Should we make English an Official Language in the USA?

Talk about anything here.
FPL
Hall of Famer

Should we make English an Official Language in the USA?

Post by FPL »

What do you guys think?
Buckets
Repeat Fantasy BBall Champ

Re: Should we make English an Official Language in the USA?

Post by Buckets »

What purpose would it serve? There is still going to be translations of english and spanish posted everywhere....
Havlicekstealsit
G.O.A.T.

Post by Havlicekstealsit »

It's ANGLISH, moran.

Murica.
Y2K
One Mizzou. Then. Now. Always.

Post by Y2K »

fpliii wrote:What do you guys think?
Yes

I'm a baaaddd motherfucker!!
Bartman
Hall of Famer

Post by Bartman »

¿qué coño
Bartman
Hall of Famer

Post by Bartman »

If making English an official language entails getting rid of esl classes and not publishing everything in multiple languages then I'm all for it.
Shill Jackson
Mount Rushmore

Post by Shill Jackson »

there is no such thing as an official language.
language is fluid and changes all the time
"Educated people make the world a better place, they mercilessly attack misery and cruelty, and eventually they win."
--Henry Rollins

**zombiesonics is a feckless cunt!**
somberbostonian
All-Time Great

Post by somberbostonian »

The ship has set sailed. Should have done it before the Mexican voting bloc became influential enough so politicians know they must pander to...er...look out for their needs.
PoLIEtics is for gay fags.
lettherebehouse
Clean-Up Crew

Post by lettherebehouse »

If makin English here in Merica is wrooooonng...Well den I dun wanna be rot.
thatoothpick45
All-Time Great

Post by thatoothpick45 »

The US education system should be teaching the youth a second language. English would be a good way to go.

Seriously though, Spanish should be taught. Most of Europe teaches English to the kids at a young age. Netherlands, Scandinavian countries and I can go on forever baby. I always wanted to learn a 3rd language, since I grew up with Spanish, learned English, I always wanted to really learn French(I took a year of French in college but I did come away with much besides couple of A's) or Portuguese.
thatoothpick45
All-Time Great

Post by thatoothpick45 »

The US education system should be teaching the youth a second language. English would be a good way to go.

Seriously though, Spanish should be taught. Most of Europe teaches English to the kids at a young age. Netherlands, Scandinavian countries and I can go on forever baby. I always wanted to learn a 3rd language, since I grew up with Spanish, learned English, I always wanted to really learn French(I took a year of French in college but I did come away with much besides couple of A's) or Portuguese.
Havlicekstealsit
G.O.A.T.

Post by Havlicekstealsit »

Most Europeans (or those who lived there for awhile) can speak 2-3 other languages beside their native tongue fluently. Even Kobe can speak Spanish & Italian. Granted that's because their countries are in close proximity to one another, but still. Here we have another predominantly English-speaking country to the north and Spanish to the south. However, we're completely indifferent to learning Spanish, in part due to the negative circumstances surrounding their existence here, or how they get here, where they work, etc. Nevermind learning Spanish would make one much more marketable in the workforce. Forget about the fact it can dramatically improve neighborhood relations. It's so much easier to get annoyed with them and make snide comments about "speak English" instead.
Johnnyblazzed
Hall of Famer

Post by Johnnyblazzed »

fpliii wrote:What do you guys think?
Si!
thatoothpick45
All-Time Great

Post by thatoothpick45 »

Havlicekstealsit wrote:Most Europeans (or those who lived there for awhile) can speak 2-3 other languages beside their native tongue fluently. Even Kobe can speak Spanish & Italian. Granted that's because their countries are in close proximity to one another, but still. Here we have another predominantly English-speaking country to the north and Spanish to the south. However, we're completely indifferent to learning Spanish, in part due to the negative circumstances surrounding their existence here, or how they get here, where they work, etc. Nevermind learning Spanish would make one much more marketable in the workforce. Forget about the fact it can dramatically improve neighborhood relations. It's so much easier to get annoyed with them and make snide comments about "speak English" instead.
He can not really speak Spanish, he understands quite a bit but that is due to his Italian. When he speaks Spanish or tries to he uses his Italian to get across. There is a difference from understanding a language and speaking it fluently.

You can tell he struggles quite a bit here.
[youtube]EBSaeRBV_EI[/youtube]