2015 Anger General Greatest post-merger Players of All Time #3

Talk about anything here.
thedangerouskitchen
G.O.A.T.

Re: 2015 Anger General Greatest post-merger Players of All Time #3

Post by thedangerouskitchen »

y2ktors wrote:
thedangerouskitchen wrote:Kobe was a second-fiddle half his career... no way he belongs in the same tier as Magic, Bird, Shaq, Jabbar, Dream, et al.

That said, put me down for Larry Legend at #3.
That second fiddle turned out to be the 2nd best SG of all-time. We can bash Kobe and KKs all day and night but he's earned the right to be in the conversation with these guys.
We will agree to disagree, of course.
"Today's NBA is soft, the Defense is weak, and the rules 'really' favor the Offense."

"Lebron doesn’t guard for a full game and our game plan was to get him to play defense and he left me open all game."
americaninfidel
All-Time Great

Post by americaninfidel »

thedangerouskitchen wrote:
y2ktors wrote:
thedangerouskitchen wrote:Kobe was a second-fiddle half his career... no way he belongs in the same tier as Magic, Bird, Shaq, Jabbar, Dream, et al.

That second fiddle turned out to be the 2nd best SG of all-time. We can bash Kobe and KKs all day and night but he's earned the right to be in the conversation with these guys.
Hmm, I think there's a relative consensus that Kobe was second only to Jordan at that position. Who would you put above him?
Fear is the mind killer. We are not afraid.
thedangerouskitchen
G.O.A.T.

wailuaFC wrote:

You did that on purpose right?
Magic and Kareem both won regular season and Finals MVP's while they were teammates; they were co-lead dogs the majority of their tenure together.

Kobe didn't win squat when he played alongside Shaq - except 3 "second fiddle" rings.
"Today's NBA is soft, the Defense is weak, and the rules 'really' favor the Offense."

"Lebron doesn’t guard for a full game and our game plan was to get him to play defense and he left me open all game."
thedangerouskitchen
G.O.A.T.

americaninfidel wrote:
y2ktors wrote: That second fiddle turned out to be the 2nd best SG of all-time. We can bash Kobe and KKs all day and night but he's earned the right to be in the conversation with these guys.
Hmm, I think there's a relative consensus that Kobe was second only to Jordan at that position. Who would you put above him?
Kobe holds that distinction because of "total" Ring count only, which includes 3 of his 5 as a second-banana; but as players I would take West, Wade and Drexler over Kobe if I was starting a team (just off the top of my head).

elmouse03
Mount Rushmore

Post by elmouse03 »

americaninfidel wrote:
Kobe holds that distinction because of "total" Ring count only, which includes 3 of his 5 as a second-banana; but as players I would take West, Wade and Drexler over Kobe if I was starting a team (just off the top of my head).
Drexler over Kobe?
americaninfidel
All-Time Great

Post by americaninfidel »

elmouse03 wrote:
americaninfidel wrote:
Drexler over Kobe?
Yeah, I don't get that either. West is reasonable; Wade, maybe. But I still think Kobe is better than either, and Drexler doesn't even belong in the conversation.
Fear is the mind killer. We are not afraid.
vcsgrizzfan
Mount Rushmore

Post by vcsgrizzfan »

americaninfidel wrote:
elmouse03 wrote:
Drexler over Kobe?
Yeah, I don't get that either. West is reasonable; Wade, maybe. But I still think Kobe is better than either, and Drexler doesn't even belong in the conversation.
Wade simply doesn't have the longevity to be in the conversation. His peak was admirable, but very short.
elmouse03
Mount Rushmore

Post by elmouse03 »

americaninfidel wrote:
elmouse03 wrote:
Drexler over Kobe?
Everybody on the board pretty much knows why TDK hates on Kobe as well as LeBron.
Odogg
Hall of Famer

Post by Odogg »

Magic. Should have been no 2 , i was too late to vote.
elmouse03
Mount Rushmore

Post by elmouse03 »

I will vote for Magic.
wailuaFC
All-Time Great

Post by wailuaFC »

wailuaFC wrote:

You did that on purpose right?
Magic and Kareem both won regular season and Finals MVP's while they were teammates; they were co-lead dogs the majority of their tenure together.

Kobe didn't win squat when he played alongside Shaq - except 3 "second fiddle" rings.
Can you give me a breakdown and how to figure out which players are leaders, second fiddles, and co leaders? If media hardware is your only criteria, would curry and iggy be co leaders as they both won a MVP trophy as teammates?
Master Spade
Hall of Famer

Post by Master Spade »

Larry Bird

I have Bird at #2 on this list, so.....
I would rather DIE Standing on my Feet, than Live Life on my Knees!!
Y2K
One Mizzou. Then. Now. Always.

Post by Y2K »

wailuaFC wrote:
wailuaFC wrote: You did that on purpose right?

Can you give me a breakdown and how to figure out which players are leaders, second fiddles, and co leaders? If media hardware is your only criteria, would curry and iggy be co leaders as they both won a MVP trophy as teammates?
He praised Duncan for some of the same stuff that he's criticizing Kobe about. Duncan hasn't won any awards (MVP, FMVP, DPOY) since his FMVP in 2005, a span in which they've won 2 more rings. His entire resume was taken at face value and Kobe's resume isn't while being criticized for not winning any awards while Shaq was there? Why the hypocrisy? :noidea:

I'm a baaaddd motherfucker!!
thedangerouskitchen
G.O.A.T.

elmouse03 wrote:
americaninfidel wrote:
Drexler over Kobe?
As a player, hell yeah... what's the debate?

thedangerouskitchen
G.O.A.T.

wailuaFC wrote:
wailuaFC wrote: You did that on purpose right?

Which player does the opposition game-plan to stop FIRST and foremost, and which player does the opposition most often double-triple team?

Answer those questions and you know who is your top-dog.

With the Showtime Lakers it was Magic/Kareem or Kareem/Magic through the majority of their time together... in Boston it was Bird, in Chicago Jordan, in Cleveland it's LeBron... and on those 3-Peat Lakers it was clearly Shaq, hands-down.
Last edited by thedangerouskitchen on Sun Jul 19, 2015 3:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

elmouse03
Mount Rushmore

Post by elmouse03 »

elmouse03 wrote:
Drexler over Kobe?
Kobe is clearly better.
thedangerouskitchen
G.O.A.T.

y2ktors wrote:
wailuaFC wrote:

He praised Duncan for some of the same stuff that he's criticizing Kobe about. Duncan hasn't won any awards (MVP, FMVP, DPOY) since his FMVP in 2005, a span in which they've won 2 more rings. His entire resume was taken at face value and Kobe's resume isn't while being criticized for not winning any awards while Shaq was there? Why the hypocrisy? :noidea:

Duncan was NEVER a second-fiddle for half his career... so he and Kobe aren't even remotely similar.

thedangerouskitchen
G.O.A.T.

elmouse03 wrote:
elmouse03 wrote: Drexler over Kobe?
Kobe is clearly better.
Besides Volume shooting (ie; chuckin') name one facet of the game Kobe is better at than was Drexler.

elmouse03
Mount Rushmore

Post by elmouse03 »

elmouse03 wrote:
Kobe is clearly better.
Besides Volume shooting (ie; chuckin') name one facet of the game Kobe is better at than was Drexler.
Everything. Maybe other than passing and outside shooting but Drexler was better than MJ at that but nobody will choose Clyde over Jordan.
Y2K
One Mizzou. Then. Now. Always.

Post by Y2K »

Kareem from 1977-89:

5× NBA champion (1980, 1982, 1985, 1987–1988)
1× NBA Finals MVP (1985)
2× NBA Most Valuable Player (1977, 1980)
12× NBA All-Star (1977, 1979–1989)
5× All-NBA First Team (1977, 1980–1981, 1984, 1986)
4× All-NBA Second Team (1978–1979, 1983, 1985)
3× NBA All-Defensive First Team (1979–1981)
3× NBA All-Defensive Second Team (1977–1978, 1984)
2× NBA blocks leader (1979–1980)

1011 games

9021/15792 fg = 58% FG
3858/5188 ft = 74%
21901 pts = 21.7 ppg
8896 rbs = 8.8 rpg
3239 ast = 3.2 apg
2356 blk = 2.3 bpg

I'm a baaaddd motherfucker!!