Diggin this WiFi capable home appliances/accessories

Talk about anything here.
Buckets
Repeat Fantasy BBall Champ

Diggin this WiFi capable home appliances/accessories

Post by Buckets »

Recently installed the Nest thermostat which can be accessed via the Nest app so I can make sure its nice and cool/warm when I'm home and help save on energy when I'm away.

Also installed a WiFi garage door opener so I can open and close via my phone. Looking into getting WiFi controlled outside lights.

Costs of these aren't much more expensive than the traditional non-wifi fixtures.

Anyone else have WiFi capable appliances / accessories around the house that they'd like to suggest or found useful?
AbeVigodaLive
Clean-Up Crew

Re: Diggin this WiFi capable home appliances/accessories

Post by AbeVigodaLive »

Buckets wrote:Recently installed the Nest thermostat which can be accessed via the Nest app so I can make sure its nice and cool/warm when I'm home and help save on energy when I'm away.

Also installed a WiFi garage door opener so I can open and close via my phone. Looking into getting WiFi controlled outside lights.

Costs of these aren't much more expensive than the traditional non-wifi fixtures.

Anyone else have WiFi capable appliances / accessories around the house that they'd like to suggest or found useful?

Been considering that NEST thing. Dig the WiFi garage door opener but if the current one aint broke...

Speaking of outside lights... I have a pretty high (for a pussy like me afraid of falling from such heights) outdoor light. It's out. It's very hard to reach... so I bought this long handle thing for just such a purpose. So I start smiling as I'm changing the light bulb from the ground... until the bottom part of the light bulb I was removing got stuck in the fixture. Damn it.

Now, I paid for that thing for nothing. And I have to up even higher on a teetering ladder to try to get that part out of the light fixture before I can get a new one in.

I hate you Buckets for reminding me about this... and for getting me to admit I'm a heights-fearing pussy.
Buckets
Repeat Fantasy BBall Champ

Re: Diggin this WiFi capable home appliances/accessories

Post by Buckets »

AbeVigodaLive wrote:
Buckets wrote:Recently installed the Nest thermostat which can be accessed via the Nest app so I can make sure its nice and cool/warm when I'm home and help save on energy when I'm away.

Been considering that NEST thing. Dig the WiFi garage door opener but if the current one aint broke...

Speaking of outside lights... I have a pretty high (for a pussy like me afraid of falling from such heights) outdoor light. It's out. It's very hard to reach... so I bought this long handle thing for just such a purpose. So I start smiling as I'm changing the light bulb from the ground... until the bottom part of the light bulb I was removing got stuck in the fixture. Damn it.

Now, I paid for that thing for nothing. And I have to up even higher on a teetering ladder to try to get that part out of the light fixture before I can get a new one in.

I hate you Buckets for reminding me about this... and for getting me to admit I'm a heights-fearing pussy.
Nest was about $250 and totally worth it. Super easy to install too and extremely useful like I said when your out of the house. We didn't have a garage door opener so when we bought one we just splurged a little extra for the WiFi capable one. I guess I have the benefit where I have a new house and when I need to make changes I can just upgrade instead of spending frivolously such as an existing homeowner like yourself.

Great story about the light bulb. Haha if you just would have manned up in the first place and gotten up there to fix it, you may not have been in this predicament. I can only laugh at the thought of you trying to unscrew a lightbulb with a long arm extender. Woulda been a great picture.