What do you think of this whole 1 and done rule?

Talk about anything here.
elmouse03
Mount Rushmore

What do you think of this whole 1 and done rule?

Post by elmouse03 »

Is it good for college bball and the NBA or is ruining both?
kobeunderbite
Proud supporter of President Trump.

Re: What do you think of this whole 1 and done rule?

Post by kobeunderbite »

The longer the school requirement is, the better for the NBA and NCAA.

The NBA gets more polished players entering the league, and the NCAA gets more intensive rivalries, story-lines with greater depth, star power that can be built for more than one season, etc.
Kingcarl24
G.O.A.T.

Post by Kingcarl24 »

They either need to go all in or all out. Either allow players to enter the draft after high school or raise the age of those drafted in the to 21. The one and done is terrible for the NCAA.
Y2K
One Mizzou. Then. Now. Always.

Post by Y2K »

It stinks. It's not good for the league nor was the prep-to-pro.

I'm a baaaddd motherfucker!!
Max
Coach

Post by Max »

It hurts the NBA and especially the NCAA.

There should be no rule.
elmouse03
Mount Rushmore

Post by elmouse03 »

Well I know there are some out there who want to get rid of the rule and allow the high school kids to come straight to the NBA but do you think that they should improve the NBDL and make it an actual minor league system for the NBA then with each pro team having their own NBDL team like NHL and MLB does?

I think most nba teams share a NBDL team right now.

I mean if they do do that then I have no problem with the 1 and done rule going away but if they don't then I think they should raise the level to 2 years of college to allow the kids to develop their games more.
Buckets
Repeat Fantasy BBall Champ

Post by Buckets »

Theory: Its good for kids to get an education, thus they should go to college first before playing professionally. Also it helps to lower the risk of a draft bust.

Logic: If professional scouts are willing to give an 18 year-old million of dollars based on their thorough evaluation, then how can you force that individual to go to college beforehand and prohibit them from making a living.
elmouse03
Mount Rushmore

Post by elmouse03 »

Buckets wrote:Theory: Its good for kids to get an education, thus they should go to college first before playing professionally. Also it helps to lower the risk of a draft bust.

Logic: If professional scouts are willing to give an 18 year-old million of dollars based on their thorough evaluation, then how can you force that individual to go to college beforehand and prohibit them from making a living.
Well the NBA thinks the one and done rule will improve the play of the league in general but 1 year to develop is really not much of a change compared to drafting a guy straight out of high school.
Havlicekstealsit
G.O.A.T.

Post by Havlicekstealsit »

The age rule is completely useless and if anything, nothing more than an arbitrary staple the league likes to hold onto to make them look important. I don't think the NBA & NCAA have some sort of secret partnership where one helps out the other. You're either good enough to play in the bigs or you're not. Even more so, those that bypass everything still get their due in the pros - see the Knicks' Jeremy Tyler, who decided to not only forgo college, but his senior year of high school as well. Things got so bad for him overseas he even quit one of the teams. Now look where he is - earning NBA paychecks.
ripper76
Accounts will be settled.

Post by ripper76 »

I think players should be allowed to go straight to the NBA if they are good enough. But if a player opts to go to college he must play for at least 3 years. I think this would fix most of the problems.
rileymartin
Mount Rushmore

Post by rileymartin »

I just have no sympathy for the league, and/or the owners.

In this country, you are deemed an adult if you are 18. If you don't want to draft a kid out of high school, then don't fucking draft him lol. No reason to take that option off of the table for someone who just doesn't give a shit about college.
somberbostonian
All-Time Great

Post by somberbostonian »

There shouldn't be a one and done rule. Just expand the D-League to 30 teams and make it the primary development option for 18-23 year old prospects. The college route should be for late-bloomers or players actually planning to graduate because they're realistic about how slim their pro chances are. The D-League would provide stiffer competition than watered down NCAA basketball anyway.

Football and basketball are the only two sports that tell their best 17-18 year old prospects that they have to go to college. Imagine if Sidney Crosby, Lionel Messi or Cristiano Ronaldo were told they had to play in the NCAA before turning pro.
PoLIEtics is for gay fags.
elmouse03
Mount Rushmore

Post by elmouse03 »

somberbostonian wrote:There shouldn't be a one and done rule. Just expand the D-League to 30 teams and make it the primary development option for 18-23 year old prospects. The college route should be for late-bloomers or players actually planning to graduate because they're realistic about how slim their pro chances are. The D-League would provide stiffer competition than watered down NCAA basketball anyway.

Football and basketball are the only two sports that tell their best 17-18 year old prospects that they have to go to college. Imagine if Sidney Crosby, Lionel Messi or Cristiano Ronaldo were told they had to play in the NCAA before turning pro.

I could agree with that. Wonder why they haven't done that yet. Maybe it's because of the money they are putting into the WNBA. If the NBA would do more to the D-League they would probably make more money then they do with the WNBA. Maybe have the D-League on a 72 game schedule with some sort of playoff system and the last 10 games of the NBA season they can call up their 3 best players from their D-League team to fill out their 15 man roster for the remainder of the season and into the playoffs for the teams that make it there.
Shill Jackson
Mount Rushmore

Post by Shill Jackson »

For every Kobe/LeBron, you have hundreds of flame outs.
At least with school, they are getting some knowledge for the future.
There's a reason AI is broke
"Educated people make the world a better place, they mercilessly attack misery and cruelty, and eventually they win."
--Henry Rollins

**zombiesonics is a feckless cunt!**
LookAway
All-Time Great

Post by LookAway »

rileymartin wrote:I just have no sympathy for the league, and/or the owners.

In this country, you are deemed an adult if you are 18. If you don't want to draft a kid out of high school, then don't fucking draft him lol. No reason to take that option off of the table for someone who just doesn't give a shit about college.
I agree with this. Imagine if some of the owners couldn't make money in their first profession until they worked at walmart for a few years learning how to run a company from the stock room. Would we still be having this question