Silver wants to increase NBA age limit from 19 to 20

Talk about anything here.
Y2K
One Mizzou. Then. Now. Always.

Re: Silver wants to increase NBA age limit from 19 to 20

Post by Y2K »

town bidness wrote:bad.

if a team is willing to take a risk on a player they should be allowed to do such regardless of age.
They'll take the risk regardless of the age. So let's at least condense the field of potential prospects by keeping the Scouts out of the high school gyms. that's the biggest thing that made the nba so horrible to watch during the 00s.

I'm a baaaddd motherfucker!!
AtiliusRegulus
Mount Rushmore

Post by AtiliusRegulus »

Silver is guaranteeing business for the NCAA. The NCAA will greatly improved by having top talent spend at least 2 years.
Check the method from Bedrock, 'cause I rock your head to bed
town bidness
All-Star

Post by town bidness »

LookAway wrote:

if a team is willing to take a risk on a player they should be allowed to do such regardless of age.
Precisely. We may not have seen KG if he was forced to go to college. What if he got hurt.
that's right, kg, moses, kobe, etc.

people act as if the ncaa has some right to exploit the kids for a pittance when they could get a much more equitable return for their labor in the pros if a team wants them. if no team wants you yet then go overseas or go the college route if you have the means and want that experience but the choice should be the players.

people also act as if college necessarily makes a player better. that naturally does not bare out for all players or even most.
town bidness
All-Star

Post by town bidness »

y2ktors wrote:

They'll take the risk regardless of the age. So let's at least condense the field of potential prospects by keeping the Scouts out of the high school gyms. that's the biggest thing that made the nba so horrible to watch during the 00s.
i see no reason to ban the scouts.

the 00's were great unless your team was in the east. that conference was not pulling their weight.

the 90s were horrible... bleh.
Deez
G.O.A.T.

Post by Deez »

town bidness wrote:
y2ktors wrote:

the 00's were great unless your team was in the east. that conference was not pulling their weight.

2000's into now has been terribly weak.
thatoothpick45
All-Time Great

Post by thatoothpick45 »

Should be at least 3 years in college.
somberbostonian
All-Time Great

Post by somberbostonian »

town bidness wrote:
LookAway wrote:

Precisely. We may not have seen KG if he was forced to go to college. What if he got hurt.

people act as if the ncaa has some right to exploit the kids for a pittance when they could get a much more equitable return for their labor in the pros if a team wants them. if no team wants you yet then go overseas or go the college route if you have the means and want that experience but the choice should be the players.

people also act as if college necessarily makes a player better. that naturally does not bare out for all players or even most.
I hate how football and men's basketball are the only two sports that tells its best 18 year old prospects they can't go pro right away. Messi, Ronaldo, Crosby, Ovechkin, Federer, Nadal, etc. never went to college. I can't imagine they'd be the same players if they were told they had to play NCAA soccer, NCAA hockey or NCAA tennis for a few years.

18-year old basketball players would actually benefit from playing 2-3 years in the D League before moving up to the NBA. At least then they'd get to practice full-time and not be limited by NCAA practice rules, while wasting away in college classes they clearly have no interest in. Top tier prospects should turn pro out of HS. College ball should be for late-bloomers and guys who are actually serious about getting a degree because they know how slim their odds of landing a pro b-ball career are.
PoLIEtics is for gay fags.
AbeVigodaLive
Clean-Up Crew

Post by AbeVigodaLive »

I think these guys need to be in college for 6 years. The NBA product will be better. It makes perfect sense.
town bidness
All-Star

Post by town bidness »

somberbostonian wrote:
town bidness wrote:
LookAway wrote: Precisely. We may not have seen KG if he was forced to go to college. What if he got hurt.

I hate how football and men's basketball are the only two sports that tells its best 18 year old prospects they can't go pro right away. Messi, Ronaldo, Crosby, Ovechkin, Federer, Nadal, etc. never went to college. I can't imagine they'd be the same players if they were told they had to play NCAA soccer, NCAA hockey or NCAA tennis for a few years.

18-year old basketball players would actually benefit from playing 2-3 years in the D League before moving up to the NBA. At least then they'd get to practice full-time and not be limited by NCAA practice rules, while wasting away in college classes they clearly have no interest in. Top tier prospects should turn pro out of HS. College ball should be for late-bloomers and guys who are actually serious about getting a degree because they know how slim their odds of landing a pro b-ball career are.
i agree.
DorianRo
Superstar

Post by DorianRo »

Better yet... Change it to 22-23. After college, make them play a year of d-league at least
Y2K

Post by Y2K »

town bidness wrote:
y2ktors wrote:

Outside of the Lakers run from 00-04 and the Spurs run of championships, can u really name any other reason that the 00s were very good? I really can't.

zombiesonics
Mount Rushmore

Post by zombiesonics »

y2ktors wrote:
town bidness wrote:
y2ktors wrote:

Outside of the Lakers run from 00-04 and the Spurs run of championships, can u really name any other reason that the 00s were very good? I really can't.
Pistons, Kings, Suns, Mavs, Heat, Rockets, Celtics
Y2K

Post by Y2K »

zombiesonics wrote:
y2ktors wrote:
town bidness wrote:

Other than Dallas none of those teams had real sustained success. Not a single one of them.

zombiesonics
Mount Rushmore

Post by zombiesonics »

y2ktors wrote:
zombiesonics wrote:
y2ktors wrote:
Other than Dallas none of those teams had real sustained success. Not a single one of them.
The Pistons made the ECF 6 straight times
ripper76
Accounts will be settled.

Post by ripper76 »

What if they made the rule that IF a player goes to college, they have to be there at least 3 years BUT a player can come to the NBA straight out of high school as well?

That way the guys like Kevin Garnett and Kobe Bryant can still make that jump but most everyone else stays in school awhile.
elartman1973
El Padrino

Post by elartman1973 »

Its good..the nba is a far better product when it isnt watered down with no experience and non nba ready players...too many project and not enough prospects..two years of college gets players more suited and me tally prepared for the nba..what does a dumb ass 18 year old know about anything? He doesnt know shit
"I'm drivin Caddy, you fixin a FORD"

Shill Jackson
Mount Rushmore

Post by Shill Jackson »

The benefit of waiting is that it allows the young man to gain experience and mature.
Kobe, LeBron and Garnett have all had success without school. They have also exhibited personality issues that might have been addressed if they had matured among their peers.
For everyone of them, there are hundreds of players who failed greatly. They lose all their money and have no college education to rely on.
Last edited by Shill Jackson on Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Educated people make the world a better place, they mercilessly attack misery and cruelty, and eventually they win."
--Henry Rollins

**zombiesonics is a feckless cunt!**
Y2K

Post by Y2K »

zombiesonics wrote:
y2ktors wrote:
zombiesonics wrote:
The Pistons made the ECF 6 straight times

Shit my bad. Totally didn't see u list them.

Y2K

Post by Y2K »

ripper76 wrote:What if they made the rule that IF a player goes to college, they have to be there at least 3 years BUT a player can come to the NBA straight out of high school as well?

That way the guys like Kevin Garnett and Kobe Bryant can still make that jump but most everyone else stays in school awhile.
You have to have a true farm system in order to do that though... or else you'll flood the league with young projects and not young talent. With the farm system, they will have their rights owned by the team but not make an NBA salary.

Y2K

Post by Y2K »

Shill Jackson wrote:The benefit of waiting is that it allows the young man to gain experience and mature.
Kobe, LeBron and Garnett have all had success without school. They have also exhibited personality issues that might have been addressed if they had matured among their peers.
For everyone of them, there are hundreds of players who failed greatly. They lose all their money and have no college education to rely on.
None of these guys came into the league with any resemblance of polished game.