Do you consider Anthony Davis the best big man in the game?

Talk about anything here.
Y2K
One Mizzou. Then. Now. Always.

Re: Do you consider Anthony Davis the best big man in the game?

Post by Y2K »

But back to the Hibbert thing:

I would not go so far as to say that he "is the defensive system" because that's simply discrediting the system and the other players on the court. He's good at what he does but absolutely stinks at what he's not good at.

:hibbert:

I'm a baaaddd motherfucker!!
wailuaFC
All-Time Great

Post by wailuaFC »

y2ktors wrote:But back to the Hibbert thing:

I would not go so far as to say that he "is the defensive system" because that's simply discrediting the system and the other players on the court. He's good at what he does but absolutely stinks at what he's not good at.

:hibbert:
This season showed just how valuable pg13 is on that side of the ball
Deez
G.O.A.T.

Post by Deez »

wailuaFC wrote:Davis dragged the sorry ass Pelicans to the playoffs in what l3bron has called the greatest conference yet, while Hibbert couldn't even lead the pacers to the playoffs in the sorry ass east.
Yeah no shit. Davis trumps Hibbert by a long fucking ways
AlaskaHawks
Mount Rushmore

Post by AlaskaHawks »

In the 2013-2014 Season

Davis: 466 DRB, 89 STL, 189 BLK
Hibbert: 336 DRB, 29 STL, 182 BLK

Hibbert also played more minutes.
"The idea is not to block every shot. The idea is to make your opponent believe you might block every shot."
Bill Russell

"I'm just 'bout that action, boss"
L.O.B. = Love our Brothers.
vcsgrizzfan
Mount Rushmore

Post by vcsgrizzfan »

l3bron wrote:
vcsgrizzfan wrote:
l3bron wrote: Looks like you haven't mastered the English language either.
You screwed up. I can read just fine. Your ego is a little out of control as usual. Admitting a mistake should not be so difficult.
Point out my "mistake."

Looks like I'll have to spell this out for you.
You picked Hibbert as the best big in the league and claimed he was the reason for their success and shit on his supporting players.

Fact is, he's never had a better defensive rating than George and was usually even the same or lower than Mahinmi for goodness sakes.

He's a good rim protector but his lack of mobility and resulting lack of ability to guard in space or the screen and roll as well as more mobile bigs is another issue.

You essentially completely ignored the offensive side of the ball because it didn't fit your narrative and you wanted to be the clever kid in class.

You pretty much just tried too hard and it blew up in your face.
l3bron
Reigning WIS Champion

Post by l3bron »

The Indiana Pacers were still a top 7 defensive team in the league despite missing their elite defensive wing for pretty much the entire year, losing another great defender in Lance and missing another solid defender in Hill for a good portion of the season.

Guess who kept them a top 10 defensive team despite the injuries?
Come at the King, you best not miss.
Deez
G.O.A.T.

Post by Deez »

l3bron wrote:The Indiana Pacers were still a top 7 defensive team in the league despite missing their elite defensive wing for pretty much the entire year, losing another great defender in Lance and missing another solid defender in Hill for a good portion of the season.

Hibbert isn't even on the same level as Davis. Davis is far above him.
gaskill15
You go, we go... forever

Post by gaskill15 »

l3bron wrote:The Indiana Pacers were still a top 7 defensive team in the league despite missing their elite defensive wing for pretty much the entire year, losing another great defender in Lance and missing another solid defender in Hill for a good portion of the season.

The guy who played 25mpg this year?
wailuaFC
All-Time Great

Post by wailuaFC »

gaskill15 wrote:

The guy who played 25mpg this year?
:lebronamazed:
Y2K

Post by Y2K »

But you're ignoring or rather de-emphasizing the actual complex system that's in place In Indiana.

Roy plays a big role in what they do. BUT several aspects of their defensive schemes are perimeter-oriented.

Robceltsfan
Pick 'Em League Champion

Post by Robceltsfan »

The Pacers were 17th in defensive rating this season. I assume you're just looking at PPG as your stat of choice, which is highly misleading.
Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are dumber than that.

~George Carlin~
wailuaFC
All-Time Great

Post by wailuaFC »

Robceltsfan wrote:The Pacers were 17th in defensive rating this season. I assume you're just looking at PPG as your stat of choice, which is highly misleading.
He likes to taught efficiency (when it suits his arguments) so im pretty sure he's using defensive efficiency
Y2K

Post by Y2K »

Robceltsfan wrote:The Pacers were 17th in defensive rating this season. I assume you're just looking at PPG as your stat of choice, which is highly misleading.
:biggums:

Master Spade
Hall of Famer

Post by Master Spade »

J.Noah >> A.Davis

:D
I would rather DIE Standing on my Feet, than Live Life on my Knees!!
Deez
G.O.A.T.

Post by Deez »

Master Spade wrote:J.Noah >> A.Davis

:D
:mjlaugh:
l3bron
Reigning WIS Champion

Post by l3bron »

http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/IND/2015.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Nope, 7th. They were 4th in opponents PPG.
l3bron
Reigning WIS Champion

Post by l3bron »

vcsgrizzfan wrote:
l3bron wrote:
vcsgrizzfan wrote:
You screwed up. I can read just fine. Your ego is a little out of control as usual. Admitting a mistake should not be so difficult.
Point out my "mistake."

You picked Hibbert as the best big in the league and claimed he was the reason for their success and shit on his supporting players.

Fact is, he's never had a better defensive rating than George and was usually even the same or lower than Mahinmi for goodness sakes.

He's a good rim protector but his lack of mobility and resulting lack of ability to guard in space or the screen and roll as well as more mobile bigs is another issue.

You essentially completely ignored the offensive side of the ball because it didn't fit your narrative and you wanted to be the clever kid in class.

I never claimed Hibber was the best big in the league. What in God's name are you talking about? Here, I'll show you the quote your room temperature IQ is having difficulty understanding.
l3bron wrote:
wailuaFC wrote:
swampgator wrote:
I don't think he is quite there yet, but the progress so far/potential is to be as you say.
I think he impacts the game more on the defensive side of the ball then any big right now, with his combination of foot speed, length, and jumping ability he has the opportunity to be down right amazing on that side of the ball. Add in his versatility on offense and ability to handle and pass the ball well, I cant put anyone above him. Admittedly he is my favorite player right now so that may be skewing my judgement but Im sticking to my guns
Roy Hibbert.
See how I BOLDED I think he impacts the game more on the defensive side of the ball then any big right now? I was simply referring to his defensive prowess. Everything else I had said up to that point was correct. Hibbert was the anchor to a historic defensive team and impacted the game more on the defensive end than Davis had at the time of the post.

Defensive rating is incredibly flawed and you're proven incapable of using it within context if you're seriously suggesting Mahinmi was ever on Roy Hibbert's tier defensively.

More like, I was strictly speaking of a good defensive player's strengths which is why I "completely ignored the offensive side of the ball." The situation didn't call for it because I never claimed Hibbert was better than Davis OFFENSIVELY.

You jumped the gun and tried to be a smartass so you could one-up me and instead exposed yourself as a jackass. I expect it to go over King Deez's head (or whatever his name is) because he probably needed Night School to graduate High School but for a "mature, calm and sophisticated" user as yourself? Not your best moment tomato-can. But thanks for playing.
Deez
G.O.A.T.

Post by Deez »

l3bron wrote:
vcsgrizzfan wrote:
l3bron wrote: Point out my "mistake."

I never claimed Hibber was the best big in the league. What in God's name are you talking about? Here, I'll show you the quote your room temperature IQ is having difficulty understanding.
l3bron wrote:
wailuaFC wrote: I think he impacts the game more on the defensive side of the ball then any big right now, with his combination of foot speed, length, and jumping ability he has the opportunity to be down right amazing on that side of the ball. Add in his versatility on offense and ability to handle and pass the ball well, I cant put anyone above him. Admittedly he is my favorite player right now so that may be skewing my judgement but Im sticking to my guns
Roy Hibbert.
See how I BOLDED I think he impacts the game more on the defensive side of the ball then any big right now? I was simply referring to his defensive prowess. Everything else I had said up to that point was correct. Hibbert was the anchor to a historic defensive team and impacted the game more on the defensive end than Davis had at the time of the post.

Defensive rating is incredibly flawed and you're proven incapable of using it within context if you're seriously suggesting Mahinmi was ever on Roy Hibbert's tier defensively.

More like, I was strictly speaking of a good defensive player's strengths which is why I "completely ignored the offensive side of the ball." The situation didn't call for it because I never claimed Hibbert was better than Davis OFFENSIVELY.

You jumped the gun and tried to be a smartass so you could one-up me and instead exposed yourself as a jackass. I expect it to go over King Deez's head (or whatever his name is) because he probably needed Night School to graduate High School but for a "mature, calm and sophisticated" user as yourself? Not your best moment tomato-can. But thanks for playing.
I'm smarter than you will ever be clown. The fact that you think Roy is a better big man than Davis makes me question if you are retarded.
l3bron
Reigning WIS Champion

Post by l3bron »

King Deez wrote:I'm smarter than you will ever be clown. The fact that you think Roy is a better big man than Davis makes me question if you are retarded.
I broke it down in the very post you quoted and your dumbass still thinks I was calling Hibbert a better basketball player than Davis.

Be proud that you managed to graduate from High School. Your parents must be very proud of all the hard work you put into Adult School.
Y2K

Post by Y2K »

Vogel and his staff.