MJ/Kobe/Lebron: Playoff success / competition

Talk about anything here.
Y2K
One Mizzou. Then. Now. Always.

Re: MJ/Kobe/Lebron: Playoff success / competition

Post by Y2K »

fpliii wrote:The thing about Jordan and the 80s, is that there were more talented squads back then than there were in the 90s for sure, a few super teams.

For MJ personally though, I think it was particularly tough to contend in the very late 80s and early 90s as well. His team did get better as Pippen and Grant developed and the great teams of the 80s died down, but the Pistons brought zone defense into the league. The Lakers under Dunleavy and the Cavs would follow suit. Miami, Seattle, and the Riley Knicks also had good schemes. MJ wouldn't have won six championships in the 80s, but I think the driving, attacking Jordan would've done pretty well (though another team might've come up with "The Jordan Rules" sooner).
Agreed.

Basically When Jordan's Bulls were good enough to win it all, they won. They weren't good enough until 1991.

I'm a baaaddd motherfucker!!
rileymartin
Mount Rushmore

Post by rileymartin »

y2ktors wrote:
fpliii wrote:The thing about Jordan and the 80s, is that there were more talented squads back then than there were in the 90s for sure, a few super teams.

For MJ personally though, I think it was particularly tough to contend in the very late 80s and early 90s as well. His team did get better as Pippen and Grant developed and the great teams of the 80s died down, but the Pistons brought zone defense into the league. The Lakers under Dunleavy and the Cavs would follow suit. Miami, Seattle, and the Riley Knicks also had good schemes. MJ wouldn't have won six championships in the 80s, but I think the driving, attacking Jordan would've done pretty well (though another team might've come up with "The Jordan Rules" sooner).
Agreed.

Basically When Jordan's Bulls were good enough to win it all, they won. They weren't good enough until 1991.
I see, but LeBron is judged poorly by his time in a shitty place like Cleveland despite having subpar teammates lol.

Gotcha.
Y2K

Post by Y2K »

l3bron wrote:
y2ktors wrote:
l3bron wrote:What great great competition did Kobe face? The Lakers were far and away the best team in the league when he was winning titles.
Three-peat Lakers did have some good competition. Can't really speak too highly on his last 2 rings.
I thought OP was only counting the years where Kobe was the best player on his team?

inb4bidness
You could be correct. I'm just not sure if he was or not. I personally thought your hometown boys were better than the 2002 and 03 Lakers. But things don't always fall into place.

Y2K

Post by Y2K »

rileymartin wrote:
y2ktors wrote:

Agreed.

I see, but LeBron is judged poorly by his time in a shitty place like Cleveland despite having subpar teammates lol.

Gotcha.
Some ppl are a bit harsh, but truthfully LeBron had major holes in his game. He is also to blame for the failures in Cleveland.

Da Stars.
Tight wad. Penny pincher. Mr. Dollar Theater.

Post by Da Stars. »

rileymartin wrote:
elmerjfudd wrote:
Shill Jackson wrote: the 90s NBA was weaker than any other decade you can name
It was greater than the 70s... but as far as whole decades go... 90s was the 2nd weakest if we're not counting the 50s
Jordan played in the 80's and the 2000's and he couldn't win.

MJ is an all time great, but he just couldn't hack in a real decade like the 80's.

Real decade. At least he never ran like a fucking GCC like LeChump james did.
l3bron
Reigning WIS Champion

Post by l3bron »

y2ktors wrote:
rileymartin wrote:
y2ktors wrote: Agreed.

Gotcha.
Some ppl are a bit harsh, but truthfully LeBron had major holes in his game. He is also to blame for the failures in Cleveland.
Is it fair to call them "failures?" Those teams would be in the lottery if not for Lebron.
Come at the King, you best not miss.
manchild98
Hidden Member

Post by manchild98 »

On September 12, 1984, Michael Jordan signed his first NBA contract with the Chicago Bulls. It was a 5 year guaranteed contract with two option years. The whopping total was for a little over $6 million and that included a $1 million signing bonus. At the time, it was the third highest contract ever given to a rookie (behind Ralph Sampson and Hakeem Olajuwon). In 1984 the salary cap for the entire team was only $3.8 million. But for Thorn and the Bulls, they thought Jordan and his $1 million a year salary was worth it.

That doesn't sound like a guy who had an option to leave and go elsewhere.
rileymartin
Mount Rushmore

Post by rileymartin »

y2ktors wrote:
rileymartin wrote:
y2ktors wrote: Agreed.

Gotcha.
And Jordan didnt have any holes in his game his first 5 or 7 years in the league?
And, LeBron is to blame for having subpar teammates in Cleveland, and an inept front office?
Repeat3peat
Repeat Fantasy BBall Champ

Post by Repeat3peat »

rileymartin wrote:
y2ktors wrote:
rileymartin wrote: I see, but LeBron is judged poorly by his time in a shitty place like Cleveland despite having subpar teammates lol.

Gotcha.
And Jordan didnt have any holes in his game his first 5 or 7 years in the league?
And, LeBron is to blame for having subpar teammates in Cleveland, and an inept front office?
A-Bronze had PLENTY of help relative to his competition level
B-Career choker Dirk and the Mavs say........HELLO

roflmao
Y2K

Post by Y2K »

elmerjfudd wrote:
Shill Jackson wrote:
Da Stars. wrote:
Please describe the term weaker.
the 90s NBA was weaker than any other decade you can name
It was greater than the 70s... but as far as whole decades go... 90s was the 2nd weakest if we're not counting the 50s
The 00s were NOT better than the 90s at all.

Repeat3peat
Repeat Fantasy BBall Champ

Post by Repeat3peat »

y2ktors wrote:
elmerjfudd wrote:
Shill Jackson wrote: the 90s NBA was weaker than any other decade you can name
The 00s were NOT better than the 90s at all.
and it's not close......

The present decade has continued backwards.
Y2K

Post by Y2K »

l3bron wrote:
y2ktors wrote:
rileymartin wrote: I see, but LeBron is judged poorly by his time in a shitty place like Cleveland despite having subpar teammates lol.

Gotcha.
Is it fair to call them "failures?" Those teams would be in the lottery if not for Lebron.
They won 60+ games twice and didn't make it to the finals. Now LeBron did wonders in Cleveland. But honestly answer this: Is he a better player now OR was he a better player back then?
Last edited by Y2K on Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Y2K

Post by Y2K »

rileymartin wrote:
y2ktors wrote:

Gotcha.
A. I said MAJOR holes.
B. Is LeBron not at fault for disappearing in crucial moments of playoff games? For having ZERO post game up until 2 years ago? For having an inconsistent jump shot?

thedangerouskitchen
G.O.A.T.

Post by thedangerouskitchen »

BUMP
"Today's NBA is soft, the Defense is weak, and the rules 'really' favor the Offense."

"Lebron doesn’t guard for a full game and our game plan was to get him to play defense and he left me open all game."
ripper76
Accounts will be settled.

Post by ripper76 »

thedangerouskitchen wrote:BUMP
You in the mood for threads being bumped today?
thedangerouskitchen
G.O.A.T.

ripper76 wrote:
You don't find this topic even the least bit interesting...?
"Today's NBA is soft, the Defense is weak, and the rules 'really' favor the Offense."

"Lebron doesn’t guard for a full game and our game plan was to get him to play defense and he left me open all game."
ripper76

Post by ripper76 »

thedangerouskitchen wrote:
ripper76 wrote:

That's a strange answer to my question.
Y2K

Post by Y2K »

:pop2:

thedangerouskitchen
G.O.A.T.

ripper76 wrote:
ripper76 wrote:

A strange answer to a stupid question...

ripper76

Post by ripper76 »

ripper76 wrote:

A strange answer to a stupid question...
Why are you getting hostile now?