All-Time Great

Jokic stats tonight

Post by Uncontroversial »

Shut your bitch mouth, Trumpie loser
Bush4Ever.
All-Time Great

Re: Jokic stats tonight

Post by Bush4Ever. »

According to TDK, the centers of the 90s would have gone 11 for 10 against those same defenses.
Uncontroversial
All-Time Great

That’s his 4th triple double on 100% shooting
thedangerouskitchen
G.O.A.T.

Post by thedangerouskitchen »

How'd he do on Defense???

Oh wait... Defense isn't played anymore. Nevermind.

:L
"Today's NBA is soft, the Defense is weak, and the rules 'really' favor the Offense."

"Lebron doesn’t guard for a full game and our game plan was to get him to play defense and he left me open all game."
zombiesonics
Mount Rushmore

Post by zombiesonics »

thedangerouskitchen wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 11:33 am How'd he do on Defense???

Nuggets had 11 blocks and 11 steals.

Not a single ‘90s team is athletic enough to do that.

:pjaxlol:
LeBronMonsterDunk
Clean-Up Crew

Post by LeBronMonsterDunk »

Jokics Defensive Rating last night - 93
Jordan's best Drtg season - 100

Joker was better defensively last night, against FAR superior offenses, than any season Jordone had, against dogshit offenses.

:mjcrying:
You never liked me, probably don't like me still, but a ***** liking me aint never paid my bills
zombiesonics
Mount Rushmore

Post by zombiesonics »

LeBronMonsterDunk wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 11:46 am

Joker was better defensively last night, against FAR superior offenses, than any season Jordone had, against dogshit offenses.

:banderas:
thedangerouskitchen
G.O.A.T.

zombiesonics wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 11:41 am

Against a bottom-feeder Offensive team... sorry, not impressed.

BTW, how many BLK/STL for Joker again?

Exaaaactly, which begs the thought: Imagine how much better the top Offensive Bigs of the 90's would have been if they didn't have to worry about playing Defense (like Joker)...

Hmmm...
"Today's NBA is soft, the Defense is weak, and the rules 'really' favor the Offense."

"Lebron doesn’t guard for a full game and our game plan was to get him to play defense and he left me open all game."
thedangerouskitchen
G.O.A.T.

LeBronMonsterDunk wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 11:46 am

Using DR to pretend Joker is even in the same universe as Jordan as a defender just PROVES how completely worthless the stat is.

Bush4Ever.
All-Time Great

Post by Bush4Ever. »

To be fair to TDK, if Shaq and Ewing didn't have to work about blocking shots and guarding the interior against running hook shots (instead of PNRs and going line to line in rotations, etc...), they would have developed more of a three-point shot and dynamic, offense-bending passing abilities.
_Vcsgrizzfan_
Role Player

Post by _Vcsgrizzfan_ »

thedangerouskitchen wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 12:33 pm

Exaaaactly, which begs the thought: Imagine how much better the top Offensive Bigs of the 90's would have been if they didn't have to worry about playing Defense (like Joker)...

Hmmm...
Dennis Rodman never averaged either a single block or a single steal in his entire career. Bruce Bowen averaged .8 steals and .4 blocks for his career. They did however, have outstanding defensive ratings relative to era. I would WAY rather use Defensive Rating as a primary gauge of defensive ability over blocks and steals.
zombiesonics
Mount Rushmore

Post by zombiesonics »

thedangerouskitchen wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 12:33 pm

Hmmm...
Jokic had a better defensive rating last night than any ‘90s center has ever had. Meanwhile, he’s surrounded by his athletes who get blocks and steals to generate transition offense.

The Nuggets are a better offensive and defensive team than any ‘90s team. Shit, so are the Wizards.
Uncontroversial
All-Time Great

Jokic cruised to a championship last year. Would be impossible if he was a defensive liability. His game is flawless, even though he appears to move like he’s playing wearing sandals
thedangerouskitchen
G.O.A.T.

You KNOW you've got the BWGC on the ropes when they're trying to convince you that Nikola Jokic plays anything but average (at best) Defense... what's next, LeBron is an elite Shooter???

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

:roll: :L

elmerjfudd
The Lurker

Post by elmerjfudd »

thedangerouskitchen wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 1:47 pm You KNOW you've got the BWGC on the ropes when they're trying to convince you that Nikola Jokic plays anything but average (at best) Defense... what's next, LeBron is an elite Shooter???

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

:roll: :L
How would you know? They watch the games, while you’ve claimed that you don’t.
Bush4Ever.
All-Time Great

Post by Bush4Ever. »

It's not correct (IMO) to claim Joker is a good defensive player, but it's also wrong to draw any type of linkage between Dream/D-Rob/Ewing/Shaq being meaningfully behind Joker offensively as a function of energy expenditures from defense...centers move *way* more on average per-possession now, and the main attributes of Joker over those guys (shooting touch and passing) are elements that they were never going to match him on anyways.

Most of the best defensive metrics I trust generally grade Joker in the range of a step below average to average. My eye test marked him close to neutral, but that's with all the caveats about the eye test without super-focused and intentional scouting.

But like I said, the big four centers above could be in an empty gym and not have Joker's shooting ability, or passing ability in an open gym run. Joker is the best passing center in history, and pretty close to the best shooting touch as well. Not a needle-mover defensively, but his offense is top-of-the-class, period.
thedangerouskitchen
G.O.A.T.

Bush4Ever. wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 4:07 pm It's not correct (IMO) to claim Joker is a good defensive player, but it's also wrong to draw any type of linkage between Dream/D-Rob/Ewing/Shaq being meaningfully behind Joker offensively as a function of energy expenditures from defense...centers move *way* more on average per-possession now, and the main attributes of Joker over those guys (shooting touch and passing) are elements that they were never going to match him on anyways.

Most of the best defensive metrics I trust generally grade Joker in the range of a step below average to average. My eye test marked him close to neutral, but that's with all the caveats about the eye test without super-focused and intentional scouting.

But like I said, the big four centers above could be in an empty gym and not have Joker's shooting ability, or passing ability in an open gym run. Joker is the best passing center in history, and pretty close to the best shooting touch as well. Not a needle-mover defensively, but his offense is top-of-the-class, period.
You can't prove that Jokic "moves" way more per possession on Offense than the HOF Bigs of the 80's / 90's, nor can you measure how much energy it takes out of a player when he plays hard-nosed Defense for an entire season/career, vs. guys who coast or slack on that end of the floor... nor can you calculate how much energy it takes when you're banging, pushing, shoving in the paint your entire career (ie; Bigs in the 80's/90's) vs. playing on the perimeter with virtually no physical contact (Jokic, and the Bigs today).

Thus, I stand on my contention that it's MUCH easier to produce Offensively when you're playing in a soft Contact era and coasting on Defense vs. playing solid, consistent Defense in a physical era your entire career... and I would bet that the vast majority of people who played the sport will concur with my assessment.