Bush4Ever
Board Alpha Male

Re: How bad do you want it?

Post by Bush4Ever »

AlaskaHawks wrote:
Bush4Ever wrote:
AlaskaHawks wrote:
Did you watch the video?
I wasn't really referring to the video, but I have seen it once. I don't think I remember much of it though.

Why do you ask?
Because you and Rob are having a completely different conversation than what the video is talking about. Nowhere in the video does he say "Work 400 hours a day, desert your wife and kids, don't enjoy life until you're old" Yet that's what you guys seem to think it's saying.
I was just following the conversation, not talking about the video. I actually first heard about this video because someone used the speech as part of a Nick Diaz highlight video, oddly enough.

I know he talked multiple times in the speech about "going without". I think the examples he used were geared more towards college students (no one calling you, partying, etc...), but he quite clearly played the "sacrifice" theme, IIRC, as well as not truly making it until you are obsessed with success, so to speak.

What am I missing?
Taking a break from the board. Please reference my last post for more details if you are interested.
AlaskaHawks
Mount Rushmore

Post by AlaskaHawks »

Bush4Ever wrote:
AlaskaHawks wrote:
Bush4Ever wrote:
I wasn't really referring to the video, but I have seen it once. I don't think I remember much of it though.

Why do you ask?
Because you and Rob are having a completely different conversation than what the video is talking about. Nowhere in the video does he say "Work 400 hours a day, desert your wife and kids, don't enjoy life until you're old" Yet that's what you guys seem to think it's saying.
I was just following the conversation, not talking about the video. I actually first heard about this video because someone used the speech as part of a Nick Diaz highlight video, oddly enough.

I know he talked multiple times in the speech about "going without". I think the examples he used were geared more towards college students (no one calling you, partying, etc...), but he quite clearly played the "sacrifice" theme, IIRC, as well as not truly making it until you are obsessed with success, so to speak.

What am I missing?
You seem to be missing the fact that your typical person wastes so much time in a given day, that just refocusing your energy/efforts is "giving up" something, but it's not a bad thing to give up. You'd never hear me espousing to pretend your kids don't exist, or the get rid of your phone. But I agree with what he says, you have to "give up" sleep sometimes to succeed.
"The idea is not to block every shot. The idea is to make your opponent believe you might block every shot."
Bill Russell

"I'm just 'bout that action, boss"
L.O.B. = Love our Brothers.
AbeVigodaLive
Clean-Up Crew

Post by AbeVigodaLive »

AlaskaHawks wrote:
Bush4Ever wrote:
AlaskaHawks wrote:

What am I missing?
You seem to be missing the fact that your typical person wastes so much time in a given day, that just refocusing your energy/efforts is "giving up" something, but it's not a bad thing to give up. You'd never hear me espousing to pretend your kids don't exist, or the get rid of your phone. But I agree with what he says, you have to "give up" sleep sometimes to succeed.

Isn't sleep beneficial to your long-term health?
AlaskaHawks
Mount Rushmore

Post by AlaskaHawks »

AbeVigodaLive wrote:
AlaskaHawks wrote:
Bush4Ever wrote:

What am I missing?

Isn't sleep beneficial to your long-term health?
People seem to think you need 8-9 hours of sleep a night. That is excessive to what is still "healthy" and it's not giving up sleep forever.
"The idea is not to block every shot. The idea is to make your opponent believe you might block every shot."
Bill Russell

"I'm just 'bout that action, boss"
L.O.B. = Love our Brothers.
lettherebehouse
Clean-Up Crew

Post by lettherebehouse »

AlaskaHawks wrote:
Bush4Ever wrote:
AlaskaHawks wrote:

What am I missing?

Ahhhwwww fuck.....You had me going til that part
Bush4Ever
Board Alpha Male

Post by Bush4Ever »

I guess I need to listen to it again with a more careful ear, because I am not getting what the unique thrust of the speech is. But like I said, it was a while ago.
Taking a break from the board. Please reference my last post for more details if you are interested.