WhatIfSports Draft - complete

Talk about anything here.
Ghostown42
All-Time Great

Re: WhatIfSports Draft, Round 2-all defense, bush/Rob's pick

Post by Ghostown42 »

Once we are done with the draft, you will post your depth chart in a new thread. You will post how many minutes you want each player to play each game. (Maximum allowed is 36 minutes, minimum allowed is 1 minute). Here's an example of what a depth chart would look like. This was my team last time we did a whatifsports.com league, back in July 2013:

......PG.....................SG..............................SF...........................PF.............................C
Payton – 33.......Jordan – 26..............Barkley – 29..............Lucas – 33................Ewing - 36
Jordan – 10.......Dantley – 12.............Dantley – 14............Hawkins – 7............Mutombo - 8
Penny – 5..........Carter – 6................Richmond – 3...........Johnston – 4............Johnston - 4
.........................Penny – 4...................Carter – 2...............Barkley – 4

Notice how no player is assigned to play more than 36 minutes. Each position has a total of 48 minutes, that's important. And it's okay to assign players to more than one position. Notice how I have Jordan playing both PG and SG, Dantley playing both SG and SF, and Barkley playing both SF and PF. But the combined minutes for one player do not exceed36. NOTE: This does not mean that these minutes are set in stone, it's just a guideline for the simulation. Sometimes, a player assigned 36 minutes might play 30 minutes in a blowout. Sometimes some of your players might play +/- 2 minutes in each simulation. That's not a big deal. For your "coaching guidelines" though, you can't assign a player more than 36 minutes.

The simulations for the regular season will go by quick. It will only take about 2 days. I will update the standings regularly as the regular season goes along. Each team will face each other 6 times, for a total of 84 regular season games. The top 8 teams with the best regular season records will make the playoffs, and will be seeded 1-8 based on overall record.

Once the playoffs start, I will post the box score results of each playoff game. If you want to slightly tweek your depth chart for a playoff series match-up (if you make the playoffs) that's fine. Just let me know in advance what you want your new depth chart to look like. But still, no player allowed to be assigned more than 36 minutes. Every playoff series will be best of 7.

And @AbeVigodaLive this is what I will do for the simulations:

I will go to whatifsports.com and create the fantasy teams. Only 3 NBA fantasy teams can be made at 1 time. So, I will pick 3 teams to face each other. After those match-ups are finished (each team will face each other 6 times), I will post the ongoing results in the simulation thread and then select the next 3 teams to face each other. If after the first set of simulated games, you don't like your team's record and want to tweek your depth chart, that's fine, just send me a PM with your new depth chart. And the next time your team will be simulated, I will use your new depth chart.....izgood?

Also...you can check out how well your players will do at different positions here:

http://www.whatifsports.com/nba-l/playe ... esearch=-1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

As you can see, Larry Bird is 100% effective at SF and PF, 94% effective at PG, 97% effective at SG, and 98% effective at C. You can pretty much play him wherever you'd like in your depth chart and he'll still be a baller.

Does this help?
AbeVigodaLive
Clean-Up Crew

Post by AbeVigodaLive »

Sure. If it's not too much trouble for you.

I get the position effectiveness piece. I may decide, however, that giving Ricky Rubio 17 minutes per game to shoot 23% is simply too much. I'd hate to wait 84 games... or in the real-life Wolves' case... four seasons to figure it out.
Ghostown42
All-Time Great

Post by Ghostown42 »

AbeVigodaLive wrote:Sure. If it's not too much trouble for you.

I get the position effectiveness piece. I may decide, however, that giving Ricky Rubio 17 minutes per game to shoot 23% is simply too much. I'd hate to wait 84 games... or in the real-life Wolves' case... four seasons to figure it out.
It won't be too much trouble. The only annoying thing about doing the simulations is having to delete teams and then re-create them later. It's a bit time consuming, and kinda boring, but the draft and seeing the simulation results are fun.
FPL
Hall of Famer

Post by FPL »

AbeVigodaLive wrote:
Max wrote:
gainesvillejjstalker wrote:Can you please tell me if this will be similar to fantasy, where as we pick a starting lineup for each game? Also, how often are the games and how often can we play our regular starting 5?
All the games are simulated together. You set your players minutes once, that's it.

So no trades?
No lineup/rotation changes?

Since most of us know nothing about this simulation, is it possible to reassess everything about halfway through the season. For example, let's say I think Larry Bird can run SG or PF for me... I'd hate to waste an entire season only to learn that he does a lot better at SF only.
If you register and make your team here:

http://www.whatifsports.com/dreamteams/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You can have it play against other historic teams (or teams for other people in the league if they build their rosters) here:

http://www.whatifsports.com/nba/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ghostown42
All-Time Great

Post by Ghostown42 »

AbeVigodaLive wrote:
Bush4Ever wrote:
dwcmwa wrote:Damn, my team is gonna be GREAT

D-Rose in MVP form attacking the paint, while I have a HOF Center in Ewing swatting everything the opponent brings in.
You do realize you aren't going to be going against regular teams, right?

I really hope Walton doesn't get fake injured. I have a feeling I fucked up that pick.

In real life, Walton 77 was super duper good.
I'm pretty sure in this simulation league, every player is 100% healthy in every game. Every simulation is like it's the 1st game of the season. It resets after every game. Now, it might be possible that a player gets injured during a game, but I've never seen that happen. And if it does happen, it won't affect the next game because each simulation is independent.
Bush4Ever
Board Alpha Male

Post by Bush4Ever »

This is going to be much more constraining that I thought.

Doing some research now. I got some guys that I think will be available at my spot, but after the first two rounds, it is sort of slim pickings (relatively speaking of course).
Taking a break from the board. Please reference my last post for more details if you are interested.
Ghostown42
All-Time Great

Post by Ghostown42 »

Alright, go ahead and get us started @gainesvillejjstalker. You have the first pick until 8:10pm ET.
Ghostown42
All-Time Great

Post by Ghostown42 »

gainesvillejjstalker wrote:I pick 2010-2011 Dirk Nowitzki.
You mean 2009 Dirk Nowitzki? Dirk only played in the Olympics in 2008.
Ghostown42
All-Time Great

Post by Ghostown42 »

You'll have to choose 2008 or 2009 Dirk because he was only in the Olympics in 2008.
Max
Coach

Post by Max »

This category confuses me.
l3bron
Reigning WIS Champion

Post by l3bron »

Meh, 2009 Dirk is better than 2011 Dirk anyways.
Come at the King, you best not miss.
Ghostown42
All-Time Great

Post by Ghostown42 »

That's true, l3Bron. Ok, I pick '13 Durant.

@AlaskaHawks you are now on the clock. You have until 8:30pm ET.
Last edited by Ghostown42 on Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ghostown42
All-Time Great

Post by Ghostown42 »

Max wrote:This category confuses me.
Pick an NBA player who has been in the Olympics before. You can choose the NBA year either before or after he was in the Olympics. Since Dirk was in the Olympics in 2008, your choices are 2008 or 2009 Dirk.

If a player has been in multiple Olympics (like Jordan, for example), if Jordan wasn't picked yet, you could choose 85 Jordan (his rookie year), 92 Jordan, or 93 Jordan.
Last edited by Ghostown42 on Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AlaskaHawks
Mount Rushmore

Post by AlaskaHawks »

FUCK!
"The idea is not to block every shot. The idea is to make your opponent believe you might block every shot."
Bill Russell

"I'm just 'bout that action, boss"
L.O.B. = Love our Brothers.
l3bron
Reigning WIS Champion

Re: WhatIfSports Draft, Round 3-Olympians, AlaskaHawks's pic

Post by l3bron »

Yeah, there was no way in hell Durant was falling to me lol
Come at the King, you best not miss.
AlaskaHawks
Mount Rushmore

Post by AlaskaHawks »

What's my timeline? I'm working on it. Trying to decide.
"The idea is not to block every shot. The idea is to make your opponent believe you might block every shot."
Bill Russell

Ghostown42
All-Time Great

Post by Ghostown42 »

AlaskaHawks wrote:What's my timeline? I'm working on it. Trying to decide.
You have 27 minutes.
Ghostown42
All-Time Great

Post by Ghostown42 »

gainesvillejjstalker wrote:2007-08 Dirk.

Sorry.
Cool, no prob.
vcsgrizzfan
Mount Rushmore

Post by vcsgrizzfan »

I hated my draft position in day 1, and I'm not too thrilled about today either. I think being early on day 1 and 3 were big advantages, although I guess we will see.
AlaskaHawks
Mount Rushmore

Post by AlaskaHawks »

00-01 Vince Carter.
Bill Russell