Re: NBA MVP Shares Top-10 All-Time

Post by PhutureDynasty »

OK Larry.

:bird:
Bush4Ever.
All-Time Great

Post by Bush4Ever. »

Bird was first or second in the vote for seven of the nine years he played in the 1980s (3rd/4th) the other years.

Magic was basically the same story for the 1983-1991 period.
Shill Jackson
Mount Rushmore

Post by Shill Jackson »

Bush4Ever. wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:29 pm Bird was first or second in the vote for seven of the nine years he played in the 1980s (3rd/4th) the other years.

Magic was basically the same story for the 1983-1991 period.
"Educated people make the world a better place, they mercilessly attack misery and cruelty, and eventually they win."
--Henry Rollins

**zombiesonics is a feckless cunt!**
thedangerouskitchen
G.O.A.T.

Post by thedangerouskitchen »

Not really sure what this is, other than another made-up stat that means absolutely nothing... unless we're supposed to be impressed that LeFraud is barely ahead despite playing 8 more "full" seasons than Jordan?

:noidea:
"Today's NBA is soft, the Defense is weak, and the rules 'really' favor the Offense."

"Lebron doesn’t guard for a full game and our game plan was to get him to play defense and he left me open all game."
wailuaFC
All-Time Great

Post by wailuaFC »

What constitutes a “made up stat”? I see a lot of posts about them, but I don’t know how to differentiate made up stats vs real stats
Bush4Ever.
All-Time Great

Post by Bush4Ever. »

wailuaFC wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:08 pm What constitutes a “made up stat”? I see a lot of posts about them, but I don’t know how to differentiate made up stats vs real stats
To TDK, anything you couldn't have found in a newspaper regular season box score in 1992 is a "made-up stat".
thedangerouskitchen
G.O.A.T.

wailuaFC wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:08 pm What constitutes a “made up stat”? I see a lot of posts about them, but I don’t know how to differentiate made up stats vs real stats
Raw stats are what they are: FG%, 3PT%, FT%, PPG, AST/REB/STL/BLK per game... cut and dry yielding an absolute fact.

Example: You take 10 shots and make 5, you shot 50%. You Scored 20 points yesterday and 30 points the day before, your two-game Scoring average is 25.

Irrefutable facts.

A "made up" (or, Fake) stat is nothing but an arbitrary formula using random numbers designed to yield a "guess", and not a factual representation of a player's ability/skill.

Example... PER: https://www.basketball-reference.com/about/per.html

A GUESS as to the Efficiency of a player, absolutely NOT fact. In fact, some of these made-up/fake stats are so far off and flawed that they're laughable. For instance Scottie Pippen ranks 135th all-time according to PER.

Enough said as to the credibility of these "guesses" which some fans (like bush) hold as gospel, though nothing could be further from the truth.
"Today's NBA is soft, the Defense is weak, and the rules 'really' favor the Offense."

"Lebron doesn’t guard for a full game and our game plan was to get him to play defense and he left me open all game."
wailuaFC
All-Time Great

Post by wailuaFC »

thedangerouskitchen wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:45 pm
Raw stats are what they are: FG%, 3PT%, FT%, PPG, AST/REB/STL/BLK per game... cut and dry yielding an absolute fact.

Example: You take 10 shots and make 5, you shot 50%. You Scored 20 points yesterday and 30 points the day before, your two-game Scoring average is 25.

Irrefutable facts.

A "made up" (or, Fake) stat is nothing but an arbitrary formula using random numbers designed to yield a "guess", and not a factual representation of a player's ability/skill.

A GUESS as to the Efficiency of a player, absolutely NOT fact. In fact, some of these made-up/fake stats are so far off and flawed that they're laughable. For instance Scottie Pippen ranks 135th all-time according to PER.

Enough said as to the credibility of these "guesses" which some fans (like bush) hold as gospel, though nothing could be further from the truth.
Sounds good. AI was on par defensively with Jordan and better than Gary Payton because his steals per game told me so.
PhutureDynasty
Mount Rushmore

Post by PhutureDynasty »

wailuaFC wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:10 pm

Irrefutable facts.

Sounds good. AI was on par defensively with Jordan and better than Gary Payton because his steals per game told me so.
That's a fact actually.
thedangerouskitchen
G.O.A.T.

Irrefutable facts.

Hey... if "career Steals per game" average is the only criteria you use to evaluate Defensive play/impact, so be it. I would obviously disagree because Steals are just one (1) of many criteria, but you are entitled to your opinion (even if it makes you look like a novice hoops fan).

wailuaFC
All-Time Great

Post by wailuaFC »

thedangerouskitchen wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:27 pm

Irrefutable facts.

Hey... if "career Steals per game" average is the only criteria you use to evaluate Defensive play/impact, so be it. I would obviously disagree because Steals are just one (1) of many criteria, but you are entitled to your opinion (even if it makes you look like a novice hoops fan).
You said box score stats are the only real stats, and since steals end a possession while blocks don’t, it’s the best measure of defense, right?
_Vcsgrizzfan_
Role Player

Post by _Vcsgrizzfan_ »

wailuaFC wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:07 pm
You said box score stats are the only real stats, and since steals end a possession while blocks don’t, it’s the best measure of defense, right?
There are really only two traditional stats that measure defence. Steals and blocks. Pretending they are better than advanced stats is the stuff of morons.

Based on those traditional stats, Denis Rodman and Bruce Bowen are both awful defenders and Stromile Swift was a much better defender than either.
wailuaFC
All-Time Great

Post by wailuaFC »

_Vcsgrizzfan_ wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:29 pm

There are really only two traditional stats that measure defence. Steals and blocks. Pretending they are better than advanced stats is the stuff of morons.

Based on those traditional stats, Denis Rodman and Bruce Bowen are both awful defenders and Stromile Swift was a much better defender than either.
There are no real stats that can refute those facts. It’s crazy though that someone who loves “real stats” so much screams about how much better Jordan is than LeBron despite LeBron being better at FG%, 3pt%, 3ptm, reb, assists, blocks while Jordan just leads in points, ft% and stl. Seems cut and dry based on the “real stats”
Odogg
Hall of Famer

Post by Odogg »

No Wilt?
Bush4Ever.
All-Time Great

Post by Bush4Ever. »

Wilt is 11th.

Career MVP shares carry something of a bias for players that are the top 1-3 (or so) vs. players who are maybe top 5-10 or so, since the former will often carry very high values within-year, and a top 5-10 guy basically nothing, even if the players are not *that* different from each other in real terms. In other words, the gap in award shares between the winners and near-winners isn't precisely correlated to the difference in performance, and being A+ for a short period of time will generate more value than being A- for a longer period of time (since guys outside the top 3 and certainly top 5 get almost zero shares).

D-Rob vs. Hakeem is a good example (3.1 vs. 2.6 career shares, 16th vs 23rd all time).

Top 20 MVP Vote seasons:
D-Rob: 10
Hakeem: 13

Top 10 MVP Vote seasons:
D-Rob: 9
Hakeem: 10

Top 5 MVP Vote seasons:
D-Rob: 5
Hakeem: 6

Top 3 MVP Vote seasons:
D-Rob: 5
Hakeem: 2

Top 2 MVP Vote seasons:
D-Rob: 3
Hakeem: 2

Top 1 MVP Vote seasons:
D-Rob: 1
Hakeem: 1
thedangerouskitchen
G.O.A.T.

I said there are stats based on fundamental facts/truths as we know them to be (ie; raw stats), and then there are stats that are created by plugging random numbers into arbitrary (ie; made-up) formulas designed to yield a "guess" BUT subject to errors and flaws (some of them extreme)... unless, for example, you really believe Scottie Pippen was just the 135th best player in history (based on PER?)?

wailuaFC
All-Time Great

Post by wailuaFC »

thedangerouskitchen wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:40 am

I said there are stats based on fundamental facts/truths as we know them to be (ie; raw stats), and then there are stats that are created by plugging random numbers into arbitrary (ie; made-up) formulas designed to yield a "guess" BUT subject to errors and flaws (some of them extreme)... unless, for example, you really believe Scottie Pippen was just the 135th best player in history (based on PER?)?

Glad we can agree on the fundamental truth that AI is equal to Jordan defensively and way better than players like Payton, pippen, and rodman
thedangerouskitchen
G.O.A.T.

wailuaFC wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:26 pm

Glad we can agree on the fundamental truth that AI is equal to Jordan defensively and way better than players like Payton, pippen, and rodman
Stick to being the board Nice Guy... trolling clearly isn't your thing.

:roll:

Robceltsfan
Pick 'Em League Champion

Post by Robceltsfan »

thedangerouskitchen wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:09 pm
wailuaFC wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:26 pm

Stick to being the board Nice Guy... trolling clearly isn't your thing.

:roll:
He’s not trolling….he’s just using your own bullshit against you. :lol:
Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are dumber than that.

~George Carlin~