Isn't it utterly fascinating what Jordan accomplished...

Talk about anything here.
wailuaFC
All-Time Great

Re: Isn't it utterly fascinating what Jordan accomplished...

Post by wailuaFC »

y2ktors wrote:
vcsgrizzfan wrote:
l3bron wrote:lol at how riled up the old-timers get when you say anything negative about their eras. The game of basketball has evolved. Offenses are smarter, defensive schemes are more complex...it's simply the nature of the game. The more the game is played the more it's understood.

The 90's aren't perfect, that's not something to break your hips over, it's just that the pedestal you fools built was too high.
Pretending that you have a magic time machine and can transport players through time is just as stupid. Kobe or LeBron born 50 and 60 years ago would still be great players, but their games would not remotely resemble what you have witnessed. It would look rudimentary in comparison. This whole "one era is shit and this one is better" is complete fucking crap. The only time it should even be brought up is for the ABA era when talent was spread a little thin. Outside of that, its just agenda based shit.
Bringing up the technological and scientific evolution of the game is highly irrelevant because every era is going to produce great players regardless. It doesn't mean that the product on the court is going to be better.

To me, it's about:

-the overall level of play and competition throughout the league

-strength of conferences

-draft classes (depth, quality)

I'll probably always believe that the 80s was the best decade of basketball despite evolution. It was just a better product on the court than any other era.
This is perfect, at least you have actual criteria to base your list off of, good stuff as aways
thedangerouskitchen
G.O.A.T.

Post by thedangerouskitchen »

l3bron wrote:
thedangerouskitchen wrote:
l3bron wrote:lol at TDK getting so riled up

Asking you to provide some facts / substance to back up your stupidity = getting riled up?

You throwing around playground tantrums like a spoiled brat = riled up.

lol

Um no... all I have done is ask you (several times) to back up your empty rhetorical nonsense with some shred of fact / substance.

Thus far you have failed miserably, and as a result you have been exposed by TDK as an UNeducated hoops fan.

Now run along son...
"Today's NBA is soft, the Defense is weak, and the rules 'really' favor the Offense."

"Lebron doesn’t guard for a full game and our game plan was to get him to play defense and he left me open all game."
swampgator
All-Time Great

Post by swampgator »

l3bron wrote:

Asking you to provide some facts / substance to back up your stupidity = getting riled up?

lol

Um no... all I have done is ask you (several times) to back up your empty rhetorical nonsense with some shred of fact / substance.

Thus far you have failed miserably, and as a result you have been exposed by TDK as an UNeducated hoops fan.

Now run along son...
Nice, another third person reference. No mention of 'get me a sammich' though, so points lost for that.
Shill Jackson
Mount Rushmore

Post by Shill Jackson »

elmouse03 wrote:
Shill Jackson wrote:Nobody has ever said that there weren't talented players in the 90s.
What we have said is that the 90s were the weakest decade, especially the EC. This is a fact.
hmmm. East was weaker from 99-07 then they were from 90-98. East is probably at its weakest this season.
Now there's one point we can agree on, the current EC is a travesty. Although I would argue it's been that way for a few years.
As far as the oughts - a time of massive international talent coming into the league, which strengthened things.
The expansion 90s EC had four of the six expansion teams. Much weaker.
"Educated people make the world a better place, they mercilessly attack misery and cruelty, and eventually they win."
--Henry Rollins

**zombiesonics is a feckless cunt!**
wailuaFC
All-Time Great

Post by wailuaFC »

Shill Jackson wrote:
elmouse03 wrote:
Shill Jackson wrote:Nobody has ever said that there weren't talented players in the 90s.
What we have said is that the 90s were the weakest decade, especially the EC. This is a fact.
hmmm. East was weaker from 99-07 then they were from 90-98. East is probably at its weakest this season.
Now there's one point we can agree on, the current EC is a travesty. Although I would argue it's been that way for a few years.
As far as the oughts - a time of massive international talent coming into the league, which strengthened things.
The east really isn't that bad, it's just very top heavy. Teams like the heat, pacers, nets, and bulls are all very solid teams
Y2K
One Mizzou. Then. Now. Always.

Post by Y2K »

Shill Jackson wrote:
elmouse03 wrote:
You do realize that:

-3 of the 4 Eastern expansion teams were competitive teams, even making the playoffs by 1994, right?

-That the International talent came full force AFTER yet another expansion team was added in 2002, during a period of horrible drafts due to lack of talent and the aging and retiring of superstars of the 80s and 90s. The foreigners didn't strengthen shit.

I'm a baaaddd motherfucker!!
l3bron
Reigning WIS Champion

Post by l3bron »

swampgator wrote:
l3bron wrote:

lol

Now run along son...
Nice, another third person reference. No mention of 'get me a sammich' though, so points lost for that.
TDK is slippin'.

Clearly not mentally fit to get into a battle of wits with me.
Come at the King, you best not miss.
elmouse03
Mount Rushmore

Post by elmouse03 »

For the record Jordan was great but there are many people who have looked more into the history of the NBA and some of the legends who came before Jordan and consider them to be in the discussion vs Jordan for GOAT. Some if not a lot of people who have done so in looking up and studying more and more NBA history don't even rank Jordan as their #1 favorite player of all time. Just found other greats of the game that they feel that they are more entertained by and that they can relate to in more ways then that of the great Michael Jordan.