3 changes to improve the NBA game greatly

Talk about anything here.
Kingcarl24
G.O.A.T.

Re: 3 changes to improve the NBA game greatly

Post by Kingcarl24 »

Refine the blocking/charging call. I'm sick of defense being played on the ground under the rim instead of players trying to block the shots.
Da Stars.
Tight wad. Penny pincher. Mr. Dollar Theater.

Post by Da Stars. »

town bidness wrote:
Da Stars. wrote:
town bidness wrote:
yes indeed. a fine post.

if they are going to make nba ready players wait and force them into the ncaa, then start paying them. why people think the ncaa has some right to exploit these kids for millions and not give them a proper piece is beyond me.

So getting a free education is not enough. Should a player(s) be paid as much being on the second team of there team.
that's the first problem, it's not a free education. athletes of the big sports are working damn hard for it and it doesnt cover the entirety of the needs of the athlete. there is a gap those on 'full ride' scholarships still have to account for in thousands of dollars in living expenses. they are not getting equal value for their labor especially for football and bball.

how money could or should be divided is something that could be figured out. it's never stopped anyone before.
Very few kids today are NBA ready in HS anyway. If I was coaching I would want to have players be with me at least 3 years maybe. It is what it is and we will never have a solution to this.
town bidness
All-Star

Post by town bidness »

Da Stars. wrote:
town bidness wrote:
Da Stars. wrote:

So getting a free education is not enough. Should a player(s) be paid as much being on the second team of there team.
that's the first problem, it's not a free education. athletes of the big sports are working damn hard for it and it doesnt cover the entirety of the needs of the athlete. there is a gap those on 'full ride' scholarships still have to account for in thousands of dollars in living expenses. they are not getting equal value for their labor especially for football and bball.

how money could or should be divided is something that could be figured out. it's never stopped anyone before.
Very few kids today are NBA ready in HS anyway. If I was coaching I would want to have players be with me at least 3 years maybe. It is what it is and we will never have a solution to this.
like anything else, that's only determined by the individual isnt it? then one cant prove whether they are or not if they dont get a chance to do it with a team willing to pay them now. if they are good enough they will do great, have an average career best case scenario or will wash out. it's the same for players with four years of college under their belt.

of course the coach wants to hold on to the players for a long as he can. it makes perfect sense for him and the school because they are getting paid millions and that's the whole point. the actual players doing the work should be getting there fair share also since it's their bodies and talent being sold. hell those full scholarships that dont even cover everything can be revoked at the will of the school at any time. whereas, they would be on the hook to pay out the remainder of the coaches contract should they want to fire him. what player is stupid enough to not know they are getting completely screwed in the current system?
Da Stars.
Tight wad. Penny pincher. Mr. Dollar Theater.

Post by Da Stars. »

town bidness wrote:
Da Stars. wrote:
town bidness wrote:

like anything else, that's only determined by the individual isnt it? then one cant prove whether they are or not if they dont get a chance to do it with a team willing to pay them now. if they are good enough they will do great, have an average career best case scenario or will wash out. it's the same for players with four years of college under their belt.

of course the coach wants to hold on to the players for a long as he can. it makes perfect sense for him and the school because they are getting paid millions and that's the whole point. the actual players doing the work should be getting there fair share also since it's their bodies and talent being sold. hell those full scholarships that dont even cover everything can be revoked at the will of the school at any time. whereas, they would be on the hook to pay out the remainder of the coaches contract should they want to fire him. what player is stupid enough to not know they are getting completely screwed in the current system?

I think it is worse in football. I do think the NCAA needs to get rid of violations for helping players in need. Namely family emergencies. It is like we hear about a coach helping out a player in different sports and then being under a NCAA violation.
town bidness
All-Star

Post by town bidness »

Da Stars. wrote:
town bidness wrote:
Da Stars. wrote:

I think it is worse in football. I do think the NCAA needs to get rid of violations for helping players in need. Namely family emergencies. It is like we hear about a coach helping out a player in different sports and then being under a NCAA violation.
that's when they do any real oversight in the first place. i agree. that whole system is fucked but people understandably love the games.
Ghostown42
All-Time Great

Post by Ghostown42 »

Kingcarl24 wrote:Refine the blocking/charging call. I'm sick of defense being played on the ground under the rim instead of players trying to block the shots.
I agree with this. Sliding into the lane, covering your nuts and flopping should not be considered good defense. Not only does playing on the ground reward players for not defending shots, it encourages flopping, especially when the refs award flopping so much. Players flop because it WORKS. The refs fall for it way too much.

I believe this needs to happen to make the NBA better.

1) Allow players to get a little emotional. I'm sick of technical fouls being called because one player stares down another, or because one player gets in another player's face after a hard foul. That's BS. The refs need to realize that there is a huge difference between a short burst of emotion and unsportsmanlike conduct. If players get in each others' faces, the refs should break it up quickly to allow the players to regain their composure. If the problem persists while the refs are in the middle of it, then call a technical. Remember when LeBron got called for a technical for looking at Jason Terry? LOL...what a joke.

2) Technical fouls need to be worth 2 FTs, not 1, and count as a personal foul as well. This would cut down on whining by a huge margin.

3) Flopping needs to be an immediate technical foul. If there are no immediate consequences for flopping, it will continue to happen. Fines for flopping should happen when games are reviewed and if the refs happened to miss a flop during a game.