Talk about anything here.
AlaskaHawks
Mount Rushmore

Re: I did my taxes today...

Post by AlaskaHawks »

denali4eva wrote:
AlaskaHawks wrote:
denali4eva wrote:
Oh that's okay, I've been doing it this way since I can remember and I don't mind that at all...I have a few CD's that I have going in my favor...And besides, it's nice to see a of my coins at the end of the year... :)
Some people prefer to lose out on money they could earn on the time value of their money. I'm not one of those people.
Again, it's not a big deal to me so, two each his/her own... ;)
Nice. Good looking car!
"The idea is not to block every shot. The idea is to make your opponent believe you might block every shot."
Bill Russell

"I'm just 'bout that action, boss"
L.O.B. = Love our Brothers.
AlaskaHawks
Mount Rushmore

Post by AlaskaHawks »

deezna10 wrote:
AlaskaHawks wrote:
deezna10 wrote: It all equals out in the end. I'd rather pay in more and live off that and get a lump sum at the end rather than getting nothing back.
It doesn't equal out. If you guys are okay missing out on your own money, that's fine. I just don't understand people that are okay donating money to the government.
I'd rather get a couple thousand back at the end of the year rather than maybe spending that during the year and getting 0 back.
Most people who are poor with their finances are the same way.
"The idea is not to block every shot. The idea is to make your opponent believe you might block every shot."
Bill Russell

Da Stars.
Tight wad. Penny pincher. Mr. Dollar Theater.

Post by Da Stars. »

Don't forget to do your state taxes :lol: :roll:
denali4eva
Queen Bee

Post by denali4eva »

Da Stars. wrote:Don't forget to do your state taxes :lol: :roll:

I NEVER do those... :roll:
Da Stars.

Post by Da Stars. »

denali4eva wrote:
Da Stars. wrote:Don't forget to do your state taxes :lol: :roll:

I NEVER do those... :roll:

Cheating on the state of TX. Shame on you. Go to Missouri and try that. I dare ya. LOL.
Buckets
Repeat Fantasy BBall Champ

Post by Buckets »

AlaskaHawks wrote:
deezna10 wrote:
AlaskaHawks wrote: It doesn't equal out. If you guys are okay missing out on your own money, that's fine. I just don't understand people that are okay donating money to the government.
I'd rather get a couple thousand back at the end of the year rather than maybe spending that during the year and getting 0 back.
Unless you are an avid stock trader, you're missing out on what 1%? (current average interest rate on 1-year cd's). So if you get back $2k in refunds, then you missed out on $20. I'll take the assurance of a refund and guaranteed $2k in the spring over a missed $20 or loss in stock returns.
AlaskaHawks
Mount Rushmore

Post by AlaskaHawks »

Buckets wrote:
AlaskaHawks wrote:
deezna10 wrote: I'd rather get a couple thousand back at the end of the year rather than maybe spending that during the year and getting 0 back.
Unless you are an avid stock trader, you're missing out on what 1%? (current average interest rate on 1-year cd's). So if you get back $2k in refunds, then you missed out on $20. I'll take the assurance of a refund and guaranteed $2k in the spring over a missed $20 or loss in stock returns.
If you know what the time value of money means, you'd understand. Sorry if you don't.
Bill Russell

denali4eva
Queen Bee

Post by denali4eva »

OMG guys, that's enough...This was suppose to be a happy thread for me for crying out loud! :(
AlaskaHawks
Mount Rushmore

Post by AlaskaHawks »

denali4eva wrote:OMG guys, that's enough...This was suppose to be a happy thread for me for crying out loud! :(

You should buy American.
Bill Russell

Deez
G.O.A.T.

Post by Deez »

denali4eva wrote:OMG guys, that's enough...This was suppose to be a happy thread for me for crying out loud! :(
What kind of Denali? Yukon Denali, Sierra Denali.... ?
Da Stars.

Post by Da Stars. »

Congrats on getting a good refund and all. But you missed the memo. It is pick on Denali day.
Buckets

Post by Buckets »

AlaskaHawks wrote:
Buckets wrote:
AlaskaHawks wrote: Most people who are poor with their finances are the same way.
If you know what the time value of money means, you'd understand. Sorry if you don't.
What are you trying to prove? That you missed 365 days of spending or investing your money elsewhere? Yes I understand that you are in essence providing a $2k loan to the government for 365 days. And like I said, if you choose to invest that money elsewhere you can earn 1% through the bank or higher returns through the stock market. Your time value of money explanation only has a bearing of 365 days or however long it takes to file taxes for each year of refund. So instead of investing that $1 on January 1, 2013, I invested it in January 1, 2014.

I ran an annuity calculation of the $20 saved each year for 30 years and gave a moderate before tax return rate of 8% and came up with a total value of $1,800. So congrats, that $600 you invested ($20 each year for 30 years at 8%) basically trippled to $1,800. But sorry I'm not impressed with the $1,200 return over 30 years or $40 per year.
AlaskaHawks
Mount Rushmore

Post by AlaskaHawks »

Buckets wrote:
AlaskaHawks wrote:
Buckets wrote: Unless you are an avid stock trader, you're missing out on what 1%? (current average interest rate on 1-year cd's). So if you get back $2k in refunds, then you missed out on $20. I'll take the assurance of a refund and guaranteed $2k in the spring over a missed $20 or loss in stock returns.
What are you trying to prove? That you missed 365 days of spending or investing your money elsewhere? Yes I understand that you are in essence providing a $2k loan to the government for 365 days. And like I said, if you choose to invest that money elsewhere you can earn 1% through the bank or higher returns through the stock market. Your time value of money explanation only has a bearing of 365 days or however long it takes to file taxes for each year of refund. So instead of investing that $1 on January 1, 2013, I invested it in January 1, 2014.

I ran an annuity calculation of the $20 saved each year for 30 years and gave a moderate before tax return rate of 8% and came up with a return of $1,800. So congrats, that $600 you invested ($20 each year for 30 years at 8%) basically trippled to $1,800. But sorry I'm not impressed with the $1,200 return over 30 years or $40 per year.
1% is pathetic. Anyone who has money tied up at 1% doesn't know what they're doing. There are many options out there right now providing a higher rate of return.
Bill Russell

denali4eva
Queen Bee

Post by denali4eva »

AlaskaHawks wrote:

You should buy American.
I think I should buy what I want, right?

I'm not in your pockets telling you what to buy now am I? :P
AlaskaHawks
Mount Rushmore

Post by AlaskaHawks »

I'm gonna respectfully bow out of this thread. Denali asked nicely.
Bill Russell

denali4eva
Queen Bee

Post by denali4eva »

Da Stars. wrote:

Congrats on getting a good refund and all. But you missed the memo. It is pick on Denali day.
Well you bitches better back up off me with the quickness... :lol:
denali4eva
Queen Bee

Post by denali4eva »

AlaskaHawks wrote:I'm gonna respectfully bow out of this thread. Denali asked nicely.
It's cool AH because I do appreciate you answering my initial question but then, you went left...lol
Buckets

Post by Buckets »

AlaskaHawks wrote:
Buckets wrote:
AlaskaHawks wrote: If you know what the time value of money means, you'd understand. Sorry if you don't.

I ran an annuity calculation of the $20 saved each year for 30 years and gave a moderate before tax return rate of 8% and came up with a return of $1,800. So congrats, that $600 you invested ($20 each year for 30 years at 8%) basically trippled to $1,800. But sorry I'm not impressed with the $1,200 return over 30 years or $40 per year.
1% is pathetic. Anyone who has money tied up at 1% doesn't know what they're doing. There are many options out there right now providing a higher rate of return.
Yes but those options involve more risk. People who prefer refunds are likely risk averse and therefore wouldn't choose the high risk investments. Remember also, if you lose money on those investments well then the $2k refund person will be ahead. I get what you are saying but the time value of money theory on refunds is marginal at best for the average person
ripper76
Accounts will be settled.

Post by ripper76 »

The very idea of income taxes is offensive and should never have been implemented. It was left out of the Constitution for good reason.

The 16th amendment should never have existed and should be repealed. The 17th is also abhorrent.