French Open 2024

Talk about anything here.
kobeunderbite
Proud supporter of President Trump.

French Open 2024

Post by kobeunderbite »

Nadal draws Zverev in the first round of his likely final appearance.
_Vcsgrizzfan_
Role Player

Re: French Open 2024

Post by _Vcsgrizzfan_ »

kobeunderbite wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 10:38 am Nadal draws Zverev in the first round of his likely final appearance.
Terrible draw for both.
Da Stars.
Tight wad. Penny pincher. Mr. Dollar Theater.

Post by Da Stars. »

Bleeping tennis. LOL. Glad that somebody like it.
_Vcsgrizzfan_
Role Player

Post by _Vcsgrizzfan_ »

_Vcsgrizzfan_ wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 5:29 pm
kobeunderbite wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 10:38 am Nadal draws Zverev in the first round of his likely final appearance.
Terrible draw for both.
Didn't watch, but Nadal out of the French Open in the first round is just wrong. Horrible draw.
kobeunderbite

Post by kobeunderbite »

Rafa played decently, Zverev played great and that's all she wrote. Based on his form, with a reasonable draw Rafa makes the second week easy and then who knows. But what can you do. I think he will be inspired to keep working and look towards the summer events, he could have done with more prep time too.
_Vcsgrizzfan_
Role Player

Post by _Vcsgrizzfan_ »

kobeunderbite wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 1:13 pm Rafa played decently, Zverev played great and that's all she wrote. Based on his form, with a reasonable draw Rafa makes the second week easy and then who knows. But what can you do. I think he will be inspired to keep working and look towards the summer events, he could have done with more prep time too.
Exactly. He historically has often gotten better and better as the tournament goes on. C'est la vie.
AlaskaHawks
Mount Rushmore

Post by AlaskaHawks »

Ouchie. That's a rough one.
"The idea is not to block every shot. The idea is to make your opponent believe you might block every shot."
Bill Russell

"I'm just 'bout that action, boss"
L.O.B. = Love our Brothers.
manchild98
Hidden Member

Post by manchild98 »

PARIS -- Novak Djokovic's French Open title defense -- and his hold on No. 1 in the rankings -- are still alive thanks to a 7-5, 6-7 (6), 2-6, 6-3, 6-0 comeback victory over 22-year-old Lorenzo Musetti in a third-round match that lasted 4½ hours and did not conclude until Sunday after 3 a.m., the latest finish in tournament history.

It is Djokovic's 369th win at a Grand Slam tournament, tying Roger Federer for the most in tennis history.
_Vcsgrizzfan_
Role Player

Post by _Vcsgrizzfan_ »

manchild98 wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2024 11:39 pm PARIS -- Novak Djokovic's French Open title defense -- and his hold on No. 1 in the rankings -- are still alive thanks to a 7-5, 6-7 (6), 2-6, 6-3, 6-0 comeback victory over 22-year-old Lorenzo Musetti in a third-round match that lasted 4½ hours and did not conclude until Sunday after 3 a.m., the latest finish in tournament history.

It is Djokovic's 369th win at a Grand Slam tournament, tying Roger Federer for the most in tennis history.
Didn't see the match, but another struggle for Djokovic. Another 5 setter.

Gotta believe he is pretty much done for this French Open. Father Time may have just put him in an arm bar.
_Vcsgrizzfan_
Role Player

Post by _Vcsgrizzfan_ »

And Djokovic withdraws. Bummer.
Robceltsfan
Pick 'Em League Champion

Post by Robceltsfan »

_Vcsgrizzfan_ wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2024 3:16 pm
manchild98 wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2024 11:39 pm PARIS -- Novak Djokovic's French Open title defense -- and his hold on No. 1 in the rankings -- are still alive thanks to a 7-5, 6-7 (6), 2-6, 6-3, 6-0 comeback victory over 22-year-old Lorenzo Musetti in a third-round match that lasted 4½ hours and did not conclude until Sunday after 3 a.m., the latest finish in tournament history.

Didn't see the match, but another struggle for Djokovic. Another 5 setter.

Gotta believe he is pretty much done for this French Open. Father Time may have just put him in an arm bar.
Or, in this case, a leg lock!
Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are dumber than that.

~George Carlin~
kobeunderbite

Post by kobeunderbite »

A meniscus tear was the end of Federer. Still unclear how severe Djokovic's is but rumblings he may miss Wimbledon and even Olympics.
_Vcsgrizzfan_
Role Player

Post by _Vcsgrizzfan_ »

kobeunderbite wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 4:25 pm A meniscus tear was the end of Federer. Still unclear how severe Djokovic's is but rumblings he may miss Wimbledon and even Olympics.
I really hope it is nothing of the sort. That would be a terrible way to bow out, as it was for Roger and as injuries have been for Rafa recently.
Shill Jackson
Mount Rushmore

Post by Shill Jackson »

kobeunderbite wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 4:25 pm A meniscus tear was the end of Federer. Still unclear how severe Djokovic's is but rumblings he may miss Wimbledon and even Olympics.
It says he’s having surgery today.

I have to confess, I don’t enjoy watch on clay as much. No idea why.
"Educated people make the world a better place, they mercilessly attack misery and cruelty, and eventually they win."
--Henry Rollins

**zombiesonics is a feckless cunt!**
kobeunderbite

Post by kobeunderbite »

_Vcsgrizzfan_ wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2024 11:48 am
I really hope it is nothing of the sort. That would be a terrible way to bow out, as it was for Roger and as injuries have been for Rafa recently.
Wimbledon is out given he needed surgery, even with no official announcement yet, even if he had the time to recover, switching back and forth between surfaces that quickly to prepare for grass and then re-prepare for the clay Olympics, no bueno.

I would be surprised if Novak wins another slam at this point. Can't ever count him out but he was stinking up the joint relative to his lofty standards this season and father time is landing some body blows, plus his coaching team is cleaned out, plus he's lacking motivation with no records left to chase except for Olympic gold.
_Vcsgrizzfan_
Role Player

Post by _Vcsgrizzfan_ »

kobeunderbite wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2024 8:01 pm
Wimbledon is out given he needed surgery, even with no official announcement yet, even if he had the time to recover, switching back and forth between surfaces that quickly to prepare for grass and then re-prepare for the clay Olympics, no bueno.

I would be surprised if Novak wins another slam at this point. Can't ever count him out but he was stinking up the joint relative to his lofty standards this season and father time is landing some body blows, plus his coaching team is cleaned out, plus he's lacking motivation with no records left to chase except for Olympic gold.
Unfortunately, I agree with pretty much every word. I believe we are at the end of a tremendous era with Roger, Rafa and Novak....

Edit: one caveat. Maybe this injury actually does provide him with motivation to go win one more and then call it a day.
kobeunderbite

Post by kobeunderbite »

_Vcsgrizzfan_ wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2024 11:34 am

Unfortunately, I agree with pretty much every word. I believe we are at the end of a tremendous era with Roger, Rafa and Novak....

Edit: one caveat. Maybe this injury actually does provide him with motivation to go win one more and then call it a day.

It will take a long time for Sinner and Alcaraz to build something even a fraction as special but hopefully they pen a great chapter tomorrow.
kobeunderbite

Post by kobeunderbite »

Glad that Alcaraz won, Sinner is just too boring, but I didn't watch the match. Based on everything I've read it was an error-fest.
Shill Jackson
Mount Rushmore

Post by Shill Jackson »

_Vcsgrizzfan_ wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2024 11:34 am

Definitely feels like there is a changing of the guard watching this final. But I gotta say, the kids are alright
"Educated people make the world a better place, they mercilessly attack misery and cruelty, and eventually they win."
--Henry Rollins

**zombiesonics is a feckless cunt!**
kobeunderbite

Post by kobeunderbite »

I would say the changing happened at Wimbledon last year. Djokovic got lucky that Medvedev put on a superhuman performance in the USO semi to oust Alcaraz, one that he did not come close to repeating in the final.