Reggie Miller was terribly overrated

Post by Havlicekstealsit »

5 All-star games in 18 seasons
0 NBA championships
0 NCAA championships
0 all defensive teams
0 all- first or second teams
0 MVPs

His own sister won more hardware (2 NCAA titles, 3 National POYs, Olympic gold)

But hey he's got that whole Spike & the Knicks thing, eh?
kobeunderbite
Proud supporter of President Trump.

Re: Reggie Miller was terribly overrated

Post by kobeunderbite »

His brother Cheryl was a better player.
Deez
G.O.A.T.

Post by Deez »

He was pretty over rated. Great shooter but really nothing much more than that
wailuaFC
All-Time Great

Post by wailuaFC »

Thank you, his admission into the HOF was horrid
Havlicekstealsit
G.O.A.T.

Post by Havlicekstealsit »

Even in college he was whining to the refs.

AtiliusRegulus
Mount Rushmore

Post by AtiliusRegulus »

Ray Allen is way better than miller. Miller only has his clutch performance against the Knicks as his trophy.
Check the method from Bedrock, 'cause I rock your head to bed
AlaskaHawks
Mount Rushmore

Post by AlaskaHawks »

Definitely overrated, but he was better than just some mediocre player.
"The idea is not to block every shot. The idea is to make your opponent believe you might block every shot."
Bill Russell

"I'm just 'bout that action, boss"
L.O.B. = Love our Brothers.
zombiesonics
Mount Rushmore

Post by zombiesonics »

Reggie Miller was Kevin Martin with a better supporting cast
Shill Jackson
Mount Rushmore

Post by Shill Jackson »

Reggie was swaggy
"Educated people make the world a better place, they mercilessly attack misery and cruelty, and eventually they win."
--Henry Rollins

**zombiesonics is a feckless cunt!**
Ghostown42
All-Time Great

Post by Ghostown42 »

Where exactly does the OP think he is rated?

I see him possibly in the top 100 players of all-time, but not close to top 50. Is that overrated?
Y2K
One Mizzou. Then. Now. Always.

Post by Y2K »

AtiliusRegulus wrote:Ray Allen is way better than miller. Miller only has his clutch performance against the Knicks as his trophy.
He led the Pacers to the Finals in 2000. They didn't win but the game the Lakers a damn good fight. That franchise was bad for years until he became the face of the franchise.

I'm a baaaddd motherfucker!!
AlaskaHawks
Mount Rushmore

Post by AlaskaHawks »

gainesvillejjstalker wrote:Went to the playoffs 15 times with the Pacers. 15.

Averaged over 20 11 times in the playoffs. 11 times.

Averaged over 25 5 times in the playoffs.

For his career, including his decline, shot 39.5% from 3 and 88.8% from the line. Simply put, one of the best shooters this game has ever seen.

The dude was good.
Good post here. Definitely agree .
"The idea is not to block every shot. The idea is to make your opponent believe you might block every shot."
Bill Russell

"I'm just 'bout that action, boss"
L.O.B. = Love our Brothers.
dunkan5rings
Hall of Famer

Post by dunkan5rings »

****** hating on The GOAT Reggie Miller [youtube]xHFqBRLNZXU[/youtube]
AbeVigodaLive
Clean-Up Crew

Post by AbeVigodaLive »

y2ktors wrote:
AtiliusRegulus wrote:Ray Allen is way better than miller. Miller only has his clutch performance against the Knicks as his trophy.
He led the Pacers to the Finals in 2000. They didn't win but the game the Lakers a damn good fight. That franchise was bad for years until he became the face of the franchise.

To be fair, Jalen Rose is the forgotten man on that Indiana team.

He averaged more points. More rebounds. More assists. More steals. Shot a higher percentage.

While it's true Miller had a very good playoff run, leading the team in scoring, Rose upped his season average too. Both averaged 20+ ppg in those playoffs.
Robceltsfan
Pick 'Em League Champion

Post by Robceltsfan »

Reggie Miller was a beast. One of the top 5 shooters the NBA has ever seen. The man had ice in his veins during clutch time. Rik Smits, Chuck Person and old Chris Mullin are the only decent players he ever had. Not exactly championship teammates.

He was a borderline HOF candidate but I'm glad he got in. Outside of my boy Larry, Reggie is probably the only other player I'd completely trust with my life on a buzzer beater.
Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are dumber than that.

~George Carlin~
AbeVigodaLive
Clean-Up Crew

Post by AbeVigodaLive »

Robceltsfan wrote:Reggie Miller was a beast. One of the top 5 shooters the NBA has ever seen. The man had ice in his veins during clutch time. Rik Smits, Chuck Person and old Chris Mullin are the only decent players he ever had. Not exactly championship teammates.

He was a borderline HOF candidate but I'm glad he got in. Outside of my boy Larry, Reggie is probably the only other player I'd completely trust with my life on a buzzer beater.

Apparently, you didn't read the post directly above yours...
Robceltsfan
Pick 'Em League Champion

Post by Robceltsfan »

AbeVigodaLive wrote:
Robceltsfan wrote:Reggie Miller was a beast. One of the top 5 shooters the NBA has ever seen. The man had ice in his veins during clutch time. Rik Smits, Chuck Person and old Chris Mullin are the only decent players he ever had. Not exactly championship teammates.

Meh, I started typing my post and walked away before finishing it later. Didn't see yours till after. Jalen isn't any better than the three I mentioned and is hardly championship material. Even with him playing as lights out as he did, they were still no match for Shaq/Kobe. Kobe is better than Reggie. Shaq is infinitely better than Rose.
Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are dumber than that.

~George Carlin~
AbeVigodaLive
Clean-Up Crew

Post by AbeVigodaLive »

Robceltsfan wrote:
AbeVigodaLive wrote:

Meh, I started typing my post and walked away before finishing it later. Didn't see yours till after. Jalen isn't any better than the three I mentioned and is hardly championship material. Even with him playing as lights out as he did, they were still no match for Shaq/Kobe. Kobe is better than Reggie. Shaq is infinitely better than Rose.

I never claimed they weren't. I'm only adding a very important player that Reggie Miller played with that you missed. And Jermaine O'Neal was a 20/10 guy at the tail end of Miller's career on some solid Pacers teams. (Sadly, they were arguably the league's best team in Miller's final season until the disaster in Detroit ruined everything.)
Robceltsfan
Pick 'Em League Champion

Post by Robceltsfan »

AbeVigodaLive wrote:
Robceltsfan wrote:
AbeVigodaLive wrote:

I never claimed they weren't. I'm only adding a very important player that Reggie Miller played with that you missed. And Jermaine O'Neal was a 20/10 guy at the tail end of Miller's career on some solid Pacers teams. (Sadly, they were arguably the league's best team in Miller's final season until the disaster in Detroit ruined everything.)
I can agree with all that. I liked Reggie. I actually used to get nicknamed Reggie on the basketball court because I had an ugly ass jumper that had a tendency to make it's way through the net. I enjoyed watching him play and wish he could have had some better teams around him.

~George Carlin~
AbeVigodaLive
Clean-Up Crew

Post by AbeVigodaLive »

Robceltsfan wrote:
AbeVigodaLive wrote:
Robceltsfan wrote:

I can agree with all that. I liked Reggie. I actually used to get nicknamed Reggie on the basketball court because I had an ugly ass jumper that had a tendency to make it's way through the net. I enjoyed watching him play and wish he could have had some better teams around him.

Yeah. He was a good player. And his ability to raise his game in the playoffs several times should never be dismissed. But he was a bit one-dimensional. And he did have some very good rosters built around him. In the end, however, I don't think he was "best player on the best team" material.