, it's too close to take a bet honestly.

If Diaz wins, he'll probably do it on the inside and indeed by drowning Masvidal a little bit in the championship rounds (although Mas has never really had cardio problems per see...Diaz is probably a step better). Honestly, I kinda-sorta want to flip my pick back to Diaz.

It's just a hard one to predict and forecast, IMO. A super close Diaz win and a super close Masvidal win are actually close together in real terms. The only outcome that would really surprise me would be a domination either way or a finish (both are brutally hard to finish--Mas is definitely more likely to hit power punches).

Edit: I took a look at the books, and Masvidal is actually a slight favorite. That's interesting.
PhutureDynasty
Mount Rushmore

Post by PhutureDynasty »

LNS wrote:Wanna make another avy bet on the Masvidal vs Diaz fight, @Bush4ever.? I think Diaz wins a close UD due to his work rate.

I'll take it for shiggles and since Bush is a coward.

:)
vcsgrizzfan
Mount Rushmore

Post by vcsgrizzfan »

Bush is such a fag.
LNS
Boxing Knowledge Champ

Post by LNS »

PhutureDynasty wrote:
LNS wrote:Wanna make another avy bet on the Masvidal vs Diaz fight, @Bush4ever.? I think Diaz wins a close UD due to his work rate.

Done!
Bartman
Hall of Famer

Post by Bartman »

LNS wrote:
PhutureDynasty wrote:

Done!
It's easy for someone to take bets when they don't honor them.
CleveTown™
Three-Time Fantasy Champion King

Post by CleveTown™ »

I see Diaz taking this fight.
October 16th, 2020. Thank you Pastor John (P)
January 7th. (D)
LNS
Boxing Knowledge Champ

Post by LNS »

Bartman wrote:
LNS wrote:
PhutureDynasty wrote: I'll take it for shiggles and since Bush is a coward.

Done!

Have you ever gotten someone to avy bet you? Or does no one here give a fuck enough to even bother?

:jayz:
Bush4Ever.
All-Time Great

Post by Bush4Ever. »

I'm happy to admit I don't have a sense of the fight.

I like both of them (Diaz is the origin of my Sherdog handle actually), so it's one of those "I'm rooting for a good fight" fights.

Maybe thinking it through I'll root for Masvidal since Nate has already gotten his big paydays with the Conor fights and title shots at LW, and a win probably locks in an earned title shot (likely) or a big money fight with Conor at 155 (less likely but intriguing).
Bartman
Hall of Famer

Post by Bartman »

LNS wrote:
Bartman wrote:
LNS wrote:

Done!

Have you ever gotten someone to avy bet you? Or does no one here give a fuck enough to even bother?

Is this your way of avoiding being labeled a welcher? Weak effort, fag.
LNS
Boxing Knowledge Champ

Post by LNS »

Bartman wrote:
LNS wrote:
Bartman wrote:

Is this your way of avoiding being labeled a welcher? Weak effort, fag.

I loved bullying and humiliating Riley over that bet.

And no one really cares because he’s such a cry baby.

But I’m glad you’re taking up for him.

:booker:
Bartman
Hall of Famer

Post by Bartman »

Bush4Ever. wrote:I'm happy to admit I don't have a sense of the fight.

I like both of them (Diaz is the origin of my Sherdog handle actually), so it's one of those "I'm rooting for a good fight" fights.

Maybe thinking it through I'll root for Masvidal since Nate has already gotten his big paydays with the Conor fights and title shots at LW, and a win probably locks in an earned title shot (likely) or a big money fight with Conor at 155 (less likely but intriguing).

Masvidal is a punk, I hope Diaz smashes his face in.
Bush4Ever.
All-Time Great

Post by Bush4Ever. »

Bartman wrote:
Masvidal is a punk, I hope Diaz smashes his face in.
Bush4Ever.
All-Time Great

Post by Bush4Ever. »

Benson Henderson (who fought both of them) says this about the main event:

“I gave the fight edge to Jorge, but that being said, now I’ve had time to think about it and actually process it, I think that matchup-wise, I think it’s a good matchup for Nate’s style,” he told MMA Junkie.

“I think Jorge is not going to move as much as he should – he’s just gonna stand there. For Nate to do well, he needs his opponent to just stand there in front of him and let him throw lots of punches. He does well when his punch count is really high. But if you’re not there and he can’t punch at you, his punch count goes down.”

“I think Jorge will actually kinda stand there more for him because they both like to bang, they’re both gonna throw down – it’s gonna be a crazy fight,” he said. “It’s gonna be a great fight to watch. And if they stand there, I think Nate could do a little bit of a better job. But if Jorge uses his fight IQ, I think he won’t be there.

“He has the skill set – he can do it. But the question is, will he do it? Or will he be like, ‘I’m the baddest mother(expletive). We’re gonna stand here, and we’re gonna throw down.’ They could easily do that. If they do that, I’ll go with Nate. If Jorge uses his fight IQ, he has the skill set to beat Nate if he chooses to do so.”

https://mmajunkie.usatoday.com/2019/10/ ... -bmf-fight" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
LNS
Boxing Knowledge Champ

Post by LNS »

Bush4Ever. wrote:Benson Henderson (who fought both of them) says this about the main event:

“I gave the fight edge to Jorge, but that being said, now I’ve had time to think about it and actually process it, I think that matchup-wise, I think it’s a good matchup for Nate’s style,” he told MMA Junkie.

“I think Jorge is not going to move as much as he should – he’s just gonna stand there. For Nate to do well, he needs his opponent to just stand there in front of him and let him throw lots of punches. He does well when his punch count is really high. But if you’re not there and he can’t punch at you, his punch count goes down.”

“I think Jorge will actually kinda stand there more for him because they both like to bang, they’re both gonna throw down – it’s gonna be a crazy fight,” he said. “It’s gonna be a great fight to watch. And if they stand there, I think Nate could do a little bit of a better job. But if Jorge uses his fight IQ, I think he won’t be there.

“He has the skill set – he can do it. But the question is, will he do it? Or will he be like, ‘I’m the baddest mother(expletive). We’re gonna stand here, and we’re gonna throw down.’ They could easily do that. If they do that, I’ll go with Nate. If Jorge uses his fight IQ, he has the skill set to beat Nate if he chooses to do so.”

https://mmajunkie.usatoday.com/2019/10/ ... -bmf-fight" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Too late, Bush. Phuture cowboy’d up and took the bet in your place.

Bush4Ever.
All-Time Great

Post by Bush4Ever. »

LNS wrote:

What the hell are you babbling about?

I posted that because it's an interesting analysis from someone who has fought both of them (and more or less agrees with my thoughts I previously posted, although I have a bit more faith than he seems to have in Masvidal utilizing all his abilities and not just dick-waving himself into a brawl).
Last edited by Bush4Ever. on Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
LNS
Boxing Knowledge Champ

Post by LNS »

Bush4Ever. wrote:
LNS wrote:

What the hell are you babbling about?

I posted that because it's an interesting analysis from someone who has fought both of them.

Beg me.

:arnold:
Bush4Ever.
All-Time Great

Post by Bush4Ever. »

LNS wrote:
Beg me.

:arnold:
Put down the tequila.
Bartman
Hall of Famer

Post by Bartman »

LNS wrote:
Bush4Ever. wrote:Benson Henderson (who fought both of them) says this about the main event:

Your reputation as a welcher made Bush reluctant to bet with you.......LMAO :lol: :lol: :lol: