Lakers to make big push for Bledsoe?

Talk about anything here.
AlaskaHawks
Mount Rushmore

Re: Lakers to make big push for Bledsoe?

Post by AlaskaHawks »

Great thread.
"The idea is not to block every shot. The idea is to make your opponent believe you might block every shot."
Bill Russell

"I'm just 'bout that action, boss"
L.O.B. = Love our Brothers.
wailuaFC
All-Time Great

Post by wailuaFC »

kobeunderbite wrote:
wailuaFC wrote:
kobeunderbite wrote: Westbrook needs max money, so either Bledsoe or a 'good role player or two' on the roster would not work with him and Love, unless Kobe was retired by then, which he likely will be.

EIther way you don't build your roster according to the timeline for a guy who will be a FA in 4 years.
I think there are better ways to spend the money that we have then settling to overpay a decent player. By overpaying bledsoe, wed make the same mistake that so many other ball clubs do, by awarding a huge contract to a player who simply isnt deserving of it, and that would tie the lakers up for a long time again. I think itd be nice to have some financial flexibility and wait for a deal that we shouldnt pass up on, rather then overpaying a player just because he is the best available. Just my .02
Really depends on who else we have. He'd be a great 3rd piece after Love and another max, or an even better 4th piece after Love, another max, and out lotto pick on a rookie contract.
I feel that he would be a great 3rd piece, but thats not the kind of guy you shell out huge money for, and thats what the lakers would have to do to get him. I understand wanting to win now and signing the best player available, but I would sit on the money for a bit for a chance to get someone that we dont have to over pay
kobeunderbite
Proud supporter of President Trump.

Post by kobeunderbite »

Buckets wrote:
kobeunderbite wrote:
wailuaFC wrote: I think there are better ways to spend the money that we have then settling to overpay a decent player. By overpaying bledsoe, wed make the same mistake that so many other ball clubs do, by awarding a huge contract to a player who simply isnt deserving of it, and that would tie the lakers up for a long time again. I think itd be nice to have some financial flexibility and wait for a deal that we shouldnt pass up on, rather then overpaying a player just because he is the best available. Just my .02
Really depends on who else we have. He'd be a great 3rd piece after Love and another max, or an even better 4th piece after Love, another max, and out lotto pick on a rookie contract.
Who else can they afford? Say they offer Bledsoe $12 million (reasonable since Tyreke Evans just got $12 per season). Then sign Love for $20 million in 2015. That puts the Lakers at $56 million for 2015 between Blesoe, Love, and Kobe. However 2016 they would have $24 million free after Kobe is done.
We're talking about Westbrook's FA which would be 2017, two years after that. And remember in addition to Bledsoe and Love, they would have a top-5 pick (Exum/Randle/Parker/Embiid/Wiggins).
kobeunderbite

Post by kobeunderbite »

wailuaFC wrote:
kobeunderbite wrote:
wailuaFC wrote: I think there are better ways to spend the money that we have then settling to overpay a decent player. By overpaying bledsoe, wed make the same mistake that so many other ball clubs do, by awarding a huge contract to a player who simply isnt deserving of it, and that would tie the lakers up for a long time again. I think itd be nice to have some financial flexibility and wait for a deal that we shouldnt pass up on, rather then overpaying a player just because he is the best available. Just my .02
I feel that he would be a great 3rd piece, but thats not the kind of guy you shell out huge money for, and thats what the lakers would have to do to get him. I understand wanting to win now and signing the best player available, but I would sit on the money for a bit for a chance to get someone that we dont have to over pay
Who cares if he is making 'huge money' if he's the third piece and doesn't prevent them from acquiring better talent? What possible difference would it make?
dunkan5rings
Hall of Famer

Post by dunkan5rings »

lol
wailuaFC
All-Time Great

Post by wailuaFC »

kobeunderbite wrote:
wailuaFC wrote:
kobeunderbite wrote: Really depends on who else we have. He'd be a great 3rd piece after Love and another max, or an even better 4th piece after Love, another max, and out lotto pick on a rookie contract.
Who cares if he is making 'huge money' if he's the third piece and doesn't prevent them from acquiring better talent? What possible difference would it make?
Wouldnt signing him to a max deal or close there to make it so we would have less money to spend on better players (westbrook, durant, love, some other FA or player that wants to be dealt to the lakers but we wouldnt have the cap space to pull it off)?
kobeunderbite

Post by kobeunderbite »

wailuaFC wrote:
kobeunderbite wrote:
wailuaFC wrote: I feel that he would be a great 3rd piece, but thats not the kind of guy you shell out huge money for, and thats what the lakers would have to do to get him. I understand wanting to win now and signing the best player available, but I would sit on the money for a bit for a chance to get someone that we dont have to over pay
Wouldnt signing him to a max deal or close there to make it so we would have less money to spend on better players (westbrook, durant, love, some other FA or player that wants to be dealt to the lakers but we wouldnt have the cap space to pull it off)?
A- No one mentioned a max deal.
B- It wouldn't. The Lakers could sign Bledsoe to a max, sign Love to a max the following offseason, and have enough money for a third max player the following offseason after Kobe retires (even with a lottery pick from this season on board).
wailuaFC
All-Time Great

Post by wailuaFC »

kobeunderbite wrote:
wailuaFC wrote:
kobeunderbite wrote: Who cares if he is making 'huge money' if he's the third piece and doesn't prevent them from acquiring better talent? What possible difference would it make?
A- No one mentioned a max deal.
B- It wouldn't. The Lakers could sign Bledsoe to a max, sign Love to a max the following offseason, and have enough money for a third max player the following offseason after Kobe retires (even with a lottery pick from this season on board).
That changes things a little, but I still think there would be better usages of money (depending on how much he wants) then bledsoe. Just my opinion
kobeunderbite

Post by kobeunderbite »

Could we theoretically sign a better player for that money? Maybe. But really, if you looked at the crop of UFA for the next couple of seasons, probably not.