Ralph Sampson... Wemby before Wemby

Talk about anything here.
Da Stars.
Tight wad. Penny pincher. Mr. Dollar Theater.

Re: Ralph Sampson... Wemby before Wemby

Post by Da Stars. »

I thought Ralph Sampson was overrated, an underachiever. And should now way in hell be in the HOF.
_Vcsgrizzfan_
Role Player

Post by _Vcsgrizzfan_ »

Da Stars. wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 4:07 pm I thought Ralph Sampson was overrated, an underachiever. And should now way in hell be in the HOF.
He's in the HOF more for his collegiate days than NBA days. His rookie season was his best season, and he gradually got worse and worse until he was dogshit.
Havlicekstealsit
G.O.A.T.

Post by Havlicekstealsit »

Da Stars. wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 4:07 pm I thought Ralph Sampson was overrated, an underachiever. And should now way in hell be in the HOF.
His amateur resume really carries his legacy into the Hall. He's one of the most decorated college hoop stars ever.
Bush4Ever.
All-Time Great

Post by Bush4Ever. »

Bobby Knight told an assistant coach he was the biggest pussy (player) he'd ever seen.

IIRC, he coached him in the Pan Am games?

But he was definitely an all-star caliber big right out of the gate. From what I understand, his game was not appreciated during his era like it eventually would be. Of course, injuries gobbled him up regardless.
Bush4Ever.
All-Time Great

Post by Bush4Ever. »

Robceltsfan wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 2:04 pm JFC....what is TDK doing?!? :lol:
Spoiler:
Autism
Da Stars.

Post by Da Stars. »

_Vcsgrizzfan_ wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 4:11 pm
He's in the HOF more for his collegiate days than NBA days. His rookie season was his best season, and he gradually got worse and worse until he was dogshit.
And he lost to all teams. Chaminade.
Havlicekstealsit
G.O.A.T.

Post by Havlicekstealsit »

Sorry Grizz couldn't delete my Sampson-college post after seeing yours. :L
_Vcsgrizzfan_
Role Player

Post by _Vcsgrizzfan_ »

Bush4Ever. wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 4:13 pm
Bobby Knight told an assistant coach he was the biggest pussy (player) he'd ever seen.

IIRC, he coached him in the Pan Am games?

But he was definitely an all-star caliber big right out of the gate. From what I understand, his game was not appreciated during his era like it eventually would be. Of course, injuries gobbled him up regardless.
He had a few good seasons very early on. After that, he was terrible. Injuries and what Bobby Knight said.
Da Stars.

Post by Da Stars. »

Havlicekstealsit wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 4:18 pm Sorry Grizz couldn't delete my Sampson-college post after seeing yours. :L
In all of his greatness, no NC.
Bush4Ever.
All-Time Great

Post by Bush4Ever. »

In Hakeem's book "Living the Dream", he goes out of his way to say Ralph Sampson actually worked out and practiced hard, but that his body simply betrayed him.

It didn't seem to be mindless praise because he said pretty much the opposite about Joe Barry Carroll.

I can definitely believe that, especially back then with pre-modern medicine.
thedangerouskitchen
G.O.A.T.

Post by thedangerouskitchen »

TDK wonders how come the BWGC doesn't give us a breakdown of Wemby's Big Man competition today, the way they scruitinized and criticized Sampson's Big Man competition from the mid 80s.. back when the NBA was actually a Big Man game, and the league was STACKED with all-time great/HOF C/PF talent???

:noidea: :noidea: :noidea:

My guess is that list of the 200+ Bigs in today's (supposed) superior modern Era (lol) sort of jumped up unexpectedly and slapped them in the face with the reality that today's NBA truly is watered-down garbage.

I mean, just LOOK at the names on that list: 75% of those Bigs are bums, scrubs, has-beens or never was'.

Truth clearly stings... which is why the BWGC can only deflect and spew insults at this point.

:pimp:
"Today's NBA is soft, the Defense is weak, and the rules 'really' favor the Offense."

"Lebron doesn’t guard for a full game and our game plan was to get him to play defense and he left me open all game."
LeBronMonsterDunk
Clean-Up Crew

Post by LeBronMonsterDunk »

Meltdown has commenced lol
You never liked me, probably don't like me still, but a ***** liking me aint never paid my bills
_Vcsgrizzfan_
Role Player

Post by _Vcsgrizzfan_ »

thedangerouskitchen wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 4:47 pm TDK wonders how come the BWGC doesn't give us a breakdown of Wemby's Big Man competition today, the way they scruitinized and criticized Sampson's Big Man competition from the mid 80s.. back when the NBA was actually a Big Man game, and the league was STACKED with all-time great/HOF C/PF talent???

My guess is that list of the 200+ Bigs in today's (supposed) superior modern Era (lol) sort of jumped up unexpectedly and slapped them in the face with the reality that today's NBA truly is watered-down garbage.

I mean, just LOOK at the names on that list: 75% of those Bigs are bums, scrubs, has-beens or never was'.

Truth clearly stings... which is why the BWGC can only deflect and spew insults at this point.

God you're stupid. Assuming 4 bigs per team getting reasonably meaningful minutes, that would be 120 guys getting meaningful minutes. All of those 120 guys would play in the 90s. Of the top 120 bigs from the 90s, at least half wouldn't have a prayer of making today's NBA.

Aaron Gordon, who is the subject of a different thread, hasn't sniffed an all-NBA team, an all defensive team or an all star game. Anthony Mason got MVP votes and made an All NBA team in 1997. Gordon, just a guy in today's NBA, shits on Mason. Talent was so diluted back then, it is crazy.
thedangerouskitchen
G.O.A.T.

200+ C and PF in the NBA and 75% of the names on that list are pure trash.

Watered down trash... and that truth CLEARLY upsets some people ITT.
"Today's NBA is soft, the Defense is weak, and the rules 'really' favor the Offense."

"Lebron doesn’t guard for a full game and our game plan was to get him to play defense and he left me open all game."
Da Stars.

Post by Da Stars. »

_Vcsgrizzfan_ wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 4:51 pm
thedangerouskitchen wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 4:47 pm TDK wonders how come the BWGC doesn't give us a breakdown of Wemby's Big Man competition today, the way they scruitinized and criticized Sampson's Big Man competition from the mid 80s.. back when the NBA was actually a Big Man game, and the league was STACKED with all-time great/HOF C/PF talent???

God you're stupid. Assuming 4 bigs per team getting reasonably meaningful minutes, that would be 120 guys getting meaningful minutes. All of those 120 guys would play in the 90s. Of the top 120 bigs from the 90s, at least half wouldn't have a prayer of making today's NBA.

Aaron Gordon, who is the subject of a different thread, hasn't sniffed an all-NBA team, an all defensive team or an all star game. Anthony Mason got MVP votes and made an All NBA team in 1997. Gordon, just a guy in today's NBA, shits on Mason. Talent was so diluted back then, it is crazy.
I don't think the big man talent was that diluted. I think the game has changed from the inside game to the ability to shoot the 3. Ballhandling is a premium. Remember when you might have thought the only way to score a goal was on a slapshot? Different topic.
LeBronMonsterDunk
Clean-Up Crew

Post by LeBronMonsterDunk »

thedangerouskitchen wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 4:53 pm 200+ C and PF in the NBA and 75% of the names on that list are pure trash.

ITT you listed 25 bigs and those were ALL of the bigs you thought were at least decent from like a 10 year span, and half of those were still bums that wouldn't sniff an NBA roster today lmao
You never liked me, probably don't like me still, but a ***** liking me aint never paid my bills
Da Stars.

Post by Da Stars. »

Small forwards today handle the ball like many point guards.
Point guards shoot like many shooting guards.
Shooting guards able to play small forward.
Power forwards playing like a small forward.
Centers now able to shoot beyond 15 feet.

Anything I missed?
thedangerouskitchen
G.O.A.T.

LeBronMonsterDunk wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 5:00 pm
thedangerouskitchen wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 4:53 pm 200+ C and PF in the NBA and 75% of the names on that list are pure trash.

ITT you listed 25 bigs and those were ALL of the bigs you thought were at least decent from like a 10 year span, and half of those were still bums that wouldn't sniff an NBA roster today lmao
Wrong, as usual.

First off those Bigs I listed were All-Star or HOF level talent (not just 'decent' players), and all those guys played during Sampson's first 3 seasons (before his injury)... and 90% of them were listed off the top of my head with just a little searching.

Lastly... the issue isn't whether so-and-so from the 80's would be good enough to play today... every single one of them would be of course, if they were magically transported to today, and benefitted from the same style/rules of today's sissy NBA.

Russell, Wilt, West, Oscar, etc are considered all-time great talent, but according to you / others they probably wouldn't even make most HS varsity teams today... but that doesn't change their historical status in the eyes of the basketball world BECAUSE all any player can do is compete against the competition of his day.

In that regard the 80's were STACKED with all-time great HOF and All-Star level players at the C and PF positions... today, 75% of the Bigs are scrubs and window-washers, as the list of over 200 players I provided confirms.

Facts.
Last edited by thedangerouskitchen on Mon May 13, 2024 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bush4Ever.
All-Time Great

Post by Bush4Ever. »

"Antoine Carr...HOF talent"

-TDK

:laugh4:
thedangerouskitchen
G.O.A.T.

Bush4Ever. wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 5:39 pm "Antoine Carr...HOF talent"

-TDK

:laugh4:
Carr = better than 75% of the Bigs in the NBA today.

:asskicking: