when did "brain not fully developed before turning 25" argument become a thing?

Talk about anything here.
CleveTown™
Superstar

when did "brain not fully developed before turning 25" argument become a thing?

Post by CleveTown™ »

I just turned 43...so I guess I can speak a little on this. Grizz and Stars could write a novel I'm sure.

25 is laughable. You are basically a kid in an adult body.

I wouldn't say I didn't start behaving and "thinking" like an adult until I was around 38. Mid to late 30's would be a good average. But even at 35 is pushing it, though -- not quite a "thinking adult" just yet. Early 30's forget it. You're still that 25 year old.

But you hit another level being far removed from that young 25 year old way of thinking in your 40's even still.

I'd say 42 is when you officially say good bye to that earlier stage of life and enter mid-life with a whole new thought process. I couldn't think or act like I did at 25 even if I wanted to.

Curious what the older guys think and if I'm on the right track or not with the numbers.
My RAPTURE LETTER to Angergeneral: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=129641&p=1841888
Uncontroversial
All-Time Great

Re: when did "brain not fully developed before turning 25" argument become a thing?

Post by Uncontroversial »

your brain is all fucked up, you're obsessed with fantasy stories and think they are 100% real despite there being no evidence.

I've accumulated knowledge over the years, but i dont think my cognitive abilities have improved since age 23 or so. It makes sense to me that mid 20's is when the brain is fully developed. Slow downward curve for everyone after that, with the curve increasing much later.
Shut your bitch mouth, Trumpie loser
CleveTown™
Superstar

Re: when did "brain not fully developed before turning 25" argument become a thing?

Post by CleveTown™ »

Uncontroversial wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 12:48 pm your brain is all fucked up, you're obsessed with fantasy stories and think they are 100% real despite there being no evidence.

I've accumulated knowledge over the years, but i dont think my cognitive abilities have improved since age 23 or so. It makes sense to me that mid 20's is when the brain is fully developed. Slow downward curve for everyone after that, with the curve increasing much later.
Ok, the Bible is clearly real, but never mind that right now,

There's no way at 25 you thinking rationally like you do post 40. just stop
manchild98
Hidden Member

Post by manchild98 »

I tend to agree with you. Even a very normal, fairly intelligent dude is somewhat of a dumb ass until at least 25. Some people struggle to ever grow out of it. As you get older you now start realizing, hey that's dangerous and stupid and reckless, etc. I'd say you start becoming a wiser adult once you immediately start recognizing that. And when you do, you now start to hate on those things that you did that you now see other people doing. This is why you yell at your kids....ineffectively I might add. Kids are wired to think nothing will happen to them....which is why they don't listen to their parents (or experienced people who have been down that path). They have to learn it for themselves.

In my mid-30's I think I was fully aware of all of this. Now at 50 I hate everything and don't want to ever leave the house.
Bush4Ever.
All-Time Great

Post by Bush4Ever. »

Neuroscience is kind of a shit field, to be honest.
lettherebehouse
Clean-Up Crew

Post by lettherebehouse »

I’ve been a deep thinking son of a bitch since i was 12.
thedangerouskitchen
G.O.A.T.

Post by thedangerouskitchen »

Clevey is right, only I'm not sure if it's the "brain" not being fully developed OR the fact that, with age comes wisdom... wisdom to learn from all the stupid shit you did when you were in your younger years.

Then again, some people never "get it" so who the hell knows.
"Today's NBA is soft, the Defense is weak, and the rules 'really' favor the Offense."

"Lebron doesn’t guard for a full game and our game plan was to get him to play defense and he left me open all game."
CleveTown™
Superstar

Post by CleveTown™ »

manchild98 wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 12:59 pm

In my mid-30's I think I was fully aware of all of this. Now at 50 I hate everything and don't want to ever leave the house.
lol what causes this? Im sort of the same.
CleveTown™
Superstar

Post by CleveTown™ »

thedangerouskitchen wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 1:04 pm Clevey is right, only I'm not sure if it's the "brain" not being fully developed OR the fact that, with age comes wisdom... wisdom to learn from all the stupid shit you did when you were in your younger years.

good to know I'm on the right track here.
lettherebehouse
Clean-Up Crew

CleveTown™ wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 1:06 pm

Content in life can cause complacency. He’s satisfied with his current situation, the current structure he’s found happiness in is a warm blanket that brings comfort. The physical manifestation of this is that cool breeze morning you’re lying in your comfortable bed snuggled under your thick comforter where there’s nothing you’d rather do than stay in this position all day.
Spoiler:
:skip:
CleveTown™
Superstar

Post by CleveTown™ »

lettherebehouse wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 1:14 pm

Content in life can cause complacency. He’s satisfied with his current situation, the current structure he’s found happiness in is a warm blanket that brings comfort. The physical manifestation of this is that cool breeze morning you’re lying in your comfortable bed snuggled under your thick comforter where there’s nothing you’d rather do than stay in this position all day.
Spoiler:
Is this true manchild lol
Uncontroversial
All-Time Great

Post by Uncontroversial »

CleveTown™ wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 12:52 pm
Uncontroversial wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 12:48 pm your brain is all fucked up, you're obsessed with fantasy stories and think they are 100% real despite there being no evidence.

Ok, the Bible is clearly real, but never mind that right now,

There's no way at 25 you thinking rationally like you do post 40. just stop
One accumulates more knowledge with age, but does not improve the ability to accumulate knowledge. A brand new hard drive is empty. Over time you can fill it with files. It's transfer speed remains the same, or slows down with age.
Shut your bitch mouth, Trumpie loser
lettherebehouse
Clean-Up Crew

CleveTown™ wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 1:23 pm

Spoiler:

It’s science bro. I did the study myself.
_Vcsgrizzfan_
Role Player

Post by _Vcsgrizzfan_ »

thedangerouskitchen wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 1:04 pm Clevey is right, only I'm not sure if it's the "brain" not being fully developed OR the fact that, with age comes wisdom... wisdom to learn from all the stupid shit you did when you were in your younger years.

The irony is just too delicious.
manchild98
Hidden Member

Post by manchild98 »

Spoiler:
True....although it's the couch and never hanging out in bed.

In my mid 30s it starts getting harder to hang out with your friends. People start moving further away, start having kids, start having more successful careers, we stop playing Wednesday night softball, stop going to the bar every weekend, etc. I realize I'm doing less in terms of "going out with friends" obligations and I'm liking it more. I don't have any FOMO either. Then I move out of state and now I have no obligations to anyone. Much like you Clevey there's no outside interference.....no having to do family events, no friends, etc.

Now I'm in paradise. I try to stay home as much as possible. I live 3 miles from my work and also get to work from home multiple times a week. Again, this just reinforces to myself how much I'd rather be at home. It's addicting. I have a pool, a hot tub, an outdoor fireplace. Whatever I need or want is here. Any social interaction takes place when I have to go into the office. Shoot the shit and joke around with some co-workers and that satisfies any outside human interaction. Anything where most people use the phrase "that looks like fun" just looks awful to me. I see stuff like people at concerts or a game and my mind immediately goes to...that looks like a giant pain in the ass to get down there, parking, then sitting in traffic.

At this point I'm rooting to be a full fledged agoraphobic. Now my kid is getting a bit older and my bubble might burst a bit. I'm sure as he gets more friends I'll have to interact with their parents. His best friend right now lives around the corner. The mom and dad are both cool. The family has 2 middle school boys and then my son's friend. The dad is usually tired and not looking to more shit either. These are my people. These live life to fullest people can go Fuck themselves.
_Vcsgrizzfan_
Role Player

Post by _Vcsgrizzfan_ »

manchild98 wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 7:58 pm

Spoiler:

In my mid 30s it starts getting harder to hang out with your friends. People start moving further away, start having kids, start having more successful careers, we stop playing Wednesday night softball, stop going to the bar every weekend, etc. I realize I'm doing less in terms of "going out with friends" obligations and I'm liking it more. I don't have any FOMO either. Then I move out of state and now I have no obligations to anyone. Much like you Clevey there's no outside interference.....no having to do family events, no friends, etc.

Now I'm in paradise. I try to stay home as much as possible. I live 3 miles from my work and also get to work from home multiple times a week. Again, this just reinforces to myself how much I'd rather be at home. It's addicting. I have a pool, a hot tub, an outdoor fireplace. Whatever I need or want is here. Any social interaction takes place when I have to go into the office. Shoot the shit and joke around with some co-workers and that satisfies any outside human interaction. Anything where most people use the phrase "that looks like fun" just looks awful to me. I see stuff like people at concerts or a game and my mind immediately goes to...that looks like a giant pain in the ass to get down there, parking, then sitting in traffic.

At this point I'm rooting to be a full fledged agoraphobic. Now my kid is getting a bit older and my bubble might burst a bit. I'm sure as he gets more friends I'll have to interact with their parents. His best friend right now lives around the corner. The mom and dad are both cool. The family has 2 middle school boys and then my son's friend. The dad is usually tired and not looking to more shit either. These are my people. These live life to fullest people can go Fuck themselves.
I laughed reading your posts in this thread. I was pretty much exactly the same at 50. I hosted a lot of kids soccer parties because I had every game imaginable in my house (bubble hockey, air hockey, Foosball, darts, pool table, ping pong...) but aside from that, please leave me alone.

I'm more social now than I've been since around 30. Mostly gym buddies, but I welcome all types of social connection now. Perspectives change. I am curious how you will feel in another 15 years or so when you are an empty nester.
CleveTown™
Superstar

Post by CleveTown™ »

manchild98 wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 7:58 pm

Spoiler:

yup, same. But I don't have to do the interaction stuff with my daughter's parents. the two moms do that (actually come to think of it, my wife never interacts with them either). so Im straight.

I mainly don't want to leave the house because traffic and parking in Korea is an absolute nightmare. Crowds everywhere.

I always have a plan with my family, and while thinking about it in my head it'll be great! we'll get to where we're going and i'll envision it with no people and peaceful, but every time we get to the parking lot it starts. people galore and it turns into a zoo. it always ends up being a huge disappointment lol