Been intermittent fasting for a few weeks and apparently artificial sweeteners break the fast

Talk about anything here.
CleveTown™
Three-Time Fantasy Champion King

Re: Been intermittent fasting for a few weeks and apparently artificial sweeteners break the fa

Post by CleveTown™ »

vcsgrizzfan wrote:
LNS wrote:
vcsgrizzfan wrote:I've seen different takes on that, and I believe you're fine with your sweetener. I don't use any and drink black coffee and some tea before I start eating around 4 in the afternoon.

It is true that sweeteners cause an insulin response but you still haven't given you're body an actual carbohydrate to use as fuel. Your body has to continue to use either stored glycogen or fat as fuel.

What’s your eating window, typically? I’m honestly loving this so far. I don’t feel tired during the day at all because I’m not eating during my lunch break anymore, and my mental clarity has actually improved. I’m doing a bastardized version of OMAD. Depending on my schedule I’ll eat between 8am-10am and I’ll have a high calorie protein shake, a kale salad, and some lean meat w/grilled vegetables. That sets me up for the day and I’m good to go after that, I won’t eat again till the next day.
My eating window is typically a little after 4 till around 8. I tend to start with a mix of raw veggies. Stuff like grape tomatoes (yeah, I know it's technically a fruit), sliced cucumber, sliced peppers... and maybe a boiled egg or two. I make liberal use of Himalayan salt and cracked pepper. My blood pressure is very low and I think salt tends to be villainized unnecessarily. Maybe 90 minutes or so later, I'll have my main meal and then I'll have something else again around 8 or so. I have either some nuts or an avocado pretty much every day to make sure I get a decent amount of healthy fat. My main meal always includes a meat entrée (unless I'm eating out where I'll often get fish, but I can't cook fish for shit myself).

I've been doing this so long now that I literally almost never even think of food until around 3, and that's if I haven't decided what I'm going to have yet and I need to pick something up. It's amazing how after a while, once you break the associations between certain times of day and eating how quickly old hunger patterns fall away.
:shock: I could only dream of having a healthy eating lifestyle like you. This seems inconceivable to me. I couldn't stick to it. Ever.
October 16th, 2020. Thank you Pastor John (P)
January 7th. (D)
AlaskaHawks
Mount Rushmore

Re: Been intermittent fasting for a few weeks and apparently artificial sweeteners break the fa

Post by AlaskaHawks »

LNS wrote:
Repeat3peat wrote:
vcsgrizzfan wrote:I've seen different takes on that, and I believe you're fine with your sweetener. I don't use any and drink black coffee and some tea before I start eating around 4 in the afternoon.

It is true that sweeteners cause an insulin response but you still haven't given you're body an actual carbohydrate to use as fuel. Your body has to continue to use either stored glycogen or fat as fuel.

I think it's been over a decade since I have eaten anything before 4-5...Just started naturally and was never big on breakfast to begin with. I love breakfast food, I just don't feel like eating after I get up....for like awhile.

There is times I start to feel like shit later on, then stop and think...did I eat anything yet today....the answer is usually no, so I eat something high in protein and it goes away quick. I can't imagine that is actually "good for you" either....but I don't KNOW.

My daughters both hate eating in the morning. I’ve made them big breakfast of eggs, veggie sausage patties (they like that disgusting shit), potatoes, etc., and too many times they’ve both taken a few bites and been done lol. And it’s not my cooking because they have the same reaction to waffles, cereal, even donuts. So I stopped making them breakfast in the morning and at first my wife freaked because she was one of those “it’s the most important meal of the day!” people, but they haven’t had breakfast before school all of this year and have been just fine.
According to my mom, skipping breakfast has been shown to shorten life expectancy by several years.

I rarely eat breakfast so she used to get on me about it.

I know the Japanese advocate chugging a large glass of water first thing in the am to get the organs all woken up and getting your metabolism started.
"The idea is not to block every shot. The idea is to make your opponent believe you might block every shot."
Bill Russell

"I'm just 'bout that action, boss"
L.O.B. = Love our Brothers.
CleveTown™
Three-Time Fantasy Champion King

Post by CleveTown™ »

AlaskaHawks wrote:
LNS wrote:
Repeat3peat wrote:

I think it's been over a decade since I have eaten anything before 4-5...Just started naturally and was never big on breakfast to begin with. I love breakfast food, I just don't feel like eating after I get up....for like awhile.

There is times I start to feel like shit later on, then stop and think...did I eat anything yet today....the answer is usually no, so I eat something high in protein and it goes away quick. I can't imagine that is actually "good for you" either....but I don't KNOW.

My daughters both hate eating in the morning. I’ve made them big breakfast of eggs, veggie sausage patties (they like that disgusting shit), potatoes, etc., and too many times they’ve both taken a few bites and been done lol. And it’s not my cooking because they have the same reaction to waffles, cereal, even donuts. So I stopped making them breakfast in the morning and at first my wife freaked because she was one of those “it’s the most important meal of the day!” people, but they haven’t had breakfast before school all of this year and have been just fine.
According to my mom, skipping breakfast has been shown to shorten life expectancy by several years.

I know the Japanese advocate chugging a large glass of water first thing in the am to get the organs all woken up and getting your metabolism started
:L
October 16th, 2020. Thank you Pastor John (P)
January 7th. (D)
vcsgrizzfan
Mount Rushmore

Post by vcsgrizzfan »

AlaskaHawks wrote:
LNS wrote:
Repeat3peat wrote:

I know the Japanese advocate chugging a large glass of water first thing in the am to get the organs all woken up and getting your metabolism started.
No offense to your mom, but I think that's absolute bullcrap. The General Mills and the Kellogg's of the world used to spread a crap load of misinformation about breakfast and what to eat. It's almost inconceivable to me now that people thought Cheerios could be a better choice than steak, eggs and sliced tomato, but that's the world we live in.

We are products of millions of years of evolution and not just the agrarian society of the last ten thousand years or so. We often fasted for very long periods because we HAD to, because there was no food to be had for a while at different times of year. We are genetically adapted to it. The notion that we were meant to have 3 squares a day and two snacks etc... is just ridiculous propaganda spread by people who have a vested interest (read profit incentive) to make you believe that.
AlaskaHawks
Mount Rushmore

Post by AlaskaHawks »

vcsgrizzfan wrote:
AlaskaHawks wrote:
LNS wrote:

No offense to your mom, but I think that's absolute bullcrap. The General Mills and the Kellogg's of the world used to spread a crap load of misinformation about breakfast and what to eat. It's almost inconceivable to me now that people thought Cheerios could be a better choice than steak, eggs and sliced tomato, but that's the world we live in.

We are products of millions of years of evolution and not just the agrarian society of the last ten thousand years or so. We often fasted for very long periods because we HAD to, because there was no food to be had for a while at different times of year. We are genetically adapted to it. The notion that we were meant to have 3 squares a day and two snacks etc... is just ridiculous propaganda spread by people who have a vested interest (read profit incentive) to make you believe that.
I'm sure she saw it on Dr. Oz or something like that. Who knows, but it's just never been a meal I can really get into. I like an occasional breakfast on weekends though. After the gym in the AM I will do a protein shake and some fruit these days.

I've tried the fasting thing before but I just get light-headed and really lose energy about 2/3 if I don't eat something. There have been days where I'm just so busy I don't eat until later in the day or don't eat at all, but that's rare.

There are likely some merits to fasting. I know you advocate it/participate in it.
To each their own for the most part. I just try to eat "right" 85% of the time and I slack off some on the weekends. It's a balance for me, and that seems to work. I'm in good shape overall.
"The idea is not to block every shot. The idea is to make your opponent believe you might block every shot."
Bill Russell

Da Stars.
Tight wad. Penny pincher. Mr. Dollar Theater.

Post by Da Stars. »

vcsgrizzfan wrote:
AlaskaHawks wrote:
LNS wrote:

Puck you buddy. Now I will have steak and eggs on the brain all day long.
vcsgrizzfan
Mount Rushmore

Post by vcsgrizzfan »

AlaskaHawks wrote:
vcsgrizzfan wrote:
AlaskaHawks wrote:

I'm sure she saw it on Dr. Oz or something like that. Who knows, but it's just never been a meal I can really get into. I like an occasional breakfast on weekends though. After the gym in the AM I will do a protein shake and some fruit these days.

I've tried the fasting thing before but I just get light-headed and really lose energy about 2/3 if I don't eat something. There have been days where I'm just so busy I don't eat until later in the day or don't eat at all, but that's rare.

There are likely some merits to fasting. I know you advocate it/participate in it.
To each their own for the most part. I just try to eat "right" 85% of the time and I slack off some on the weekends. It's a balance for me, and that seems to work. I'm in good shape overall.
One of the problems with a statement like that is that there are way too many confounders that can screw up the data, even if its being honestly gathered (as opposed to with a bias if the people gathering the data have a vested interest). For example, in this case, let's say that they did an observational study that found that eating breakfast increased life span, the correlation itself is not particularly meaningful. Did the people who skipped breakfast tend to be smokers more than the others? Did they exercise? What were there other dietary habits? There are a huge number of confounders that are almost certainly not being accounted for.

And totally off topic, but Dr. Oz says some amazingly stupid stuff sometimes. He's got a good gig, but man he's spread a lot of bullshit over the years.
AbeVigodaLive
Clean-Up Crew

Post by AbeVigodaLive »

Why is the OP fasting?
AlaskaHawks
Mount Rushmore

Post by AlaskaHawks »

AbeVigodaLive wrote:Why is the OP fasting?
Ramadan.
Bill Russell

Bush4Ever35
Hall of Famer

Post by Bush4Ever35 »

Grizz's last post made me feel really frisky.
gaskill15
You go, we go... forever

Post by gaskill15 »

No idea. He's married. He's supposed to let himself go.
LNS
Boxing Knowledge Champ

Post by LNS »

Not for weight loss. Although if that’s a byproduct then I’ll take it. I was having issues staying awake at work around the 11pm-2am portion of my shift. I’d go to my car and sleep for 30 min on my break but it just wasn’t helping. I tried to chalk it up to just “getting old” but that seemed ridiculous. So I thought a drastic dietary overhaul was necessary. So far so good...
Alex_Murphy
Clean-Up Crew

Post by Alex_Murphy »

Stop. Eating.
AbeVigodaLive
Clean-Up Crew

Post by AbeVigodaLive »

LNS wrote:

Not for weight loss. Although if that’s a byproduct then I’ll take it. I was having issues staying awake at work around the 11pm-2am portion of my shift. I’d go to my car and sleep for 30 min on my break but it just wasn’t helping. I tried to chalk it up to just “getting old” but that seemed ridiculous. So I thought a drastic dietary overhaul was necessary. So far so good...

Sleep issue... or diet issue?
LNS
Boxing Knowledge Champ

Post by LNS »

AbeVigodaLive wrote:
LNS wrote:

Sleep issue... or diet issue?

I was getting enough sleep, or felt that I was. My sleep patterns have remained unchanged during this little fasting experiment and the lack of energy at that time frame is gone.