Lions give Jared Goff $212M extension

Talk about anything here.
Havlicekstealsit
G.O.A.T.

Lions give Jared Goff $212M extension

Post by Havlicekstealsit »

$170M guaranteed. I get dollar values and such but they didn't even offer Barry Sanders or Megatron that much.

2nd highest paid QB in the NFL now, which means they'll absolutely be going 9-8 the next few years.
_Vcsgrizzfan_
Starter

Re: Lions give Jared Goff $212M extension

Post by _Vcsgrizzfan_ »

Wow. I think they will regret that one. We shall see.
wailuaFC
All-Time Great

Post by wailuaFC »

Is he the 10th best qb in the league?
PhutureDynasty
Mount Rushmore

Post by PhutureDynasty »

Worth it.

He's underrated and gets a bad reputation for his Rams seasons.
manchild98
Hidden Member

Post by manchild98 »

Cap constantly goes up. In 2014 the cap was 133 million. In 2019 it was 188 million. 2024 it's 255 million.

The Lions actually have a lot of cap room. They've now locked up Goff, Amon-Ra and Penei Sewell. They've changed the culture and keep talking about loyalty and how the guys in the locker room matter. Now they are showing we will take care of you as well. It's a big shift. But they are all in for going after a super bowl at least the next few years. The problem with drafting good players is eventually you'll have to pay them. (Amon-Ra, Sewell, Hutch, Gibbs, LaPorta, Branch). Just have to be creative with the timing of the cap hits.
wailuaFC
All-Time Great

Post by wailuaFC »

PhutureDynasty wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 9:06 pm Worth it.

I’m not nearly as versed in the nfl as I am in the nba, but is he significantly better than a league average starter? He was bad with the rams and has been above average with the lions, but is he the kind of difference maker that deserves that kind of contract or is it more like a Tobias Harris type contract where they can’t afford to lose him and can’t get anyone better
elmerjfudd
The Lurker

Post by elmerjfudd »

I can’t imagine they had another choice. He’s good enough for their team to compete but that division outside of minny is going to be brutal in the next couple years.
manchild98
Hidden Member

Post by manchild98 »

wailuaFC wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 9:20 pm

I’m not nearly as versed in the nfl as I am in the nba, but is he significantly better than a league average starter? He was bad with the rams and has been above average with the lions, but is he the kind of difference maker that deserves that kind of contract or is it more like a Tobias Harris type contract where they can’t afford to lose him and can’t get anyone better
Most thought he would get about 45 million a year. But that's just the going rate for a good NFL starter. He's not mobile, but he's been really good with the Lions and we have one of the best offensive lines in the NFL. He was supposed to just be a 2 year starter until we could draft a QB when we swapped him with Stafford, but here we are. Instead of stinking it up, we got good along the way.
PhutureDynasty
Mount Rushmore

Post by PhutureDynasty »

I would say he is right in between average and great, which makes him good. He won't be the reason you lose you games; in fact there's a better chance he wins you games.

Given that Detroit has a solid coaching staff with a very smart OC,
a great offensive line, great weapons, and a good defense Goff is an easy choice to stay and pay.

They had the Niners dead to rights at the end of the first half of the NFC Championship game last season. A decent amount of people will probably be picking them to represent the NFC in the SB.

To make an NBA comparison, he's sort of like Jaylen Brown. Not good enough to be the best player on a contending team and needs a good coach and team around him but he will more than do his job.
Last edited by PhutureDynasty on Mon May 13, 2024 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wailuaFC
All-Time Great

Post by wailuaFC »

PhutureDynasty wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 9:57 pm

I would say he is right in between average and great, which makes him good. He won't be the reason you lose you games; in fact there's a better chance he wins you games.

Given that Detroit has a solid coaching staff with a very smart OC,
a great offensive line, great weapons, and a good defense Goff is an easy choice to stay and pay.

They had the Niners dead to rights at the end of the first half of the NFC Championship game last season. A decent amount of people will probably be picking them to represent the NFC in the SB.

To make an NFL comparison, he's sort of like Jaylen Brown. Not good enough to be the best player on a contending team and needs a good coach and team around him but he will more than do his job.
Great comparison. Has his flaws and people can laugh at the contract, but he’s what the team needs and almost impossible to replace.
Titan18
In Theo we trust

Post by Titan18 »

Not really surprised the Lions didn’t give 2024 QB money to a RB in the mid 90s…

Lions just had their best season in like 30 years. Of course they were going to pay Goff. What was the alternative?