Better career stats? Kareem or Jordan?

Talk about anything here.
paskeezy3000
Hall of Famer

Re: Better career stats? Kareem or Jordan?

Post by paskeezy3000 »

deezna10 wrote:
paskeezy3000 wrote:
deezna10 wrote: Have to look at more than just rings but rings are a large part no doubt. Russell has 11 rings, do you think he's better than kobe, kareem, jordan etc?
im not sure how i feel about Russell. i def respect him and his accomplishments but the fact that he played with Dr. James Naismith and shot into a peach basket hurts his all time ranking a tad IMO.
Russell was also a defensive player, if he had a better offensive game people could argue for him but i think without that part he's not better than kareem or jordan and i don't think it's close. Also like you said about Naismith and shooting into a peach basket.
these were the only rules in russells day:

1.The ball may be thrown in any direction with one or both hands.

2.The ball may be batted in any direction with one or both hands.

3.A player cannot run with the ball. The player must throw it from the spot on which he catches it, allowance to be made for a man who catches the ball when running at a good speed if he tries to stop.

4.The ball must be held in or between the hands; the arms or body must not be used for holding it.

5.No shouldering, holding, striking, pushing, or tripping in any way of an opponent. The first infringement of this rule by any person shall count as a foul; the second shall disqualify him until the next basket is made or, if there was evident intent to injure the person, for the whole of the game. No substitution shall be allowed.

6.A foul is striking at the ball with the fist, violation of rules three and four and such described in rule five.

7.If either side makes three consecutive fouls, it shall count a goal for the opponents (consecutive means without the opponents in the mean time making a foul).

8.A goal shall be made when the ball is thrown or batted from the grounds into the basket and stays there (without falling), providing those defending the goal do not touch or disturb the goal. If the ball rests on the edges, and the opponent moves the basket, it shall count as a goal.

9.When the ball goes out of bounds, it shall be thrown into the field of play and played by the first person touching it. In case of dispute the umpire shall throw it straight into the field. The thrower-in is allowed five seconds. If he holds it longer, it shall go to the opponent. If any side persists in delaying the game, the umpire shall call a foul on that side.

10.The umpire shall be the judge of the men and shall note the fouls and notify the referee when three consecutive fouls have been made. He shall have power to disqualify people according to Rule 5.

11.The referee shall be judge of the ball and shall decide when the ball is in play, in bounds, to which side it belongs, and shall keep the time. He shall decide when a goal has been made and keep account of the baskets, with any other duties that are usually performed by a scorekeeper.

12.The time shall be two fifteen-minute halves, with five minutes rest between.

13.The side making the most points in that time is declared the winner.
#1 Kareem
#2 Karl
#3 Kobe
Deez
G.O.A.T.

Post by Deez »

weak
paskeezy3000
Hall of Famer

Post by paskeezy3000 »

deezna10 wrote:weak
huh?
#1 Kareem
#2 Karl
#3 Kobe
Deez
G.O.A.T.

Post by Deez »

paskeezy3000 wrote:
huh?
NBA back then
FPL
Hall of Famer

Post by FPL »

Great thread.
paskeezy3000
Hall of Famer

Post by paskeezy3000 »

deezna10 wrote:
paskeezy3000 wrote:
huh?
NBA back then
i agree. im just glad they decided that striking the ball with your fist would be a foul early on. that could have been borderline reckless.
#1 Kareem
#2 Karl
#3 Kobe
paskeezy3000
Hall of Famer

Post by paskeezy3000 »

fpliii wrote:Great thread.
thanks.... friend?
#1 Kareem
#2 Karl
#3 Kobe
FPL
Hall of Famer

Post by FPL »

paskeezy3000 wrote:
thanks.... friend?
Nice to see MJ apologists all shook.
paskeezy3000
Hall of Famer

Post by paskeezy3000 »

fpliii wrote:
paskeezy3000 wrote:
thanks.... friend?
Nice to see MJ apologists all shook.
i take pride in my craft.
#1 Kareem
#2 Karl
#3 Kobe
l3bron
Reigning WIS Champion

Post by l3bron »

lol this thread
Come at the King, you best not miss.
vcsgrizzfan
Mount Rushmore

Post by vcsgrizzfan »

I would take Jordan but I certainly understand the case for Kareem. I do think you need to recognize that his best statistical seasons were when talent was diluted by the ABA.
paskeezy3000
Hall of Famer

Post by paskeezy3000 »

l3bron wrote:lol this thread
care to elaborate?
#1 Kareem
#2 Karl
#3 Kobe
paskeezy3000
Hall of Famer

Post by paskeezy3000 »

vcsgrizzfan wrote:I would take Jordan but I certainly understand the case for Kareem. I do think you need to recognize that his best statistical seasons were when talent was diluted by the ABA.

3.A player cannot run with the ball. The player must throw it from the spot on which he catches it, allowance to be made for a man who catches the ball when running at a good speed if he tries to stop.

4.The ball must be held in or between the hands; the arms or body must not be used for holding it.

5.No shouldering, holding, striking, pushing, or tripping in any way of an opponent. The first infringement of this rule by any person shall count as a foul; the second shall disqualify him until the next basket is made or, if there was evident intent to injure the person, for the whole of the game. No substitution shall be allowed.

6.A foul is striking at the ball with the fist, violation of rules three and four and such described in rule five.

7.If either side makes three consecutive fouls, it shall count a goal for the opponents (consecutive means without the opponents in the mean time making a foul).

8.A goal shall be made when the ball is thrown or batted from the grounds into the basket and stays there (without falling), providing those defending the goal do not touch or disturb the goal. If the ball rests on the edges, and the opponent moves the basket, it shall count as a goal.

9.When the ball goes out of bounds, it shall be thrown into the field of play and played by the first person touching it. In case of dispute the umpire shall throw it straight into the field. The thrower-in is allowed five seconds. If he holds it longer, it shall go to the opponent. If any side persists in delaying the game, the umpire shall call a foul on that side.

10.The umpire shall be the judge of the men and shall note the fouls and notify the referee when three consecutive fouls have been made. He shall have power to disqualify people according to Rule 5.

11.The referee shall be judge of the ball and shall decide when the ball is in play, in bounds, to which side it belongs, and shall keep the time. He shall decide when a goal has been made and keep account of the baskets, with any other duties that are usually performed by a scorekeeper.

#1 Kareem
#2 Karl
#3 Kobe
vcsgrizzfan
Mount Rushmore

Post by vcsgrizzfan »

paskeezy3000 wrote:
vcsgrizzfan wrote:I would take Jordan but I certainly understand the case for Kareem. I do think you need to recognize that his best statistical seasons were when talent was diluted by the ABA.

You will get one reply only. Russell was 7-1 in the playoffs against Wilt. Old Wilt handled a young Kareem just fine. Have fun trolling.
paskeezy3000
Hall of Famer

Post by paskeezy3000 »

vcsgrizzfan wrote:
paskeezy3000 wrote:

You will get one reply only. Russell was 7-1 in the playoffs against Wilt. Old Wilt handled a young Kareem just fine. Have fun trolling.
im grateful for the one.
#1 Kareem
#2 Karl
#3 Kobe
elmouse03
Mount Rushmore

Post by elmouse03 »

1st what a great thread and been reading the responses on my phone at work and some nice facts.

2nd. For those ripping the 90s once again look at the ratings for some of the games/series because obviously something was being done right and people enjoyed it compared to that of today's NBA. Also there are a good number of teams that didn't even make the finals that would whoop some of the NBA champions of 2000-now.

3rd it's a tough one but I will go with Jordan who is thew clear cut #1 SG of all time why Kareem has some competition at the center spot with the likes of Shaq, Russell, Wilt, Hakeem and probably a few others. Both were dominant but the dominance that Jordan showed on both ends of the floor at the 2 guard spot was just remarkable.
AtiliusRegulus
Mount Rushmore

Post by AtiliusRegulus »

I don't like Kareem. Not because he wasn't a dedicated ball player but because he left Milwaukee because of lack of culture. SMH. Other than that, he is probably the greatest player in the game.
Check the method from Bedrock, 'cause I rock your head to bed
paskeezy3000
Hall of Famer

Post by paskeezy3000 »

elmouse03 wrote:1st what a great thread and been reading the responses on my phone at work and some nice facts.

2nd. For those ripping the 90s once again look at the ratings for some of the games/series because obviously something was being done right and people enjoyed it compared to that of today's NBA. Also there are a good number of teams that didn't even make the finals that would whoop some of the NBA champions of 2000-now.

3rd it's a tough one but I will go with Jordan who is thew clear cut #1 SG of all time why Kareem has some competition at the center spot with the likes of Shaq, Russell, Wilt, Hakeem and probably a few others. Both were dominant but the dominance that Jordan showed on both ends of the floor at the 2 guard spot was just remarkable.
I'm glad you've enjoyed the thread
#1 Kareem
#2 Karl
#3 Kobe
paskeezy3000
Hall of Famer

Post by paskeezy3000 »

AtiliusRegulus wrote:I don't like Kareem. Not because he wasn't a dedicated ball player but because he left Milwaukee because of lack of culture. SMH. Other than that, he is probably the greatest player in the game.
Hmmm. Interesting reason.
#1 Kareem
#2 Karl
#3 Kobe
elmouse03
Mount Rushmore

Post by elmouse03 »

if they recorded Blocks and BPG in 50-51 like they did with RPG then it would be Russell and Wilt or vice versa at 1 and 2 and Kareem would be pretty distant 3rd but everybody else after would be a long ways away. Hakeem would be a distant 4th and i mean DISTANT.